Rode the Specialized Turbo Creo SL Comp

I cannot agree to that. My Vado has a 48T Praxis Wave Narrow-Wide chainring and an 11-46T cassette. No chain drop over more than a year :)

That could be the reason. My chains have always been properly aligned.

Agreed.
Stefan - Apples and Oranges...totally different bikes. You are comparing a Vado to a Creo. Did Specialized add a stock chain guide to the Vado to prevent inside chain drop? Not that I am aware of so expectedly, it must not be a problem.

You state you have a “Praxis Wave Narrow/Wide. You are combining two different technologies into a single statement. Praxis Wave technology is not the same as narrow/wide. It’s teeth has the same profile but alternate in an inside/outside pattern relying on lateral force to retain the chain. Their website actually states:
  • In very rough terrain, or just for pure security, we still recommend use of an upper guide
A narrow-wide chainring’s teeth in contrast alternates one narrow and one wide tooth all the way around the circumference of the ring. This alternation corresponds to the different sized gaps between the chain’s inner and outer plates.
Tooth heights are the same. Tooth widths vary between standard (narrow) and wide.
Narrow/wide is alternating narrow and wider teeth. It relies on friction to keep the chain on.

I am not arguing one technology over another. I was simply stating what riders of the Creo, not the Vado, are experiencing and for some, by swapping Praxis Wave technology for a N/W variant technology, it has solved their chain drop issues.

Nevertheless, I’m not sure I understand what you agreeing and disagreeing to has any bearing on the facts. Specialized obviously agrees with it by adding the stock chain guide to the 2021 Creo models and their the ultimate authority.

For those of you who actually ride a Creo, and have been experiencing chain drops, if you have a model that does not come with the chain guide, and want to try it, the rumor is Specialized will eventually start selling it as a after market part. The purported SKU is S211200002 but a search of the Specialized US website yields no results. Maybe check with your dealer.

Last edited:
Stefan - Apples and Oranges...totally different bikes. You are comparing a Vado to a Creo. Did Specialized add a stock chain guide to the Vado to prevent inside chain drop? Not that I am aware of so expectedly, it must not be a problem.

You state you have a “Praxis Wave Narrow/Wide. You are combining two different technologies into a single statement. Praxis Wave technology is not the same as narrow/wide. It’s teeth has the same profile but alternate in an inside/outside pattern relying on lateral force to retain the chain. Their website actually states:
  • In very rough terrain, or just for pure security, we still recommend use of an upper guide
A narrow-wide chainring’s teeth in contrast alternates one narrow and one wide tooth all the way around the circumference of the ring. This alternation corresponds to the different sized gaps between the chain’s inner and outer plates.
Tooth heights are the same. Tooth widths vary between standard (narrow) and wide.
Narrow/wide is alternating narrow and wider teeth. It relies on friction to keep the chain on.

I am not arguing one technology over another. I was simply stating what riders of the Creo, not the Vado, are experiencing and for some, by swapping Praxis Wave technology for a N/W variant technology, it has solved their chain drop issues.

Nevertheless, I’m not sure I understand what you agreeing and disagreeing to has any bearing on the facts. Specialized obviously agrees with it by adding the stock chain guide to the 2021Creo models and their the ultimate authority.

For those of you who actually ride a Creo, and have been experiencing chain drops, if you have a model that does not come with the chain guide, and want to try it, the rumor is Specialized will eventually start selling it as a after market part. The purported SKU is S211200002 but a search of the Specialized US website yields no results. Maybe check with you dealer.
How is it possible to misalign the chain on the chain ring? You got teeth and you got the space between the links. Seems to me they align automatically. I don't get what the decal does that shows the chain links on the back of the ring.

I've ridden my Creo Exp the entire summer/fall with no sign of chain drop. Once again, my riding is specifically focused on road cycling so I may not be the ideal candidate for an occurrence. However, I have ridden over a number of cattle grids and bunny hopped curbs though these actions may not be sufficient to create an incident. Specialized obviously feels that there have been enough reported events to warrant installing a chain guide on the new models so I'll certainly be keeping an eye on this issue.

How is it possible to misalign the chain on the chain ring? You got teeth and you got the space between the links. Seems to me they align automatically. I don't get what the decal does that shows the chain links on the back of the ring.
Checkout this pic. Notice the pattern of the links left to right...inside-outside-inside. Just align the teeth on your chainring in a matching pattern to your chain. FEE0043E-B03B-4E1C-A380-43C489CC1EAC.jpeg

Last edited:
I've ridden my Creo Exp the entire summer/fall with no sign of chain drop. Once again, my riding is specifically focused on road cycling so I may not be the ideal candidate for an occurrence. However, I have ridden over a number of cattle grids and bunny hopped curbs though these actions may not be sufficient to create an incident. Specialized obviously feels that there have been enough reported events to warrant installing a chain guide on the new models so I'll certainly be keeping an eye on this issue.
Agreed, it is not an issue for everyone. Probably more prevalent on internet boards and forums as people tend to migrate to them to find solutions to their issues. For me it’s personal as I once ruined a relatively new and very expensive Bianchi carbon frame due to chain drop off the chainring. Cost $500 to repair and felt the frame was never the same. Therefore, I am probably more sensitive to it than most. I am just glad Specialized addressed it proactively.
D415BA66-20D3-47C6-A3E3-211A90F6BAB9.jpeg

Checkout this pic. Notice the pattern of the links left to right...inside-outside-inside. Just align the teeth on your chainring in a matching pattern to your chain. View attachment 72077
I own a Turbo Creo Sl Evo Expert. I have never dropped the chain. I wonder if all Creos have those weird chainrings? I wonder if mine does? Can't recall seeing the alignment marking on mine. Will double check.

I own a Turbo Creo Sl Evo Expert. I have never dropped the chain. I wonder if all Creos have those weird chainrings? I wonder if mine does? Can't recall seeing the alignment marking on mine. Will double check.
My bike is Di2 with Ultegra shifters and I see no Wave Tech on my crank. Good!

I believe they are all Praxis Waves, just different sizes. A quick look at the Praxis website shows all the 1x Wave rings have the alignment aid.

My bike is Di2 with Ultegra shifters and I see no Wave Tech on my crank. Good!
Interesting pictures from the Specialized website. The first is the 2020 Carbon Expert EVO. The second is the 2021 Carbon Expert Evo. Chain alignment and Wave logo visible on the 2020, but not the 2021. Chain guide visible in the 2021 as well. Eddief - what year is your bike?

6C138498-8938-432B-A36F-30353710C21E.jpegBDDECC73-1383-4BA1-999C-0D8F9E2FB36A.png

Last edited:
Interesting pictures from the Specialized website. The first is the 2020 Carbon Expert EVO. The second is the 2021 Carbon Expert Evo. Chain alignment and Wave logo visible on the 2020, but not the 2021. Chain guide visible in the 2021 as well. Eddief - what year is your bike?View attachment 72095View attachment 72096
early 2020. For example, while my bike is the dark color version and not this 2021 yellow version, this yellow version does not show the Wave logo on the chain ring. so maybe some bikes getting them, some not: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/t...434?color=302546-184434&searchText=98121-3301

Last edited:
My Creo SL Exp also happens to be a MY20 and only shows a Wave Tech logo on the recessed portion of the chainring no diagram anywhere else on the part. FWIW, both chains on our Creos are aligned properly with the inner and outer plates.
IMG_20201121_1419419.jpg

Nevertheless, I’m not sure I understand what you agreeing and disagreeing to has any bearing on the facts. Specialized obviously agrees with it by adding the stock chain guide to the 2021Creo models and their the ultimate authority.

For those of you who actually ride a Creo, and have been experiencing chain drops, if you have a model that does not come with the chain guide, and want to try it, the rumor is Specialized will eventually start selling it as a after market part. The purported SKU is S211200002 but a search of the Specialized US website yields no results. Maybe check with you dealer.
When I got my Creo Comp Carbon a few weeks ago the lbs told me that Specialized was rolling over the 2020 into 21. Could be that adding the chain guide would not be considered a significant change, but wondering if anyone has actually seen a 2021 Creo comp carbon with a chain guide included?

When I got my Creo Comp Carbon a few weeks ago the lbs told me that Specialized was rolling over the 2020 into 21. Could be that adding the chain guide would not be considered a significant change, but wondering if anyone has actually seen a 2021 Creo comp carbon with a chain guide included?
They did did not release a 2021 Comp model. Only Expert and S-Works models where released as 2021 with a few changes...chain guide, road remotes among a few other minor “upgrades”. Your LBS told you correctly that there is not a 2021 Comp model and the 2020 has simply been extended for 2021.

Last edited:
They did did not release a 2021 Comp model. Only Expert and S-Works models where released as 2021 with a few changes...chain guide, road remotes among a few other minor “upgrades”. Your LBS told you correctly that there is not a 2021 Comp model and the 2020 has simply been extended for 2021.
Thanks.

Interesting pictures from the Specialized website. The first is the 2020 Carbon Expert EVO. The second is the 2021 Carbon Expert Evo. Chain alignment and Wave logo visible on the 2020, but not the 2021.
To make things even more confusing:
My MY 2017 Vado came with a Praxis Wave 104 BCD 48T chainring with the chain alignment diagram on the inside. When I bought the exact replacement ring several days ago (it is still MY17, nothing has changed since for Vado 5 or 6), the diagram turned out to be outside. So Praxis is not consistent and no conclusion could be drawn by judging by the chainring alone.

Always look at the Part Number:

1606029019249.png

MY20.

1606029107252.png

MY21.

Last edited:
MY CORRECTION: I triple checked my chainring this morning. And indeed the little alignment graphic is on the inside of the ring. I have had the chain off to clean it and reinstalled without ever noticing the graphic. Fortunately when I looked this morning it turns out I accidentally aligned it correctly.

Back