Rize RX Pro - After a couple of weeks

GWS

I don't think I would have purchased this bike or a Rize product having the experiences to date. After assembly with complications (axle nuts not wanting to come off from shipping block on the front wheel axle), I have taken the bike out several times and placed about 100 kms. on the bike. Weak chassis - you can feel the bike flex with the Bafang mid-drive motor under acceleration. Had to adjust the rear derailleur (was skipping gears), brakes and headset - definitely not "out of the box" ready. Owners manual does not reflect the "Pro" it is for the RX and has many inconsistencies - doesn't anybody proof read anymore?? Their initial website claimed 3, 5 or 9 PAS settings. I called them as their manual did not show how to select different PAS ranges. They had no response or comment. Shortly after, they changed their website to 5.

I already have an error code "21". Rize bikes in BC has the worst customer service imaginable. They do not respond to email! If you call, you might get a call back. I'm still waiting three weeks for an explanation of the error code or how to clear the code - this is after two emails and a phone call to them. Warranty - good luck, give them your money and hope for the best. I might alter my opinion after a few more kilometers, but really, for $3,200.00, this is not meeting any kind of typical reputable eCommerce or modern business acumen. This is my second ebike. My first was from RTG (Ride the Glide - Victoria). Night and day difference in customer service. RTG was excellent and would recommend, Rize on the other had - I would not recommend.

Agree on all points. This was my first and last Rize purchase. I wondered about the pas assist ‘3-5-9’ myself. Does nothing different between eco mode and sport mode. Not explained in the manual either. What happened to your RTG bike?

I still have it! 500 XT rear hub drive folding bike. Its interesting to go back and forth from hub drive to mid-drive. The XT is only 500 watts so its not a direct "power" comparison, it's more about the differences in rider experience, plus both bikes are different designs as well. The hub is quiet compared to the Rize mid-drive which is really noisy. Both have advantages and disadvantages. I'm glad I have both types, just not happy so far with the "Pro".

I still have it! 500 XT rear hub drive folding bike. Its interesting to go back and forth from hub drive to mid-drive. The XT is only 500 watts so its not a direct "power" comparison, it's more about the differences in rider experience, plus both bikes are different designs as well. The hub is quiet compared to the Rize mid-drive which is really noisy. Both have advantages and disadvantages. I'm glad I have both types, just not happy so far with the "Pro".

hmmm. My rx is very quiet. but our leisure rear hub 500 watt, you can really hear it when it starts up , but then it gets quieter. You should make a video of the noise.

The PAS levels come shipped with 5 levels. However, you can change them on the display to be 9 levels of assistance - Note: not a WIDER range of levels, just smaller differences between levels. Many bafang equipped bikes can do this. If you've watched any videos about these bikes, it's explained frequently. I'm surprised they could not tell you that over the phone or via email.

The PAS levels come shipped with 5 levels. However, you can change them on the display to be 9 levels of assistance - Note: not a WIDER range of levels, just smaller differences between levels. Many bafang equipped bikes can do this. If you've watched any videos about these bikes, it's explained frequently. I'm surprised they could not tell you that over the phone or via email.

No. The pas is max 5, no difference between eco and sport. You cannot change this in the display.

I can't argue with you on the subject, as my bike has not arrived, but I've seen several brands show demos of going into the display sub menus and increasing the levels to 9. What is the darn point anyway, as it does not increase power, it just makes the difference from level to level smaller.

Watch this and try it on your bike:

I can't argue with you on the subject, as my bike has not arrived, but I've seen several brands show demos of going into the display sub menus and increasing the levels to 9. What is the darn point anyway, as it does not increase power, it just makes the difference from level to level smaller.

Watch this and try it on your bike:

We are talking rx. It may be adjustable on other brands but not the rize rx. Op mentioned that the company changed their claim of 3-5-9 assist to 5 after he asked about it.

With the Ultra the stock display has Eco/Sport which essentially replaces the 10 PAS display with 5 Eco and 5 Sport. I believe this was done to provide 2 sets of torque sensing. If you get a cable to program the motor, only Sport will be affected. I believe you can get the BBSxx version of the color display (or one of the alternate bafang displays) which will work on the Ultra and give you 10 PAS but you will lose the Eco option. Similarly if you get an eggrider you will have 10 PAS with no Eco option. Honestly it's not a big deal. The 5 PAS are fine, you don't need more granularity. And I find Eco more preferable. YMMV.

Yeah, it's pointless what some other bike with a different controller and LCD unit can do when we're discussing Rize bikes. My concern would be whether the lowest level assist was low enough to suit me as I prefer very little assist in the lowest assist level so that I can put in more of my own muscle power at a given speed to get more exercise. I like that the current R1U bikes to be shipped include the capability to adjust down the power percentage at individual assist levels. Too bad Rize and most other e-bikes don't allow that level of customization.

To clarify, it's not a Rize specific limitation. It's a Bafang Ultra motor AND Bafang Ultra DPC-18 display specific limitation. Any of the other Rize bikes with Bafang motors with the non-ultra DPC-18 version of display will have 10 levels of PAS. You can get a different Bafang display if you want 10 PAS and don't care about Eco vs. Sport. You can tune the PAS to your liking with inexpensive programming cable assuming these are the Bafang Ultra motors with UART protocol. Bafang is reportedly moving to CANBUS protocol for the Ultra which will not be programmable by the user, but I don't think anyone is selling bikes with those motors yet.

Back