Schwalbe Tires on a Como

Electrified

Region
USA
I am looking to replace the stock tires on my Como 4 with something with a little more bite when riding on smooth off road trails or on hard packed beaches. I am looking at the Schwalbe Marathon Plus 27.5 x 2.25 or preferably the Jonny Watts 27.5 X 2.35. Has anyone with a Como fitted either of these tires?

I recently put the Schwalbe Marathon E-Plus tires on my 2021 Como 3.0 (2.75 x 2.0). So far I am very happy with them. They ride very smoothly on paved trails, although not quite as cushy as the original stock Nimbus tires. Also, they are better for gravel than the stock tires. I got them primarily because I wanted something more puncture resistant.

I recently put the Schwalbe Marathon E-Plus tires on my 2021 Como 3.0 (2.75 x 2.0). So far I am very happy with them. They ride very smoothly on paved trails, although not quite as cushy as the original stock Nimbus tires. Also, they are better for gravel than the stock tires. I got them primarily because I wanted something more puncture resistant.
How does the 27.5x2.0 compare size wise to the 27.5x2.3 Nimbus that came on the bike? I am hoping to use something as close to the original size as possible and I thought that I read somewhere on this site that Schwalbe tires run a little small.

The Schwalbe tires at 2.0 are definitely narrower than the 2.3 Nimbus tires. Not skinny, but definitely narrower which results in less air and a stiffer ride.

I am hoping to use something as close to the original size as possible and I thought that I read somewhere on this site that Schwalbe tires run a little small.
Johnny Watts are very good tyres with low rolling assistance and low noise for pavement and with very nice grip on gravel and mild off-road. The only thing you should be aware of is JW's loose grip at low temps (40s F and below) under wet conditions.

Johnny Watts are very good tyres with low rolling assistance and low noise for pavement and with very nice grip on gravel and mild off-road. The only thing you should be aware of is JW's loose grip at low temps (40s F and below) under wet conditions.
Well, I don't have to worry about that! I am a fair weather rider and if it is below 55 or 60 degrees I not on my Como. :)

I have been riding on Schwalbe Marathin E+ for a while now.
Changed the original tires of my Vado (Trigger) for the puncture resistance purpose.
It took a bit getting used to as it is a harder tire, less air, narrower.
I do have the Kinekt suspension seat post, and Ergon ST Core Prime saddle which softens the ride somewhat.
It wears less and I am not worried about flat at all.
One thing I have noticed as @Stefan Mikes has told us they are not very stable on sand.
I would characterize them as Jeep vs Cadillac ride.

Have you had a chance to mount yours yet?
Yes, I have had them on for a couple of weeks. I like them. A little more cushioned ride than the Marathon E+ and of course wider. They roll very smoothly on pavement and perform better than the Marathon E+ on gravel.

Installation was pretty straight forward, easier than the Marathon E+ and Specialized Nimbus Sport.

Well, mine is a full fender version and the tires should be installed next week so we shall see how they clear the fenders. I will post up picks and thoughts once they are on. Any chance you have a pic of yours with the JW's?

Last edited:
Any chance you have a pic of yours with the JW's?
As requested.
2022-03-22 09.25.39.jpg

2022-03-22 09.25.31.jpg
2022-03-22 09.25.21.jpg
2022-03-22 09.25.39.jpg
2022-03-22 09.25.31.jpg

I finally got the Johnny Watts installed on our fendered Comos. They fit great and ride exactly as hoped.

Attachments

• IMG_1336.jpeg
    IMG_1336.jpeg
    461.6 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_1337.jpeg
    IMG_1337.jpeg
    406.7 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_1341.jpeg
    IMG_1341.jpeg
    211.1 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_1338.jpeg
    IMG_1338.jpeg