RV owner looking for two folding bikes.

mamapapa

Need one that will fit my 5'2" frame. I am 5'2", 130 lbs. My husband is 5'10" and 220lbs. A step through would be helpful. My husband could not get a good leg extension with the folding bikes that we tried. We are hoping to spend under 1500.00 each. We have a motorhome and tow a small SUV. We thought we could fold them and put them in the SUV.

Radmini step thru- may only come with fat tires

Bagibike step thru- bagibike has fat and regular size tire models

Voltbike has some folders but not sure about step thrus

Need one that will fit my 5'2" frame. I am 5'2", 130 lbs. My husband is 5'10" and 220lbs. A step through would be helpful. My husband could not get a good leg extension with the folding bikes that we tried. We are hoping to spend under 1500.00 each. We have a motorhome and tow a small SUV. We thought we could fold them and put them in the SUV.
Hello MamaPapa -cool username - You are in a similar situation to me a couple months ago. Look at the thread "Hunting a Unicorn " and you will see that what I started thinking I wanted is 180 degrees from what I bought. I thought I needed two folders with throttle and I bought two standard middrive bikes without. I'm happy, and wish you a happy hunt! BTW I haul them in this ... 20190921_142407.jpg

Be sure to try the exercise of folding one and lifting them into the car. Mr. mamapapa may well have the back strength for it. For many, it's a deal breaker. THEY ARE HEAVY!
The RadPower bikes are pretty popular, and owners seem to like them. l understand Aventon has a new folder out as well.

Be sure to try the exercise of folding one and lifting them into the car. Mr. mamapapa may well have the back strength for it. For many, it's a deal breaker. THEY ARE HEAVY!
The RadPower bikes are pretty popular, and owners seem to like them. l understand Aventon has a new folder out as well.
He puts them in the bed of his truck.

Not all folders are heavy, mostly just the fat tires

the 2 inch tire ones are about the same as other bikes, 50lbs or so

2 things - if hauling in a truck bed and you don’t really need folders bigger tire step thrus 26 inch tire etc are probably more comfortable to ride and they don’t weigh more even though bigger

And You might consider a light dirt bike motorcycle ramp for that rather than lifting them

Can be much easier even with normal weight 50lbs ebikes
They are unwieldy lifting especially that high

hope that helps, good luck with your search

Just announced on Electrek... a nice price for a lightweight electric folder.

The lightweight aluminum bike tips the scales at just 12.9 kg (28.4 lb), making it one of the lightest folding e-bikes out there. There are a few other lighter options, but most cost 3-5x the price of the Fiido D11. The bike will be priced at just $799 when it goes on sale next month. That price includes a $500 pre-order discount from the Fiido D11’s MSRP of $1,299.
While we rarely cover crowdfunding campaigns due to the uncertainty that many customers feel when backing new products, Fiido has already delivered several models of e-bikes and thus has a trustworthiness advantage over the myriad of Indiegogo startups out there.

1591655426272.png

1591655488039.png

Last edited:
He wants to put it in SUV. 50 lbs weight of a 2" folder is still a lot, the folded package is bulky and awkward, not easy to lift. 65-68 lbs of a fat folder I wouldn't want to lift, any spine problems won't be easy to fix.

Fido D11 sounds nice, on the paper :). Possible caveat is proprietary battery that you won't find anywhere else, and not clear how easy it is to remove on daily basis. Also - what motor. There is Bafang, and then there is everything else. I hear terrible things about lower quality geared hubs.

I thought someone said truck bed not SUV

all of these bikes are heavy except maybe that new one you just listed which is intriguing

but I agree about the battery and motor, I looked and did not see what motor that is

and some of the quali sports with the battery in the seat tube are lighter

or a gocycle

But the same could be said for all of the full-size bikes, they are all 50 pounds also

He wants to put it in SUV. 50 lbs weight of a 2" folder is still a lot, the folded package is bulky and awkward, not easy to lift. 65-68 lbs of a fat folder I wouldn't want to lift, any spine problems won't be easy to fix.

Fido D11 sounds nice, on the paper :). Possible caveat is proprietary battery that you won't find anywhere else, and not clear how easy it is to remove on daily basis. Also - what motor. There is Bafang, and then there is everything else. I hear terrible things about lower quality geared hubs.
Lots here for the OP when they return. Please remember that you will only have 1 bike per person at camp. Are you going to ride streets or trails, flat land or hills, and what do you like to ride ...

He puts them in the bed of his truck.

She said they want to put them in the back of their SUV.
If I did that with any frequency I would have herniated disks. ;)

I load my full-size bikes in the back of the truck as well - you only have to lift half the bike at a time. And no reaching. The act of picking up 65lbs and then lifting it over a trunk apron or into a vehicle definitely takes some back strength. Just a word of caution to try it, make sure it's do-able, with whatever bikes you choose.

I've always said, if I had a RV boat or aircraft, and they had to fit into a compartment, a folder might be an option. Otherwise they hold zero interest for me. JMHO. I don't even consider them 'real bikes'. LOL Some of them are cute though, and look fun for tootling around. A lot of people are happy with that. If you're going to put lots of miles on a bike it makes a difference what you choose.

For me, I would put a hitch rack on that suv and put a couple of real bikes on there - like a rover and a city. Or some such.

Sorry I did not read the original post well

nice thing about using folders and putting them inside the suv is they don’t get wet, nobody sees them etc

but agree it is not fun to lift them in there

But not much more fun lifting them onto a rack either
ebikes are not fun to lift period

the weight thing is always an issue

maybe gocycles or one of the 2 inch tire folder that are lighter
That fido someone listed

agree it matters how long, where and what terrain they want to ride on for bigger bikes vs folder

I get the appeal of two folders for inside the suv though, and for me personally if I only wanted to do 10-15 mile rides would probably get the folders because I hate messing with covering and locking up bikes when travelling

It is the only reason I drive a van now

Parking bikes at camp under an awning is no biggie. If you have to drive in the rain, well then that's a different story. Especially if they're perched off the back of a vehicle on a rack. The truck box isn't as bad.

Last edited:
Sorry I did not read the original post well

nice thing about using folders and putting them inside the suv is they don’t get wet, nobody sees them etc ...

But not much more fun lifting them onto a rack either
ebikes are not fun to lift period ... the weight thing is always an issue ..
how long, where and what terrain they want to ride ofor bigger bikes vs folder I hate messing with covering and locking up bikes when travelling

It is the only reason I drive a van now
No longer talking to OP so off topic is OK, I guess, if three quarters of americans rode bikes they will need the other quarter just to drive the vans, rvs, and support.
The thread I mentioned covered tailgate racks driving rain @ 60 mph ebikes.

No longer talking to OP so off topic is OK, I guess, if three quarters of americans rode bikes they will need the other quarter just to drive the vans, rvs, and support.
The thread I mentioned covered tailgate racks driving rain @ 60 mph ebikes.
Mixing expensive ebikes and rainwater and theft risk while traveling is a risky thing to do. I'd love a nice dry rv basement box like the big rigs have. I asked about full size folders and found a few online.

Lol
That is why I have a toy hauler and while I like a different floor plan for the next one it is hard to give up the garage of the toy hauler ...

I did not mean to take the thread off topic

did these people ever reply? Or are you talking to them some other way

hope they get some cool bikes that work for them and their Rv set up

would like to hear their feedback on what they end up buying and how it does

Mixing expensive ebikes and rainwater and theft risk while traveling is a risky thing to do. I'd love a nice dry rv basement box like the big rigs have. I asked about full size folders and found a few online.
The only folding ebike I put in the van was a pair of Voltbike Mariners ? of around 70lbs each. And they blocked the galley.

The only folding ebike I put in the van was a pair of Voltbike Mariners ? of around 70lbs each. And they blocked the galley.
Good luck and happy hunting to them and an interesting bit of off topic. That's what I like about this forum ...

That is a lot of Sag Wagons... as we often relied on when I was a roadie on long multi-day supported rides.

Last edited:
One van will carry one driver (no ai so far) three riders, three bikes, and a trailer full of parts and supplies.

Back