Saddle

Nxkharra

I have a 2020 Vado 5.0 and thinking to change saddle.
Does anyone have experience with Specialized S Works Power Arc ?
Aside from the brand name what makes a saddle this expensive? Graphite? Is it much more comfortable to ride than less expensive good quality ones?
here is a pic.

Attachments

• FC14BF8F-9037-4C8C-9782-70107A4BADA0.jpeg
    FC14BF8F-9037-4C8C-9782-70107A4BADA0.jpeg
    103 KB · Views: 529
That saddle looks to be for a road bike. This type of saddle is usually not well suited for a more upright riding position of your Vado 5.0.
I recently took my Fabric saddle off my carbon road bike to try on my Pedego Ridgerider ebike, which has an upright riding position. I love this saddle on my road bike, but found it very uncomfortable on my RidgeRidger.
Personally I prefer a much wider, more comfortable saddle on a commuter style ebike.

Aside from the brand name what makes a saddle this expensive? Graphite? Is it much more comfortable to ride than less expensive good quality ones?
here is a pic.
Is the standard Vado saddle causing you pain? Adjustments (saddle, grips, handle bars, etc) can be made to help with most symptoms. Many LBS have bike fit services to address this. If this doesn't resolve the issue then look at a different saddle.

You don't need to spend a ton of money to get a saddle that feels right. With that said any saddle feels a bit uncomfortable until you get accustomed to it. Even then the right padded shorts can go a long way to reducing sore spots on long rides.

So, choosing a new saddle. Lots of options. WTB has had a fit system for a while now; https://www.wtb.com/pages/wtb-saddle-fit-system . My son tells me this has been replaced with their newer Fit Right System; https://www.wtb.com/pages/fit-right-system ; with very good results.

Like fit systems offered by other manufacturers these systems get you to a range of saddles that should work best for you. Your LBS can make recommendations from there or even loan you a saddle or two.

Like fit systems offered by other manufacturers these systems get you to a range of saddles that should work best for you. Your LBS can make recommendations from there or even loan you a saddle or two.
As @Sierratim says, the answer is to get a saddle from a place that will let you return it. My local LBSes will generally allow for a free return within maybe 14 days provided the saddle is returned 100% pristine so it can be resold. REI has a limited selection, but almost unlimited return policy.

Another rule I've found is that you can't tell anything from appearance or by feeling the padding with your fingers, or even from just sitting statically on them. In fact, it's often the inverse: the saddle that feels best in the showroom is often the worst after an hour or two on the road. I've found this to apply to bikes, motorcycles, and even cars. YMMV.

@Nxkharra, I found the Specialized Canopy Comp (Women) saddle very comfortable. I use Selle Royale Respiro Moderate Women's on my other bike; that one is very large and suspended with some springs. However, I always wear chamois on my rides.

P.S. Is everybody here aware you don't wear anything under the chamois?

1586956420278.png

Specialized Canopy Comp.

1586956531428.png

Selle Royale Respiro Moderate Women's

Last edited:
@Nxkharra, I found the Specialized Canopy Comp (Women) saddle very comfortable. I use Selle Royale Respiro Moderate Women's on my other bike; that one is very large and suspended with some springs. However, I always wear chamois on my rides.
I am happy with the Respiro Athletic on my road bike and am planning on trying the (Men's) Respiro Moderate on the Vado since the seating position is more upright than on my Felt. I'm not sure when this will happen, but I will surely post the results.

View attachment 49900
Specialized Canopy Comp.

View attachment 49901
Canopy Comp is not available online anymore!

here is a pic.
As an aside, for about the same $ as this off-the-shelf high end saddle, you can get a made in California custom fitted saddle at https://www.meld3d.com/. They have very good reviews but seem like an extreme solution unless you have a specific issue that more affordable saddles can't address; https://www.velonews.com/gear/apparel-accessories/technical-faq-happiness-is-a-custom-saddle/ .

View attachment 49900
Specialized Canopy Comp.

View attachment 49901
I wear chamois for rides over ~20 miles. Other than that I just jump on the bike and go (with a helmet). The only thing between me and the chamois is chamois cream (I know, TMI).

Specialized Power saddle is appropriate for Vado, but not for Como riding position. If you set your Vado up with riser bars or a riser stem to get a more upright position, then that can change how a saddle feels. A Specialized dealer will have an Assometer to measure your sit bone width. You can also get that from WTB, SMP, etc and take that measurement to other brands too. I am generally a 137 to 145 range in saddles, but the subtle shaping in each saddle is the final determining factor. Most reputable brands seem to have a 30 day trial.
Weight weenies tend to move up the scale in price and buy saddles with Ti or carbon rails and carbon chassis. Look up the top line full carbon SMP saddles for real beauties. Expensive, but if they fit....worth their weight in gold.

My SMP Dynamic I swear I could ride bare naked. But was a shot in the dark when I ordered it for my road bike. I have tried their other saddles that are more upright-oriented, but with not the same satisfaction. I am going to try one of the Power saddles this spring. It is snowing very hard outside right now so not sure when that will be:)

Guys, I have to quote Jerome K. Jerome again (the text is from the year 1900):

"Can you think of any saddle ever advertised that you have not tried?"

He said: "It has been an idea of mine that the right saddle is to be found."

I said: "You give up that idea; this is an imperfect world of joy and sorrow mingled. There may be a better land where bicycle saddles are made out of rainbow, stuffed with cloud; in this world the simplest thing is to get used to something hard. There was that saddle you bought in Birmingham; it was divided in the middle, and looked like a pair of kidneys."

He said: "You mean that one constructed on anatomical principles."

"Very likely," I replied. "The box you bought it in had a picture on the cover, representing a sitting skeleton--or rather that part of a skeleton which does sit."

He said: "It was quite correct; it showed you the true position of the--"

I said: "We will not go into details; the picture always seemed to me indelicate."

He said: "Medically speaking, it was right."

"Possibly," I said, "for a man who rode in nothing but his bones. I only know that I tried it myself, and that to a man who wore flesh it was agony. Every time you went over a stone or a rut it nipped you; it was like riding on an irritable lobster. You rode that for a month."

"I thought it only right to give it a fair trial," he answered.

I said: "You gave your family a fair trial also; if you will allow me the use of slang. Your wife told me that never in the whole course of your married life had she known you so bad tempered, so un-Christian like, as you were that month. Then you remember that other saddle, the one with the spring under it."

He said: "You mean 'the Spiral.'"

I said: "I mean the one that jerked you up and down like a Jack-in-the-box; sometimes you came down again in the right place, and sometimes you didn't. I am not referring to these matters merely to recall painful memories, but I want to impress you with the folly of trying experiments at your time of life."
🤣

I've tried way too many saddles. Nothing has proven more comfortable over time than my Selle Anatomica H2
This:

In short:
Jerome K. Jerome said:
I said: "It irritated me; it must have been worse for you. Then there are saddles," I went on--I wished to get this lesson home to him. "Can you think of any saddle ever advertised that you have not tried?"

He said: "It has been an idea of mine that the right saddle is to be found."

:D

Back