Rode the Specialized Turbo Creo SL Comp

drodg

Friday I finally had a test ride on a Turbo Creo Comp SL carbon and I loved it . It was everything that I thought the Trek Domane LT would be but after two test rides convinced it was not what I was looking for. The temps here were 44 F so didn't take a long ride but felt like I had a long enough ride to really get a feel for it. I thought it felt light ( I currently ride a Trek Madone that weighs about 16.5 lbs) and I really liked the overall power from the first and mid ranges especially. I should say I am 63 and hitting the issues that comes with age......The ride felt comfortable and it was a very quiet bike. My hesitation is color. The satin carbon I have to admit I don't really love and the other two colors blue and light grey are not available in a large frame. The store is not taking very much off but they are discounting some but not enough for me to say oh I can live with the color. Are the 2021 Comp SL Carbon bikes coming out? The Expert is out for 2021 but I really don't want to spend 9000 US for the higher line bike. I really want the Comp SL carbon frame. Anyhow great bike. Thanks for everyone's posts on here over the summer that has kind of led me down this path.

I was hoping for a 2021 Comp Carbon as well, not due to color but to get the Road Remote and chain keeper on the other 2021 models. I inquired with my dealer and am active in a few Creo online groups and so far I have no word on a 2021 Comp Carbon forthcoming. Fortunately I can add the upgrades to the 2020 model, which are currently sold out once the backlog is made up.

I was hoping for a 2021 Comp Carbon as well, not due to color but to get the Road Remote and chain keeper on the other 2021 models. I inquired with my dealer and am active in a few Creo online groups and so far I have no word on a 2021 Comp Carbon forthcoming. Fortunately I can add the upgrades to the 2020 model, which are currently sold out once the backlog is made up.
Same here. I've been keeping an eye out for an update to the Comp Carbon that hopefully includes some of the changes seen in the 2021 Expert: road remote, chain keeper, 30mm tires, Kush bar tape (happens to be what I use on my bikes) and new colors. I, too, don't like any of the current Comp Carbon colors and would much prefer to have the road remote already installed at time of purchase.

Same here. I've been keeping an eye out for an update to the Comp Carbon that hopefully includes some of the changes seen in the 2021 Expert: road remote, chain keeper, 30mm tires, Kush bar tape (happens to be what I use on my bikes) and new colors. I, too, don't like any of the current Comp Carbon colors and would much prefer to have the road remote already installed at time of purchase.
So glad to hear I am not alone in this. My LBS has five road remotes on order not really sure when they are supposed to come in. Thanks

Friday I finally had a test ride on a Turbo Creo Comp SL carbon and I loved it . It was everything that I thought the Trek Domane LT would be but after two test rides convinced it was not what I was looking for. The temps here were 44 F so didn't take a long ride but felt like I had a long enough ride to really get a feel for it. I thought it felt light ( I currently ride a Trek Madone that weighs about 16.5 lbs) and I really liked the overall power from the first and mid ranges especially. I should say I am 63 and hitting the issues that comes with age......The ride felt comfortable and it was a very quiet bike. My hesitation is color. The satin carbon I have to admit I don't really love and the other two colors blue and light grey are not available in a large frame. The store is not taking very much off but they are discounting some but not enough for me to say oh I can live with the color. Are the 2021 Comp SL Carbon bikes coming out? The Expert is out for 2021 but I really don't want to spend 9000 US for the higher line bike. I really want the Comp SL carbon frame. Anyhow great bike. Thanks for everyone's posts on here over the summer that has kind of led me down this path.
Age 79. Also have a Madone. Bought a Creo Comp Carbon about 3 weeks ago. Got the black, by process of elimination. LBS installed a 3rd party chain guard. Will get the road remote when it becomes available, but really only needed for rides longer than 50 miles or so. Otherwise just leave the bike set on one level or let Mission Control so the support level shifting. Loving the bike so far. Hope it will keep me going for a few more years.

Age 79. Also have a Madone. Bought a Creo Comp Carbon about 3 weeks ago. Got the black, by process of elimination. LBS installed a 3rd party chain guard. Will get the road remote when it becomes available, but really only needed for rides longer than 50 miles or so. Otherwise just leave the bike set on one level or let Mission Control so the support level shifting. Loving the bike so far. Hope it will keep me going for a few more years.
Thanks so much

JayY - Can you post a pic of the 3rd party chain guide? Or, the brand? Did the dealer attach it to rear motor mount bolt? Thanks, Bill

Congratulations on your Turbo Creo purchase. I'll admit to being a bike addict. Bought a Turbo Levo Comp New Year's Eve last year. In February went for a Turbo Creo SL Comp Carbon and finally in October, purchased a Turbo Creo Comp Carbon EVO. All these with no regrets. Sold all my non-motorized bikes except for one - a Giant Revolt gravel bike. I confess to being 72 years-old and glad to still be riding without being in oxygen debt during the climbs trying to catch up with the younger riders.

Congratulations on your Turbo Creo purchase. I'll admit to being a bike addict. Bought a Turbo Levo Comp New Year's Eve last year. In February went for a Turbo Creo SL Comp Carbon and finally in October, purchased a Turbo Creo Comp Carbon EVO. All these with no regrets. Sold all my non-motorized bikes except for one - a Giant Revolt gravel bike. I confess to being 72 years-old and glad to still be riding without being in oxygen debt during the climbs trying to catch up with the younger riders.
Your an inspiration to us all!

JayY - Can you post a pic of the 3rd party chain guide? Or, the brand? Did the dealer attach it to rear motor mount bolt? Thanks, Bill
Here's what I have now. Decidedly low tech and only keeps the chain from coming off the pedal side. I'm looking to get a chain guide that goes over the top of the chain. Specialized has something, but I'm not sure if the bike has needed mounting brackets. In the meantime, I make sure to check the clutch before each ride. The bike is new, so hopefully will be a while before I have to worry about the chain stretching.
20201120_084614.jpg

The chances of the chain slipping from the Narrow-Wide chainring on-road are so slim that the chain-guard here only protects the trouser cuffs against being caught inside the chain or being soiled. The situation with e-MTB is quite different.

The chances of the chain slipping from the Narrow-Wide chainring on-road are so slim that the chain-guard here only protects the trouser cuffs against being caught inside the chain or being soiled. The situation with e-MTB is quite different.
Actually, my biggest fear is not the chain but having a flat and trying to figure out how to get a wheel off and back on with the disc brakes. Wondering if I should switch to tubeless.

Chain drop to the inside on the Creo with the stock Praxis chainring is so highly prevalent Spesh added a stock chain guard to the 2021 models. Agree drop to outside is slim

Actually, my biggest fear is not the chain but having a flat and trying to figure out how to get a wheel off and back on with the disc brakes. Wondering if I should switch to tubeless.
Don't let the side of the road with a flat be the first time you try this. I'd suggest removing both wheels, taking the tires off and putting them back on. I suspect you'll find getting the wheels on and off will be easier than the tires.

Outstanding advice. Watch a couple YouTube videos, pour a glass of bourbon, and get to it. It’s far easier than you seem to think is, and the confidence you’ll then have is a huge deal when it’s your turn in the barrel.

Oh, and tubeless rocks! Sooner or later though, something will come up that will involve pulling a wheel, and it’s good to know that you’ve been there before. Ride on!

Chain drop to the inside on the Creo with the stock Praxis chainring is so highly prevalent Spesh added a stock chain guard to the 2021 models. Agree drop to outside is slim
Dave,
How come? I've been riding my Vado for more than a year (it is not the Creo of course) and never had a chain drop. Why should the chain drop off the Creo?

Dave,
How come? I've been riding my Vado for more than a year (it is not the Creo of course) and never had a chain drop. Why should the chain drop off the Creo?
Your question is better asked of a Specialized rep but read this thread:

You will read of several riders experiencing chain drops. Also, if you browse any of the Creo Facebook groups you will read of the same.

The prevailing thoughts are related to the Praxis Wave chainring and the wide gearing on the cassette. Many riders are swapping the chainring to a narrow/wide variant. The fact that Specialized added the chain guide on the 2021 models to prevent this is evidence enough that this is a verified issue and not speculation. See photo of chain guide below.

Another theory is the chain must be properly aligned on the chairing. There is a decal on the inside of the chainring that displays the proper alignment for the chain. Apparently many LBS’s are not even aware of this and deliver the bike to buyers with an incorrect alignment. Some riders report that simply fixing the alignment is enough to stop their chain from dropping. See photo of alignment decal below.

Lastly, there have been different reports that simply ensuring the derailleur clutch is probably engaged fixes the problem. YMMV.

69E5EA0D-74ED-42FE-A977-55B599861D3B.jpeg
5989F043-CE61-4AA8-8404-B8C4C0A6C6A9.jpeg

The prevailing thoughts are related to the Praxis Wave chainring and the wide gearing on the cassette. Many riders are swapping the chainring to a narrow/wide variant. The fact that Specialized added the chain guide on the 2021 models to prevent this is evidence enough that this is a verified issue and not speculation.
I cannot agree to that. My Vado has a 48T Praxis Wave Narrow-Wide chainring and an 11-46T cassette. No chain drop over more than a year :)
Another theory is the chain must be properly aligned on the chairing. There is a decal on the inside of the chainring that displays the proper alignment for the chain. Apparently many LBS’s are not even aware of this and deliver the bike to buyers with an incorrect alignment. Some riders report that simply fixing the alignment is enough to stop their chain from dropping.
That could be the reason. My chains have always been properly aligned.
Lastly, there have been different reports that simply ensuring the derailleur clutch is probably engaged fixes the problem.
Agreed.

Back