Rockstar owners

I just got an updated shipping estimate of another 6 week delay for a Rockstar. It sucks but it is what it is. They must have
only sent the first order when they said they were going to send second at the same time.

I just got an updated shipping estimate of another 6 week delay for a Rockstar. It sucks but it is what it is. They must have
only sent the first order when they said they were going to send second at the same time.
Lightning 123!
It will all be worth it. I am sorry for sounding critical. My buddy is wild about his. He is doing epic rides everyday and talking up his bike. Everyone has different tastes and needs. His Rockstar is ideal for him. You are going to love it.
If you want to see a funny new post search for the word Lasagna it the title of a thread posted today.
My latest creation comes in at 31.5 pounds if the saddle is swapped and the kickstand removed. Otherwise it stands at 32.2.

Attachments

• 31.5Bike01.JPG
    31.5Bike01.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 183
  • 31.5Bike02.JPG
    31.5Bike02.JPG
    227.6 KB · Views: 200
  • 31.5Bike03.JPG
    31.5Bike03.JPG
    261.3 KB · Views: 193
FYI: My order for end of June has been delayed to ETA end of July.
Anyone seen any pictures of the Rockstar in black? I saw that Ebikes USA showed it in their youtube video.

Extra Extra, after 10 months of waiting, I just got the beast...OMG...it looks awesome!! A serious machine!!
I will give you an update after a mountain ride this weekend!

Attachments

• IMG_20210408_113337_01.jpg
    IMG_20210408_113337_01.jpg
    442.5 KB · Views: 230
Not sure if this is the right place to put the following pics, but i am including them for Sondors...maybe make some small improvements on packaging.
One nick on bike, looks like they tried to touch it up. Near the suspension link, must have been pre ship. I'm sure I will do more damage to it on my first ride in them hills! I don't know what to do witht he reflectors? Tried installing the ones on the wheels...came right off :) must have done something wrong...gonna neeed a front and rear light, will sondors have some available?

Attachments

• 20210408_104559.jpg
    20210408_104559.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 234
  • 20210408_112629.jpg
    20210408_112629.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 220
  • 20210408_115339.jpg
    20210408_115339.jpg
    409.1 KB · Views: 241
  • 20210408_104718.jpg
    20210408_104718.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 224
  • 20210408_104920.jpg
    20210408_104920.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 216
  • 20210408_111021.jpg
    20210408_111021.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 219
The answer about the lights are maybe, I remember from somewhere they said that they would be available but didn't say exactly when. For now you could just get some Led's with their own power supply for about 20 bucks each which is what I'm going to do. I have a question about the front suspension fork. Does it have mounting holes in it for a bolt on
fender?

I would be slightly miffed about the condition of it upon arrival. But congratulations on getting one.
Not a big deal, it's a MTB..it's gonna get plenty of nics and scratches (hopefully no dents). What you want is a solid performer, easy to manuver around those twisty tracks... at high speeds of course :)
Was wondering if a skid plate is required. We have them on our enduro Bikes...but those are abused and abused and did I say...abused on trails you wouldn't go for walk on.
I will try to post something this week-end.

I can understand about not worrying about the condition out of the box, what I'm saying is that it should be in perfect condition when it first arrives and if someone did an unprofessional job in touching it up then I think they need to know about it because we don't want to
see bunches of people having the same or worse experience.

The answer about the lights are maybe, I remember from somewhere they said that they would be available but didn't say exactly when. For now you could just get some Led's with their own power supply for about 20 bucks each which is what I'm going to do. I have a question about the front suspension fork. Does it have mounting holes in it for a bolt on
fender?
Fork has place to insert screw in back (see pic) and rear has hole to support rear fender/mud guard.

Attachments

• 20210408_134641.jpg
    20210408_134641.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 190
  • 20210408_134650.jpg
    20210408_134650.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 193
I can understand about not worrying about the condition out of the box, what I'm saying is that it should be in perfect condition when it first arrives and if someone did an unprofessional job in touching it up then I think they need to know about it because we don't want to
see bunches of people having the same or worse experience.
I agree with you...I would have preferred not having the nic...but the 1 nic is not a big deal...this is what I meant. Hopefully it'll help them with the packaging for other customers. these things take a beating during shipping and delivery...The driver of UPS had mine in portrait/vertical position in the truck instead of landscape/horizontal (the way it should be carried during delivery).

I had this drivetrain on a bike with a Bafang HD and destroyed it in a matter of two-weeks. I doubt that the drivetrain can sustainably manage 90Nm. It is made for regular mountain bikes and not powerful eclectic bikes. I look forward to other people's experiences.
Yes, send photos. Photos validate written perspectives.
As a counterpoint, I have this drivetrain on two different electrified cargobikes. One is a Surly Big Fat Dummy and the motor is a 30a BBSHD with a 52v battery, so I am peaking at 1750+ watts. I have over 1000 miles on it without issue so far. And I not only put it through street cargo bike hell (my max load put the total system weight at about 560 lbs) I also strip the bags off and take it on singletrack, where its hilariously long wheelbase lets me climb straight up ... anything. This is a motor that is equivalent to the Ultra in terms of potential torque (160 Nm) that is actually putting out more than the RockStar thanks to its 30a setting. And the chain is over 200 links long, so if its going to break I'm the guy who will do it. The chain is two KMC e11's sectioned together.

What I don't do is ride it wrong. I know to keep the motor spinning. I don't bog it. Most of all I don't shift under power (in fact I don't have a gear sensor. I own one on one of my BBSHD bikes but I have not added it to later builds as I prefer to ride without it).

I need to get a better pic of it on a trail. The one below is just a hillside in the middle of a rainstorm.

IMG_20200827_084054_half.jpg
PXL_20201217_165316023_cropped.jpg

On my second bike with the 11 spd SRAM drivetrain (OK its a GX11 but thats just a prettier version of the same system), its a 2wd Bullitt that is a pure street machine, so smoother duty but also 30a and 52v. I had such great experience with the 11 spd SRAM on the Surly I put it on this second bike and its smooth as ice.

There is definitely a learning curve for mid drives, and its for real.

I was thinking about this exact point with regard to my coming mid drive Rockstar today. I am a little concerned I have a steep learning curve to go through.

My wife and I went out for a ride in a picturesque hilly residential area and as a result of comments and info on this forum I was noticing how lame I am at planning and being in the appropriate gear. With my new (2nd ride out) Sondors MXS hub drive I just hit the thumb throttle.

Probably exceptionally good I'm a ways back in the line for a Rockstar and can gain some skill.

Probably exceptionally good I'm a ways back in the line for a Rockstar and can gain some skill.
Its not difficult. Really. Ordinary bicycle riders do it naturally as if they don't shift to a lower gear before they get to the hill, they bog down and fall over. Or pop a blood vessel :D . If you remember how to ride a bike (as in bicycle with no 'e' in front) you are pretty close to remembering how to ride a mid drive. Just keep the motor spinning and don't shift under power. thats what... 80% of the deal right there?

Ohhhh, well that brings up a clarifying point then.....I don't WANT to shift that much. I like just triggering the throttle. :)

Back