Schwalbe customer service stinks

That's an incredible tour Andrew..!

Thanks but unfortunately it was 2,000 kilometres shorter than planned as a I got sick in Adelaide River a few days into the original ride from Darwin to Perth ... that would have been 5,000 kilometres and a little more adventurous (e.g., sharing the crossing of the Pentecost River with salt river crocodiles :))

bicycling-salt-water-crocadiles.jpg

If the Pentecost River is low like in this photo crossing is reasonably "safe" :)

Andrew

Did you buy AV19 or SV19 tubes?
I must have bought four of the Presta 220g versions before you convinced me to go with two of the 220g Schraeders so now I have (6) total of the Schwalbes. One of those versions was like $5 and change (each) for what I'm assuming is halfway decent quality rubber (or maybe this isn't possible any longer without spending significantly more in our new world economy).

I'll probably carry a spare Presta tube as suggested (use them up) and use a repair kit as my back up for the other tire until I switch over to the Schraeder/RideOn. What I remember reading here(?) was that the Presta design held air better yet your Schraeder with the goop seemed more bulletproof to me...hence the unintended multiple tubes on hand.

On a side note, what I enjoy about the Dash is that its rear wheel comes right off with no fuss when stranded.:)

Don't think it's about the tube, probably the tire that is the problem.. When I owned a bike with Kenda tires, I tried Green slime, extra thick tubes, extra extra thick tubes. No matter, the Kendas and the puncture resistant Kendas were horrible for flats. On the plus side I was able to patch a rear tube in less than 20 minutes.

Bike life improved greatly when I switched to 16" Moped tires to replace my 20" bicycle tires... No flats and the tire pressure held for months.

On a side note, what I enjoy about the Dash is that its rear wheel comes right off with no fuss when stranded.:)

I'm glad you didn't have trouble with the rear wheel. For me, I was surprised at all the trouble I had with the rear wheel when I had my flat. It was late in the day and I was already tired when I had my flat 10 miles from home. And I was ill prepared, so it didn't go well. Trying to deal with the derailleur and the disc brake at the same time was difficult, both in removing the wheel and installing the wheel. And because I didn't have flat grass to work on, I took the wheel off with the bike on it's side. And I vowed that when I got home I was going to practice rear wheel removal until it became easy.

So, the next morning I got up and went through practice drills. Here's what I learned.
  1. Turning the bike upside down makes it so much easier. I found I could rotate the LCD display forward and the Control Panel rearward so the bike could rest on the handlebars. I now carry 3 wash clothes to protect the handlebars and the seat when the bike is upside down.
  2. Removing the derailleur helps a lot. First, I got chain slack by taking the chain off the front chain ring. Then I removed the derailleur with the one big headed silver screw. Now, you're not fighting both the derailleur spring and the disc brake alignment.
I wish I would have practiced this at home before I had my flat on the road. That would have made it so much easier once I did have problems on the road.

Turning the bike upside down makes it so much easier. I found I could rotate the LCD display forward and the Control Panel rearward so the bike could rest on the handlebars. I now carry 3 wash clothes to protect the handlebars and the seat when the bike is upside down.

There's a snooty saying about never turning your bike upside down for maintenance but that is the first thing I do with any problem.. I also remove the seat to make it easier to balance. Never thought about removing the derailleur, but whatever works best for you.

I jsut make sure to bring the wrench, extra cable ties a patch kit and pump... Pretty much covers all problems.

"..I'm glad you didn't have trouble with the rear wheel..."

Whoa...:eek:let's back up a bit here! (and Court should get a kick out of this...)...I simply watched the Dash review posted and drank the Koolaid regarding flats as related to the quick release feature..."easy to do...easy fixes..."

....and by gosh, I was 'convinced'... hook, line and sinker! :p

Thanks for the heads up and the quick tutorial...I'll be practicing as well! (just kidding, Court);)

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the I'll get the Marathon Plus for my bike when these tires finally give it up. Maybe another 2000 kms? I figure I can give up a bit of comfort I get with the Big Ben's now that I'm rolling with the BodyFloat.

I was also surprised at how they shipped the tires. However, after the tires were out for a bit they seemed fine and I saw no damage to the wire bead or the tire from the twisting. I guess it's their way of sending a smaller package. The damage I have to one of my tires is a Schwalbe manufacturing defect.
On the plus side, this morning I did get a very nice email back from xxcycles asking me to reply back with the pictures I told them about. I have a good feeling about the tone of the email and I think xxcycles is going to take care of my problem.
Charly, two questions:
  1. you have ordered from XXCYCLE a couple times at least, did you ship the 7-10 day or the 2-3 day speed, and how long did it take?
  2. And you never did post the outcome of the bad tire episode. Did that work out? I just ordered the tires and the seatpost from them.

Charly, two questions:
  1. you have ordered from XXCYCLE a couple times at least, did you ship the 7-10 day or the 2-3 day speed, and how long did it take?
  2. And you never did post the outcome of the bad tire episode. Did that work out? I just ordered the tires and the seatpost from them.
  1. With the seatpost there were 3 shipping choices and I took the middle one because it had tracking.
  2. With the tires there were 2 choices and I choose the cheapest because the fastest one was way too expensive.
I seem to remember the seatpost took about 4 days and the tires took about a week or little longer to get. Xxcycle was very cooperative about the tire situation and said that they would send a replacement tire to me. However, I haven't received the tire yet.

P.S. It's been a while since I've installed the seatpost and I must say I still really like it. Sometimes, like a little kid, I give it a little bounce while I'm riding just to feel it working and it gives me a smile.

I simply watched the Dash review posted and drank the Koolaid regarding flats as related to the quick release feature...
I've always loved Kool-aid... hopefully I'm not contributing too much to this statistic with my over-exuberant electric bicycle review videos :rolleyes:

kool-aid-meme.jpg

For reference...

And you never did post the outcome of the bad tire episode. Did that work out?
Well, after some time I finally received my replacement tire from XXcycle. I now have my Schwalbe Marathon Plus 2014 tires mounted along with Schraeder valve Schwalbe AV19 inner tubes. Also, added Ride-On tire sealant for bicycles. Now, I should be fairly protected from flats. If not, I have a spare AV19 inner tube I carry in my trunk bag.

Sure is nice to have Schraeder valves instead of those skinny Presta valves.

Well, after some time I finally received my replacement tire from XXcycle. I now have my Schwalbe Marathon Plus 2014 tires mounted along with Schraeder valve Schwalbe AV19 inner tubes...
Glad you're back up and running Charly! Hope the tires hold up well and you can enjoy the bike :)

Back