Road Tires for EXPLORE E+ 1 GTS?

Here is a pic of my sister in law on her first day with her new Giant Liv Amiti E+1, the womans version of the Explore . This model is only available in Canada I understand. It has the 500 watt battery and the sports motor as well as integrated lights , plus rack and fenders. We rode 50 very hilly kms and she used only 2 of 5 dots or bars. Most of the ride was on the power setting 3 of 5 so think she can easily get 80-100 km on a charge . This seems like a lot of bike for the money. I insisted to her that she get the Tannus inserts if she is keeping the Crosscut tires and I threatened to abandon her at the roadside if she gets a flat without them.
1570750470120.png

Got a little more on tubeless from the mechanic at the local bike shop. Apparently quite common for fancier hybrids and ebikes, in addition to MTBs. Apparently very few flats but he did recommend some type of orange sealant (rather then Stan's). If you flat, he said you can now get plugs, similar to what you might use on a car tire. I think I will give it a try in the spring but for now, to ride in the dark I want to keep it simple.

After a bit more digging, I decided to go with the MARATHON MONDIAL HS 428 in 700 X 40. Tiny bit narrower that the stock tires but they look really sweet. Should arrive in a week or two, so I'll post pictures when I get them.

Thanks, Todd

After a bit more digging, I decided to go with the MARATHON MONDIAL HS 428 in 700 X 40. Tiny bit narrower that the stock tires but they look really sweet. Should arrive in a week or two, so I'll post pictures when I get them.

Thanks, Todd
I had those on a previous ebike (different size than yours) and found them to be a huge improvement over the stock tires, particularly in wet weather.

Hi t_h_k, my Explore E+3 also has the Giant Crosscut Gravel 2's. I thought they would wear out real quick because I'm on the road most of the time, but they are holding up much better than expected.

I got some Schwalbe Marathon Plus at a great price several months ago, but just haven't gotten around to putting them on. The Schwalbe are 1100g vs the Crosscut 700g, so a little less than a pound each tire. The Schwalbe might have less rolling resistance, but I just don't know how that extra weight is going to feel. I really like how the bike rides with the engine turned off (on flats and downhill that is), so I'll ride the Crosscuts for a little while longer.
Well that's what I get for saying how well the Crosscuts have been holding up... got my first flat today, darn thorn. I heard a clicking noise and could see the thorn stuck in my front tire. When I pulled it out I heard that dreadful whoosh sound of air coming out. Because I was already half way home and I turned up the PAS all the way and figured I would ride the bike as far as I could and then push it the rest of the way. Luckily it was an incredibly small hole so by the time I got home the tire still had around 30psi.

I guess the good news is that it finally gave me incentive to install the Marathon Plus. I've heard they are difficult to install but they weren't bad at all (except that I installed the first tire with the tread rotating the wrong way and had to take it off and reinstall it)

The Marathon Plus 700x45 are a lot narrower than the Crosscuts and have a lot less volume. I took the bike out for a spin and could tell the difference in ride (significantly rougher), but the bike did seem to roll a little better. The tires are also a lot quieter than the Crosscuts, and I actually noticed more noise from the motor than I ever have before.

The Schwalbe Marathon Mondials finally arrived. I got the 700 X 40 size, which worked out well. I put them on last night after a minor struggle or two and I wanted to post some photos. Only one short ride so far but the ride quality seems great. A lot smoother on-road that the Crosscuts. Here are some photos. I also really like the reflective sidewall. Replaced the tubes with new Schwalbe tubes at the same time.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2ffb.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2ff5.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2ff4.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2ffd.jpg

bTXzNbjhQzGXnbIY4RUb0w_thumb_2ff6.jpg

The Schwalbe Marathon Mondials finally arrived. I got the 700 X 40 size, which worked out well. I put them on last night after a minor struggle or two and I wanted to post some photos. Only one short ride so far but the ride quality seems great. A lot smoother on-road that the Crosscuts. Here are some photos. I also really like the reflective sidewall. Replaced the tubes with new Schwalbe tubes at the same time.

View attachment 40766

View attachment 40768

View attachment 40767

View attachment 40769

View attachment 40770
What size/brand of tube are you using. I just ordered my EX 4 and wanted to get a backup tube with the delivered tires until I see how they last and hold up. I can't seem to find how long the valve stem needs to be. Appreciate any input. Thanks

The original tires used Kenda tubes. I used Schwalbe tubes for the new set and I have a slow leak in one for no apparent reason. Any name brand should be fine -- just make sure they are for the right width of tire. For example, mine fit 28-47 mm (e.g., touring tires). Cheers

The original tires used Kenda tubes. I used Schwalbe tubes for the new set and I have a slow leak in one for no apparent reason. Any name brand should be fine -- just make sure they are for the right width of tire. For example, mine fit 28-47 mm (e.g., touring tires). Cheers
Is there a specific valve stem length needed for the E 4 rims? I saw some video that indicated that I might need a longer valve stem due to the rim design. Thanks for the input.

My tubes had a long stem. They's not aero wheels but they do need a little longer valve stem. I think I used 60 mm.

Standard length presta - 48mm - work fine.

I have a set of 47-622 marathons, new take-offs, in classifieds. Cheap. If anybody needs some road tires.

The Mondial Marathons look to be a great choice for the road & trails/pathways. I like the look of the tread pattern.

Here's a link to an interesting article reviewing this tire. I didn't realize there was that big of a difference between the rigid and folding versions.

FWIW, I got a crazy number of flats on the original Crosscut Gravel tires during the first couple weeks I had the bike. Maybe I was just unlucky. So I switched them out for the Marathon Plus 40-622 size and paired them with some Michelin tubes that were pre-slimed.

I’ve been quite happy with the Marathon Plus tires. Nearly all of my riding is on road and they are much quieter and roll easier than the originals.
How many flats? I've had my 2021 Roam E+ for a little over a month, I lost the count - 6 flats? I'm on my third tube now, the punctures occurred on the rear only, all 6 times. The tire provides decent grip on most type of surfaces but it's definitely not puncture resistant!
I'm ready to try anything now, the Marathon Plus sounds interesting. Can you tell the difference in weight though? I guess extra protection does not come free.

Back