Riese & Muller Tinker

kennyb

Has anyone had the chance to ride one of the new Tinkers by Rises and Muller? Looks like a nice bike and I was wondering if anyone could chime in.

Thanks

Kenny B

Has anyone had the chance to ride one of the new Tinkers by Rises and Muller? Looks like a nice bike and I was wondering if anyone could chime in.

Thanks

Kenny B
Kenny - We have one in the shop that I have ridden several times. My initial thoughts are: Compact bike made to fit a variety of riders. It rides like a full size bike due to the stiff frame and wider tires and it's a lot of fun and very easy to handle making it great for urban environments.

Let me know if I can answer any questions.

So Chris, of all of the folding/small bikes you have in stock, which would you say is the best bike that one might be able to get for maybe $3500 or less. Looking for a solid bike that in theory doesn't need as much maintenance. I am a non-mechanical kind of guy. Don't know if that means a Bosch system, or one with a internally geared hub.

My favorite compact bike is the Riese & Müller Tinker, my favorite folding bike is the Tern Vektron. Most ebike manufacturers say their motor systems don't need maintenance but the Bosch system is the only system where that has really proven to be true in our experience. Most of the bikes in our shop are Bosch powered for this reason.

Regarding the internally geared hub, there are slight advantages to it, but it's not a major difference from a derailleur if cared for. Either way you'll probably want to get a tune-up about once a year if you use the bike frequently, but that can be handled by any competent bike shop. If your budget is $3500 for a folding/compact bike I would recommend the Tern Vektron. If you could stretch it a bit and you'd like some upgraded parts you should consider the Tinker. The Tinker has a suspension fork, better lights, higher performance motor, a larger battery different drivetrain options. Both bikes are great, but I want to be clear the value is in each of the bikes for the money as well.

I hope that helps.

I know a little bit about the Vektron from the Tern site, but am curious about the Tinker. What is the weight of the bike and what is the range that the battery will last (I realize some of it depends on my weight and what PAS level I have it on). The Tinker City even with the suspension seatpost is still under 4K. Have those 2017 models come in yet or not? I heard the Vektron is due in February.

Thanks,

Ken

I know a little bit about the Vektron from the Tern site, but am curious about the Tinker. What is the weight of the bike and what is the range that the battery will last (I realize some of it depends on my weight and what PAS level I have it on). The Tinker City even with the suspension seatpost is still under 4K. Have those 2017 models come in yet or not? I heard the Vektron is due in February.

Thanks,

Ken
Ken the Tinker weights quoted on the R&M site found with the frame geometry specs are;
City is 22.9kg
Touring HS is 21.9kg
Nuvinci is 23.8kg
Battery range is a contentious area
I read somewhere that if you are using the max power setting, the battery usage is approx 10Wh/km
If this is correct then a 500Wh battery would give a range of about 50km or 30 miles
As you have said there are so many variables so I would use this calculation as an estimate only
No doubt others with actual experience will chime in with their thoughts

Last edited:
... what is the range that the battery will last (I realize some of it depends on my weight and what PAS level I have it on) ...
Here is a link to Bosch's range calculator. Specify the Bosch drive system (I think the Vektron is the Active Line) and then you can play with the other variables to see how they impact your range (in KM). It should at least give you a baseline for some max and min estimates:

https://www.bosch-ebike.com/en/service/range-cockpit/?setLanguage=1

The default range displayed on the Bosch system is about 2

Thanks,

Ken
I know others addressed most of your questions. The Tinker is about 50lbs. If you look at the US site there are actually just two versions coming over, the Nuvinci and the HS Touring. Both are a little above 4K. We have the Nuvinci model in the shop and it's getting a lot of attention. The Vektron will be next month sometime. We actually had a early demo but it was stolen from our store unfortunately.

Too bead about the Vektron being stolen. When are the Tinkers
coming over" to the states? I guess I need to figure out how much I am willing to spend. I like the Vektron, but woud like to see what the Nuvinci is like to ride. Also the Tinker has the gates belt drive and some suspension. I have found as I do my search that it is almost as difficult as buying a car-too many options. Curious if you will be selling the Tern elink with the internally geared hub with 7 speeds? I know it is not sophisticated as the Tinker or Vektron, but $2000 might be a nice starting point for my first ebike. It has some of the same features as the Vektron, but only goes 15 mph and some other lower end specs-there I go again, it is like buying a car.

Chris you have been great as far as communicating with me! I appreciate you answering all of my questions and I think I only have one last one. Does the Tinker and Vektron both have quick release on the front and rear wheels.

Thanks Again

Kenny B

Kenny it's really my pleasure. We're considering the Link with the Bafang, but I'm still undecided. The reliability and service after sales on Bafang systems leaves much to be desired. The Bosch system has minimal issues to start with and if there is something that comes up we can get people back rolling very soon quickly. This is very important to us as I know it's important to our customers.

The Tinker and the Vektron have quick release in the front. Regarding the Nuvinci, it's quickly gaining popularity for its simplicity and ability to work well with a belt drive.

I'm at the barber at the moment and I have the R&M Nevo out with the Nuvinci and it's been a really pleasant ride. It's very similar to the Tinker we have. Although I think having the 28mph speed with the derailleur would be a lot of fun too! That's the setup I have on my Load demo and I really like that.

My favorite compact bike is the Riese & Müller Tinker, my favorite folding bike is the Tern Vektron. Most ebike manufacturers say their motor systems don't need maintenance but the Bosch system is the only system where that has really proven to be true in our experience. Most of the bikes in our shop are Bosch powered for this reason.

Regarding the internally geared hub, there are slight advantages to it, but it's not a major difference from a derailleur if cared for. Either way you'll probably want to get a tune-up about once a year if you use the bike frequently, but that can be handled by any competent bike shop. If your budget is $3500 for a folding/compact bike I would recommend the Tern Vektron. If you could stretch it a bit and you'd like some upgraded parts you should consider the Tinker. The Tinker has a suspension fork, better lights, higher performance motor, a larger battery different drivetrain options. Both bikes are great, but I want to be clear the value is in each of the bikes for the money as well.

I hope that helps.

Been meaning to respond to what you said about the Tinker having better lights than the Vektron-do you really think the Tinker has better lights? Tern really talks up their front light.

Kenny B

Been meaning to respond to what you said about the Tinker having better lights than the Vektron-do you really think the Tinker has better lights? Tern really talks up their front light.

Kenny B
The rear light on the Tern is really special. I was speaking more about the headlight, where I've always been a big fan of the Supernova light spec'd on the Tinker. The Tern does have good lights on it though.

I hope that helps.

Chris:

Just wanted to let you know that I am going to be in LA later this month at the same time as the Long Beach Ebike Expo! I hope to be able to ride both the Tern Vektron and the Riese and Muller Tinker. The best part about the whole deal is that it is a business trip so airfare from STL and room and board is all covered! Just sort of fell into my lap and am really stoked about it.

Kenny B

Chris:

Just wanted to let you know that I am going to be in LA later this month at the same time as the Long Beach Ebike Expo! I hope to be able to ride both the Tern Vektron and the Riese and Muller Tinker. The best part about the whole deal is that it is a business trip so airfare from STL and room and board is all covered! Just sort of fell into my lap and am really stoked about it.

Kenny B
That's really great news! I'm actually heading out that way too, but I won't be there for the expo. I'm going to visit Bosch next week for the Bosch dealer advisory board event. I look forward to hearing your thoughts about the bikes! I'm sure you'll really enjoy them as well as the weather :)

That's really great news! I'm actually heading out that way too, but I won't be there for the expo. I'm going to visit Bosch next week for the Bosch dealer advisory board event. I look forward to hearing your thoughts about the bikes! I'm sure you'll really enjoy them as well as the weather :)

Chris:

Have been in contact with Erich from Riese and Muller and he told me that they will not have a Tinker for me to drive at the Long Beach Expo. He stated that the only one(s) are at your place in NY. I desire to purchase a bike that I can fit in my Honda Civic Sedan-I don't want to spend almost $1000 for a hitch and ebike rack for my car. Wondering if the Tinker could fit in either the back seat or the trunk if I laid it down? I know it is not a folding bike, but one could break down handle bars and possibly put some folding pedals on it.

I hope my description is making sense.

Kenny B

Chris:

Have been in contact with Erich from Riese and Muller and he told me that they will not have a Tinker for me to drive at the Long Beach Expo. He stated that the only one(s) are at your place in NY. I desire to purchase a bike that I can fit in my Honda Civic Sedan-I don't want to spend almost $1000 for a hitch and ebike rack for my car. Wondering if the Tinker could fit in either the back seat or the trunk if I laid it down? I know it is not a folding bike, but one could break down handle bars and possibly put some folding pedals on it.

I hope my description is making sense.

Kenny B
I'm stuck in California due to the bad weather in NY. I'll get some measurements of the Tinker when I get back, but I'm pretty sure you'd have no issues fitting it in your civic. If you wanted to put it in the backseat you might have to remove the front wheel, but I will get more info on that this weekend hopefully.

If it helps, I recently posted a video review of the Tinker Nuvinci: http://citruscycles.ca/r-m-tinker-nuvinci-urban-ebike

It's a lot of fun to ride and you can fold the handle bars all the way back. The great thing about the Nuvinci hub and Gates belt is that you don't have to worry about a messy chain or the derailleur getting knocked around in your car.

Kelly:

I watched your video review the other evening. It was very informative! It really looks like a great bike.

Kenny B

Back