Rize vs Ride1up 700 vs Raleigh Misceo IE or Retroglide vs Surface604 Colt, Help Choosing

Serialnerd

Hello,

New member and after reading the forms and much research I have narrowed my choices to the five ebikes listed below and kindly ask for some assistance from the more experienced members on their opinion on what to purchase. Each bike will fit my size and has features I'm looking for, fenders, rack, etc and I plan on using it for daily commuting to work and some riding on the weekend.

I'm leaning towards the Rize or Ride1up 700 but not dead set on any one bike yet.

If there is another Brand/model I should look at please let me know. Thank you everyone for all of your help!

All information listed is on the bikes site or what I could find on the web.

CompanyRizeRide1UpRaleighRaleighSurface604
Model Rize700MISCEO IERETROGLIDE ROYALE 2.0 IEColt
Motor TypeHubHubHubMidHub
Motor Brand/PowerBafang 500 Watt, 65 N.mShengyi 500wSR Suntour E25 250w, 60NmBosch Active Line+, 250w, 50NmBafang 500w, 50Nm
Battery48V,17Ah, 816Wh48V, 14ah, 672w36v, 11.3ah, 410Wh36v, 13.4ah, 500 Wh48v, 10.4ah, 500wh
SensorTorqueCadenceTorque, Cadence, SpeedTorqueTorque
Price$1699$1495$1300$1800$2000
Web LinkRize700MISCEO IERETROGLIDE ROYALE 2.0 IEColt

If you could share the following, it will help others to give you helpful advice:

1. riding preference (sporty, relaxed, etc)
  2. age
  3. daily commute distance or annual mileage in approx numbers
  4. terrain conditions
  5. budget
  6. How handy are you with mechanical stuff

Hello,

New member and after reading the forms and much research I have narrowed my choices to the five ebikes listed below and kindly ask for some assistance from the more experienced members on their opinion on what to purchase. Each bike will fit my size and has features I'm looking for, fenders, rack, etc and I plan on using it for daily commuting to work and some riding on the weekend.

I'm leaning towards the Rize or Ride1up 700 but not dead set on any one bike yet.
If there is another Brand/model I should look at please let me know. Thank you everyone for all of your help!
All information listed is on the bikes site or what I could find on the web.

CompanyRizeRide1UpRaleighRaleighSurface604
Model Rize700MISCEO IERETROGLIDE ROYALE 2.0 IEColt
Motor TypeHubHubHubMidHub
Motor Brand/PowerBafang 500 Watt, 65 N.mShengyi 500wSR Suntour E25 250w, 60NmBosch Active Line+, 250w, 50NmBafang 500w, 50Nm
Battery48V,17Ah, 816Wh48V, 14ah, 672w36v, 11.3ah, 410Wh36v, 13.4ah, 500 Wh48v, 10.4ah, 500wh
SensorTorqueCadenceTorque, Cadence, SpeedTorqueTorque
Price$1699$1495$1300$1800$2000
Web LinkRize700MISCEO IERETROGLIDE ROYALE 2.0 IEColt

If I were selecting a bike only from your list I would recommend the Raleigh Misceo iE with the torque, cadence and speed sensors.
Are you open to other suggestions? It would be helpful if you can answer the type of use-case questions listed above by Ravi. ;)

If you could share the following, it will help others to give you helpful advice:

1. riding preference (sporty, relaxed, etc)
  2. age
  3. daily commute distance or annual mileage in approx numbers
  4. terrain conditions
  5. budget
  6. How handy are you with mechanical stuff

1. Relaxed preferred but not mandatory.
2. Mid 50's
3. 10 miles total, 5 each way. Probably dubble that on the weekends.
4. Road
5. Around $2,000
6. I can fix thing, does not mean I like to :)

If I were selecting a bike only from your list I would recommend the Raleigh Misceo iE with the torque, cadence and speed sensors.
Are you open to other suggestions? It would be helpful if you can answer the type of use-case questions listed above by Ravi. ;)

Thank you for the reply! I'm open to any suggestions you have in mind. I have answered the questions list above.

Bil H.

1. Relaxed preferred but not mandatory.
2. Mid 50's
3. 10 miles total, 5 each way. Probably dubble that on the weekends.
4. Road
5. Around $2,000
6. I can fix thing, does not mean I like to :)

Considering all this and given that you are in Oregon.
I would recommend the following. A friend of mine is the North American distributor of Gepida E-bikes and his warehouse is in Gresham.
You could perhaps go visit him, test ride it and pick up the bike. I can connect you to him and I am sure he would do something to offer you one of the bikes within your budget.

Alboin 1000: https://www.nwebikes.com/product-page/mountain-ebike

Fastida: https://www.nwebikes.com/product-page/speed-ebike

If that is not feasible,
My recommendation list goes like this ..

1. Haibike Trekking with Yamaha PW-SE motor with superb reliability and components. It's available in multiple sizes.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

2. Raleigh RetroGlide with Bosch drive you listed above.

3. Any of the Rize or Ride1up. While they offer more in paper, in actuality it's not as impressive. You will quickly notice the shortcomings when you start doing 3500+ miles/year.

Considering all this and given that you are in Oregon.
I would recommend the following. A friend of mine is the North American distributor of Gepida E-bikes and his warehouse is in Gresham.
You could perhaps go visit him, test ride it and pick up the bike. I can connect you to him and I am sure he would do something to offer you one of the bikes within your budget.

Alboin 1000: https://www.nwebikes.com/product-page/mountain-ebike

Fastida: https://www.nwebikes.com/product-page/speed-ebike

If that is not feasible,
My recommendation list goes like this ..

1. Haibike Trekking with Yamaha PW-SE motor with superb reliability and components. It's available in multiple sizes.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

2. Raleigh RetroGlide with Bosch drive you listed above.

3. Any of the Rize or Ride1up. While they offer more in paper, in actuality it's not as impressive. You will quickly notice the shortcomings when you start doing 3500+ miles/year.

Hi Ravi,

Yes, I would be interested in meeting your friend in Gresham, that is about an hour from where I live and a easy drive. I have watched reviews of the Fastida, that I would be interested in if I could get one close to my price range and the Haibike Trekking. I could not find any reviews of the Alboin 1000.
Do you know if the Haibike Trekking 2.0 has shift sensing? The review I saw was of an early year and did not have that ability.

Thank you again for all of your help!

Bill H.

.... Ride1up. While they offer more in paper, in actuality it's not as impressive. You will quickly notice the shortcomings when you start doing 3500+ miles/year.

Hey Ravi - Can you elaborate on the shortcomings of Ride1up 700? I was looking at that one. Thanks for any help.

Yes, I would be interested in meeting your friend in Gresham, that is about an hour from where I live and a easy drive.

Sure. Send me a message (with your contact details) via forum message option.

the shortcomings of Ride1up 700?

For the money, I think it is a good value.
The Cadence sensor is not something I would enjoy ever.

For $500 more, you could get the Haibike I listed and it has perhaps one of the smoothest torque sensing system, better frame, better components and double the warranty.
Shengyi motor is one of the more inexpensive options. Bafang would have been better.
For the first year, even a $800 ebike would hold up and it is after that first 12-16 months, things start showing wear and tear.

If you would like to take a chance, go for it.

Do be very careful with that Gepida Fastida. Speed pedelecs can be very addicting. To me they are kind of like e-bike crack! ;)

We recently purchased Gepida's tandem bike, the Thoris. The bike is spec'd and designed very well, and rides great. Gepida is not well known in the U.S., but has a very good reputation in Europe. That Fastida has caught my eye in the past, but I just haven't been able to pull the trigger on it. Overlaps too much with some of my other e-bikes.

I caught that the Raleigh Misceo iE had dropped in price by $500 last weekend. This seems to be a lot of bike for the money at the $1,299 price.

Do be very careful with that Gepida Fastida. Speed pedelecs can be very addicting. To me they are kind of like e-bike crack! ;)

We recently purchased Gepida's tandem bike, the Thoris. The bike is spec'd and designed very well, and rides great. Gepida is not well known in the U.S., but has a very good reputation in Europe. That Fastida has caught my eye in the past, but I just haven't been able to pull the trigger on it. Overlaps too much with some of my other e-bikes.

I caught that the Raleigh Misceo iE had dropped in price by $500 last weekend. This seems to be a lot of bike for the money at the $1,299 price.

Hi THM,

What do you think of the Raleigh Misceo iE ?

Bill H.

Hi THM,

What do you think of the Raleigh Misceo iE ?

Bill H.
To me it appears that the Misceo iE is a competent and capable bike for what is now (with the new sale price) an excellent value. My experience with Raleigh e-bikes has been excellent, so I like the company too, and it is one which should very well be around in case you need any assistance/service/warranty work. They have dealer support too, if you are fortunate enough to have a dealer close to where you live.

The Misceo just seems to tick so many of the right boxes: torque sensing pedal assist is more natural than cadence only, 700c wheels/tires are very efficient on the street and a 45c width will be relatively easy on the body (will absorb some road roughness), weight is reasonable for a bike with a spring front fork, I have heard good things about the Suntour HESC power system (although I have not personally tried one, and wish the battery was at least 500 wh), comes equipped with fenders/rack/lights (which you can choose to upgrade later (especially the lights) if they don't work out for you), hydraulic disk brakes, step up from the bottom groupset, etc.

Some information I saw said that the Suntour system originally did not give top speeds in all pedal assist modes, but a firmware upgrade fixed that.

I may not have looked twice at this bike at an $1,800 selling price, but at $1,300 it seems rather compelling - it is now competing against a whole different group of bikes which don't have so many of their boxes ticked.

The Gepida Fastida is a fantastic bike, highly recommended, with very high quality components. My husband has one and loves it.

Because 250W hub is the weakest drive possible. Oregon is quite hilly as I recall.

Ahh I see what you mean. Salem is mostly flat but Portland does have a good amount of hills. Really depends on where you are at but very good point!

Bill H.

For anyone interested I went with a Gepida Fastida!

Thank you everyone for your advice, especially Ravi!

IMG_20200502_160313.jpg

Back