Rules

Traveler7477

I'm at a state park in pa. I have a bulls monster e fs class one. I was just told by the grounds keeper no motorized vehicles in state parks. Im at Swatara state park in pa. I thought class one bikes were considered regular mountain bikes. Can someone help? Thanks

I think the people for bikes website now has a state by state list of laws. Each state differs at this point as to what and where you're allowed to ride.

I know Pennsylvania has a law that backs up federal regulations, 750w and below. Tell him the law defines ebikes as bicycles and not motorized vehicles. As him to quote the regulation that bans bikes (of course they don't have one, they allow bikes).

Do they make you park your vehicles at the entrance and walk in or perhaps provide a horse and buggy?

I find in the southwest the only laws that seems to be constant is an ebike is allowed along side where any other street legal or off-road use only motorized vehicle are allowed like (unless otherwise posted):
- paved and unpaved federal/state public roads
- federal/state/local park roads designated for off road vehicles use also

Private land you can do anything you like with the owner's permission. Just got back from Arches and Canyonland National parks in Utah and no bikes of any kind were allowed near the main attractions accessible by paved roads (hiking in/out only from parking areas). The paved and dirt roads getting there were open to everything with a motor or pedal power (signs posted on paved roads to tell drivers to give cyclist room when passing). The south rim of the Grand Canyon allows (e)bikes on the trails and main roads on either side of the south rim overlook. You can also ride the main roads or bike paths behind the overlook areas. Too many tourist anyways around the main lookout points and having a (e)bike is an excellent way to see parts of Grand Canyon without having 20-50 strangers in every picture.

In my hometown, ebikes are allowed anywhere a regular bikes can go on paved/unpaved bike trails, single track, city/state parks, etc... We also have to share some walking/hiking/bike trails with horses and they do more damage (and dump more crap) than 1000 (e)bikes. We follow the same restrictions for MTB on certain hiking trails and some don't allow any types of bikes. I find some places have local rules/laws targeting ebikes on trails like Sedona, AZ. They do allow MTB in parks within city limits; but, strictly exclude any ebikes and force them to use off-road trails with other motorized vehicles.

The only choice you have is to remove the battery from your ebike if it is geared to operated without power (don't think just powering it off would be enough). That way if you get stopped by the local enforcement, you can tell them the ebike is just a bike without the battery installed. You can install the battery back if you need to use the main roads to get back a little faster. My 7-speed +65lbs Radrover feels like I'm pedaling through sand if I remove the battery and I could only do this down hill or flat terrain only (slight tail wind would be helpful also).

Back