Rohloff kit transformation?

Hi @webcurl

This is probably a better representation of the ride - as it visualises it.

https://www.relive.cc/view/v8qkd1gGdKv

To answer your questions:

1. 1000wh total
  2. I'm not the lightest chap, so all up with the bike and camping gear I'd say close to 140kg
  3. SuperMotoX
  4. Sealed 95% of way, some light gravel tracks in sections.
  5. 18.1kph - was never trying to go fast as was trying to boost range as much as possible, so kept it in Eco and up to Touring for some of the steeper climbs. Turned power off going down hills and on a few flat scenic areas where I wanted to go slower and admire the view.
Cheers

Hi @webcurl

1. 1000wh total
  2. I'm not the lightest chap, so all up with the bike and camping gear I'd say close to 140kg
  3. SuperMotoX
  5. 18.1kph - was never trying to go fast as was trying to boost range as much as possible, so kept it in Eco and up to Touring for some of the steeper climbs. Turned power off going down hills and on a few flat scenic areas where I wanted to go slower and admire the view.
Cheers
That is the most amazing bike app I've ever seen.

Marc

Hi @webcurl

1. 1000wh total
  3. SuperMotoX
Cheers
Cheers mate.

So, I've not spent a ton of time a Rohloff except during a test ride, but I spent years on a road bike with a derailleur (a 21-speed).

The main thing that hit me is that the shifting really asks you to be more intentional. What kept tripping me up in the test ride was that I was used to being able to make a larger down shift with the front gears, and tune it with the back if I got caught in too high a gear on a hill. With the Rohloff, you have to spool the gears, by which time I'd have run out of steam on certain hills near the LBS. But if you can be more pre-emptive in your shifting, it's fine. This should be pretty similar to the Touring though, since you don't have front gears.

I also wasn't a huge fan of the Kiox's tiny number showing the gear you were in, or the button shifter. I wish they had spent R&D budget on a good set of electronic triggers or twist shifter.
Sadly the shifter is a generic component that they pad printed their logo onto - I too hope for a better e14 shifter in the future.

So, I've not spent a ton of time a Rohloff except during a test ride, but I spent years on a road bike with a derailleur (a 21-speed).

The main thing that hit me is that the shifting really asks you to be more intentional. What kept tripping me up in the test ride was that I was used to being able to make a larger down shift with the front gears, and tune it with the back if I got caught in too high a gear on a hill. With the Rohloff, you have to spool the gears, by which time I'd have run out of steam on certain hills near the LBS. But if you can be more pre-emptive in your shifting, it's fine. This should be pretty similar to the Touring though, since you don't have front gears.

I also wasn't a huge fan of the Kiox's tiny number showing the gear you were in, or the button shifter. I wish they had spent R&D budget on a good set of electronic triggers or twist shifter.
With the manual shifter it's not too difficult to shift 1,2 3,4 or 5 gears in either direction at once and with practice can usually be done quicker than the E14.
It's a pity that R&M don't offer a choice of E14 or Manual.

Last edited:
Sadly the shifter is a generic component that they pad printed their logo onto - I too hope for a better e14 shifter in the future.
You’re the second person to point that out in this thread to me. But yes, I‘m aware the shifter is rebadged. I was just trying to be concise with my comment.

With the manual shifter it's not too difficult to shift 1,2 3,4 or 5 gears in either direction at once and with practice can usually be done quicker than the E14.
That‘s exactly why I wish they’d offer an electronic twist shifter. The button pad is the weak link in the chain of the E-14. But with an electronic shifting mechanism, they aren’t stuck with it, and they wouldn’t have to give up the auto-downshift or the motor cutoff features to enable triggers or even a twist shifter as an upgrade option.

I would also like to see an amount of intelligent auto shifting based around some riding conditions. It could also be customisable based around user requirements.

It's a pity that R&M don't offer a choice of E14 or Manual.
Worked on a Supercharger with manual Rohloff for over a year - I personally found it to feel like absolute garbage no matter what solutions we came up with. The e14 system at least communicates with the drive unit to cut power when the shift button is pressed, and we're no longer dealing with ridiculous shift housing routing/tight bends due to Powertube - two things I felt kept the shifting on the aforementioned Supercharger from ever feeling good.

Last edited:
I would also like to see an amount of intelligent auto shifting based around some riding conditions. It could also be customisable based around user requirements.
That works with something like Nuvinci because of the lack of indexing - it'd be far harder to design an automatically shifting indexed IGH when they're so sensitive to shifting under load by nature.

Even better:
Anyone watch these videos?
It would be nice to see someone chime in with experience on an E14 and say if the kind of shifting this dude does in these videos is possible.
I'm willing to bet it's not possible on an E14 because of the built-in delay.
With practice, imho the manual shifter reigns supreme.
And if/when i get another R&M it would of course be a belt/rohloff model and I would be taking out the E14 and putting an external gear mech & manual twist shifter on.

You’re the second person to point that out in this thread to me. But yes, I‘m aware the shifter is rebadged. I was just trying to be concise with my comment.

That‘s exactly why I wish they’d offer an electronic twist shifter. The button pad is the weak link in the chain of the E-14. But with an electronic shifting mechanism, they aren’t stuck with it, and they wouldn’t have to give up the auto-downshift or the motor cutoff features to enable triggers or even a twist shifter as an upgrade option.
That would be better, so as to allow a down/up shift of 7/whatever gears at once with only 1 delay (cut motor/shift).

Anyone watch these videos?
It would be nice to see someone chime in with experience on an E14 and say if the kind of shifting this dude does in these videos is possible.
I'm willing to bet it's not possible on an E14 because of the built-in delay.
With practice, imho the manual shifter reigns supreme.
And if/when i get another R&M it would of course be a belt/rohloff model and I would be taking out the E14 and putting an external gear mech & manual twist shifter on.
Please do share the results if you end up doing it! It's worth noting the frames aren't designed to accommodate manual Rohloff anymore and finding way to route those two lines of housing from the handlebar to the rear hub may take some creative problem solving if you want them routed internally.

Last edited:
Nashdm2 wrote- "I would also like to see an amount of intelligent auto shifting based around some riding conditions. It could also be customisable based around user requirements."

Welcome to Enviolo Automatiq.

That would be better, so as to allow a down/up shift of 7/whatever gears at once with only 1 delay (cut motor/shift).
It would also have to have a user customization parameter of how long to wait from when the shifter stops moving to actually initiating the shift, from 1/100 to 1 second.

Back