Rize refuses to replace or pay for faulty brake pads on leisure and rx pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spatzi

Just talked to Mark at rize. He saw my video of the noisy brake pads. I was waiting on a $100 refund for expenses on replacing their faulty pads. After first telling me the sound was not normal, they backtracked and said it was normal. Lol! I said “wait...you watched the YouTube video and you tell me this is normal? The bike shop tells me this is not normal.“

They refuse to replace or pay for the faulty tektro pads on my leisure or rx pro. He tells me pads are not covered under warranty. There is a thread about this noise on Facebook rize owners group where other people are reporting the same noise. Someone even said tektro released a bad batch of ‘too soft‘ pads this year and other brand bikes that have them are reporting issues as well.

It’s absolutely ridiculous that rize doesn’t own up and replace them. When I mentioned that tektro put out a bad batch he says he knows about it, but still won’t replace them. If the noise was “normal”, my new brake pads would be making the same noise. I already spent 2 days in bike shops dealing with this. Not only will they not pay the expenses, they can‘t even send me a pair of free pads! I asked him “what does that cost you? $10? Is all the bad publicity you are going to get online worth it to you?“ Mark just kept telling me to try and break the pads in, and that it will get better. Sure, after 90 km, the noise will magically disappear. Then he even had the gall to say “Look, now you at least have a back up pair.” like I would put their defective tektro brake pads back on the bike at some point.

I told him I can’t even put the brakes on for fear of scaring wildlife and anyone within 20 foot range. He tells me “as long as they work, it‘s fine.“ like this excuses the fact they are defective. And they don‘t work ‘fine’. The bike actually vibrates badly and won’t come to a solid stop even with both brakes applied. Plus, the brakes now also have a very high pitched squeal on top of the flushing noise. Bonus! It just gets better every day!

Refusing the replacement is one thing, but insisting to me that this massive noise is normal is really insulting. I even told him I was selling the leisure bike and to make it sellable I had to buy new pads for $100 because it was unsellable as is. Even that didn‘t faze him. I mention 6 trips to bike stores, $130 in expenses, time used to make videos, time used to post in forums, time on the phone, time in emails - it doesn’t mean anything to Rize. All I get is “Sorry, can’t do anything for you.”

Considering I spent over 6 grand on this company, you’d think they would help you out on such a small expense, especially when it was defective in the box. I asked to speak to the boss, or manager, but there seems to be no ‘boss’ working at rize.

So take that as a warning. Buy from rize, don’t expect any faulty brake pad replacement. If they don’t even cover this small thing in a warranty, I wonder what else they will tell me they can’t cover. I’ve lost my trust in this company. Can’t recommend them any longer. Better to get rid of the bike before anything else happens to it. Might be lucky this week and trade it for an aventon level.

Last edited:
That sucks, sorry you had to go through all that.

Some brake pads do make squawking noise, it is very annoying.

Switching pads to Shimano resin will help. When I had my Tektro pads.. yeah they were sintered (some call it "metallic pads") so inevitably it was making annoying noise when the brake was applied.

When it's making the noise without applying the brake, it just needs to be adjusted.

News flash! Improperly adjusted disk brake pads are really loud!

Further, YOU as the final inspection assembly tech, are responsible for setting the brakes properly - unless you are having a shop do the final assembly for you.

I don't know of any mfg that will warranty a consumable item like a brake pad.

News flash! Improperly adjusted disk brake pads are really loud!

Further, YOU as the final inspection assembly tech, are responsible for setting the brakes properly - unless you are having a shop do the final assembly for you.

I don't know of any mfg that will warranty a consumable item like a brake pad.

Brakes were properly aligned at bike shop. they still made noise. Read the Facebook forum threads, multiple reports of this problem from rize owners. If you sell a bike with faulty brakes pads, they should be covered for warranty.

Brakes were properly aligned at bike shop. they still made noise. Read the Facebook forum threads, multiple reports of this problem from rize owners. If you sell a bike with faulty brakes pads, they should be covered for warranty.
If brakes are properly adjusted, it shouldn't be making noise at all.. unless you're talking about brake noise while applying brakes ?

Yes, noise while applying brakes. Watch the video.
I did watch the video, I could not tell if you were applying the brake or not because I couldn't see the lever.
The video was focusing on the tire/brake area.

From what I can see, the brake needs to be broken-in (assuming it was adjusted properly)
In my experience, almost any sintered (metallic or even semi-metallic) pads will make noise. Some noise went away, some didn't.

Very much a cheese company that won't even send you some pads as a gesture, even though they were responsible for that and therefore causing you extra trouble and expense by not telling everyone of a problem and sending new pads out.

I did watch the video, I could not tell if you were applying the brake or not because I couldn't see the lever.
The video was focusing on the tire/brake area.

From what I can see, the brake needs to be broken-in (assuming it was adjusted properly)
In my experience, almost any sintered (metallic or even semi-metallic) pads will make noise. Some noise went away, some didn't.

I announce when I am applying the front and rear brakes. I replaced these deep sea diver pads with sintered Pads From jagwire. There is now ZERO noise, even after 80 km.

You did this yourself, or had the shop do it?

What I'm wondering is, if they may have taken the time to do them right this time? As in no more excuses for a noisy brake they SAY is done right......

You did this yourself, or had the shop do it?

What I'm wondering is, if they may have taken the time to do them right this time? As in no more excuses for a noisy brake they SAY is done right......

Had the shop do It. First they tried cleaning and sanding. Made no difference. Total replacement was $30 a pair plus $20 a pair install = $100. I will have to do this with my second new bike as well.

"Bedding in" new hydraulic disc pads is a practice recommended in many posts and other online sources like this Park Tool video;
. I've found it 'quiets down' noisy pads right away, in most cases. I did install a set of brand name sinthered pads that I could not get to brake quietly. Were they defective? I gave them to one of my sons who was able to use them with a different brand of rotors. YRMV.

$17 on Amazon, Tektro branded. :rolleyes:
I would have simply dropped a new set in there. [shrug]

In the US. Cost in Canada is $30-40 with a 4 week wait. And I would never buy tektro again. It‘s curious how many keep recommending the same video after I repeatedly said these brakes were defective and confirmed defective by the shop, and rize confirmed that tektro released a bad batch. Bedding made zero difference, cleaning made zero difference, sanding made zero difference. Only replacement made a difference. There is a point where you have to suck up the cost of new ones after the company says it won‘t cover defective pads.

Last edited:
We have Tektro mechanical discs on on the Roll - they work fine. The fronts were squealing, took them out and sanded them down, degreased them, helped a ton. Replaced them anyway.
Hope you get resolution.

We have Tektro mechanical discs on on the Roll - they work fine. The fronts were squealing, took them out and sanded them down, degreased them, helped a ton. Replaced them anyway.
Hope you get resolution.

I just wish I could find pads cheaper than $30 a pair, which is what the shop charges for jagwire deore.

I just wish I could find pads cheaper than $30 a pair, which is what the shop charges for jagwire deore.
I got my replacements 2 kinds of pads sets and 1set of rotors and 2 Tektro brake bleed kits from UK cheaper (on sale in the winter) than I could find in Canada. ChainReaction on sale. The hoses and the syringes in the kits were very lousy. Still, though, a lot cheaper than from Canada. Their offerings are reduced now though. https://www.chainreactioncycles.com...e-pads?ss=2426&f=2259,2216,2426&sort=pricelow

Last edited:
This forum is loaded with threads about people asking for advice on what and how to buy. In virtually all of them someone points out the difference in service between local bike shops and direct to consumer sales. Ignore this at your peril, as you have obviously found to be true.

If you buy a mass produced, Chinese bike from an online seller at bottom feeder prices, it is not reasonable to expect much by way of post sales service. You got what you paid for and nothing more, a low priced bike with lousy support.

I would suggest less time spent here complaining and more time learning about how to fix and repair your bike on your own. A good book on bike repair, a set of tools, an internet connection to watch youtube videos and, in no time, you will be capable of keeping your bike running properly without having to depend on the kindness (or integrity) of strangers.

Lol! An internet connection you say! A set of tools? Wow. Thanks for the valuable tip! This is an Ebike forum for rize bikes. Do you even own this bike? I have every right to post or complain about the bike, or ask questions - about its parts, or the service or lack of service given by rize. This is called ‘letting other Rize owners or potential buyers know the score.’ Do you think it’s a good idea to not say anything about any bike you bought? Or perhaps, just lavishly praise it, like they do on the sycophantic Facebook forum?

2) $3600 is not bottom feeder prices. Maybe you have a $10,000 bike and $3600 is dollar store?
3) It is reasonable to expect service and especially warranty coverage from any company, especially one that is 40 km from my door and has staff.
4) It doesn’t matter how much I learn from a book or video, that knowledge does not repair a defective brake pad.
5) Are you aware how little info there is out there from rize bike owners? Do a YouTube search (your own brilliant advice) and see what you come up with. This is ONE of only two places for discussion on rize bikes, and the only one free of pro rize moderator bias.
6) What is this forum for exactly? Should I just say “Hi, what’s up?“ Why are you even here? You’ve got at least 1600 posts. Aren’t your treasured books and tools and internet connections doing the job? Got to check out your posts now. They are sure to be filled with super valuable information.

I’m here to give an experience with this particular bike. I’m not relying on strangers to fix my problem. I’m doing that myself by paying for parts and dealing with bike shops. Please tell me how a book, tools, and a video replaces a controller? Another guy here has this problem. Should he shut up, not mention it, or should he get an internet connection, a few tools, and build a controller from scratch? Please stop with the patronizing. It’s worse than not posting at all.

Last edited:
Alaskan and your are both correct. My family have 5 'normal' bikes, everyone of them needed at least a few tweaks and some tuning. I purchased 2 Rize bikes, and expected the same or more problems. Ebike have a lot more stuff going on, plus electronics.
I don't think the online ebike industry is setup to provide the needed customer service. Since these bikes are high price items, customers have higher expectation of service. I can see a huge wave of problems heading their way with ebike being ridden more, plus the higher speed and stress from extra power of the motor. Tires, brakes, drive train, battery, etc, they are all going to self-destruct a lot faster. 😂 If one wants an ebike, better start learning how to fix them.
My best guess of your brake problems probably stems from factory oil on the brake disc, which needs to be cleaned off before use. Instructions need to be added to the manual to save them tons of service headaches.

At most what you can expect from any seller or manufacturer for a defective pair of brake pads is a replacement pair of pads.
But from what I can tell you didn't contact the seller or manufacturer until after you had them replaced.
I'm sorry but expecting them to pay for pads and labor after the fact is simply wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back