Riese & Müller Delite review

That behaviour has been present for several months, on & off.
Thank you for clearing that up, thankfully it is not just me.

Matt, you are my idol. I wish I had your courage. Sounds like you need a set of chains for your bike - ha.
A set of chains might be a good idea haha! It was quite an experience out there in the snow. Sorry for the late reply!

Way to go Matt! We got a bit more snow here in the NYC ex-burbs (two feet). Would have been fun to try out my GX on it - I image the Rock Razor tires would work well; however, the low clearance fenders would probably pack up with snow and rudely stop the proceedings. I knew you couldn't resist riding yesterday - thanks for the post!

The bike looks none the worse for wear. Guess the belt drive handled the snow/slush well.
Sorry for the late reply! I have been quite busy and did some videos for my review. I seem to not be getting emails anymore for people replying on this thread, so I assumed no one has said anything in the past couple weeks!:(

Two feet of snow is way too extreme to try and ride, and those tires would surely be better than the super moto x. The snow packing into the fenders would probably be an issue in soft and deep snow. The bike has been holding up pretty well, the snow was pretty fun :) The only issue I had was I was a bit rough with the NuVinci cables when I had to remove the rear tire to change a tube, which caused one to snap, but I got that fixed at Propel. Overall though everything has been great with the bike.

I recently upgraded security on the bike and got an Abus 12mm integrated chain and have the Extreme integrated chain and U-lock for motorcycles on the way! I also went ahead and purchased the M99 Pro.

Have you gotten your bike yet or is the one I rode at Propel the other day again the one you will be getting?

IMG_0044.JPG

Great pic! They let you take a full sized bike on the subway? Can you just walk it on with you or do they have racks for them somewhere? Sounds like you made the most of the weather. Wish I could say the same. The weather that hit us last week left me without power at home for almost seven days (a tree fell and took out our service lines). So the Charger has been resting for a couple of weeks. Hope to have it out this weekend.

By the way, have you played with the front suspension settings very much? For city riding, do you have preferred settings for the rebound, the lockout and the psi? I imagine with a full suspension bike your front fork settings might differ vs if it was a hardtail (?). Not having had adjustable suspension prior buying my Charger, I was really ignorant on how to tune the fork for certain types of riding. Its something I'm still trying to figure out. I've been riding with different settings and logging them prior to setting out. My current settings are certainly better than when I started but I still feel like I haven't found the ideal settings. I'd just be curious to hear about your experience if you have been tuning the ride.
I apologize for the late reply, I had no idea that anyone replied here again because I was never getting emails. I've been on the forums a bunch of times too which is the sad part... lol

I am able to take the full size bike on the Subway, you just walk onto the train with it and stand in the opposite doorway and keep the bike as far over as you can. I am sorry to hear about you losing power! That really sucks:( How has it been riding recently?

I have not really messed with the front suspension, I let the guys at Propel adjust it for me and left it. I actually do not really know what the rebound settings do, if you could share your knowledge and experience on that I will appreciate it:) I know what lockout does but never used it before, and also do not fully understand when it is used. If you explain your experience with it, I will also experiment with mine and do some research online about it and get back to you on that.

I hope you've been enjoying the charger still, let me know what's new now that you've been using it more again:)

Wait/delivery time for over engineered e-bikes.

I've ordered the R&M Charger GX Touring in Curry. Last word from dealer is I have to wait up to six friggin' weeks to get it. And I only live a few KMs from Darmstadt. "Just in time" manufacturing my aging *Hintern*! (That's German for rear-end.) I guess I wouldn't be so upset with having to wait so long if the engineers over engineering these bikes would at least polish my friggin' shoes while I wait... But enough about all that before I get into living (as an American) in over-engineered Germany. Actually, the joke is, I've ordered a second Charger Mixte for my wife. She's getting the one with the Nuvinci hub--which, btw, I don't like. By-the-by, I decided against the Rohloff (spelling?) on my Charger GX because 1) too expensive and 2) didn't like the feeling of all those gears churning and chewing on each other like little girls in spring-time (that's a pun on an SNL skit with a character named Dieter. Google it!). Since I'm riding more than my wife, I thought it would be OK to get her a R&M, too, and thereby I can use her battery when I'm on long, lone rides. We'll see how that works out. The dealer did tell me that I can eventually add a second battery to my Charger GX. Again. We'll see how that goes. All in all, so far, I'm pleased with my order but this review of this Delight does make me think once or thrice.

;-)

Ride safe.

-t

... I am sorry to hear about you losing power! That really sucks:( How has it been riding recently?

I have not really messed with the front suspension, I let the guys at Propel adjust it for me and left it. I actually do not really know what the rebound settings do, if you could share your knowledge and experience on that I will appreciate it:) I know what lockout does but never used it before, and also do not fully understand when it is used. If you explain your experience with it, I will also experiment with mine and do some research online about it and get back to you on that.

I hope you've been enjoying the charger still, let me know what's new now that you've been using it more again:)

Yeah the power outage kinda sucked given we were in a cold spell and had to spend about $400- $500 for hotels and food out after about 4 days of 'roughing it'. And the duration of the outage I think was partially due to a miscommunication between the utility and the tree cutting vendor they hired (downed tree took out service lines). But that is a story for another day...

I managed two commutes last week (about 70 miles total) but still only have about 350 miles on the bike. So far so good. On weekends I tend to use my human powered bikes.

As far as the suspension settings (Sag, rebound, lockout) I put a link below that it explains things much better than I could. This was all new to me. The Suntour documentation leaves a lot to be desired IMO. It would have been helpful to have had a guide specific to the fork and the bike that gave setting recommendations based on rider weight, preferred ride (stiff, plush etc) and terrain. If I could have looked up something that said "for a 170 lb guy desiring fairly stiff and efficient ride on bad pavement start with xyz" that would have been ideal. But I really just had to start playing with it. I think its working ok now and is fairly stiff but still offers some comfort. Lately I've been riding at about 90-100 psi, the rebound is towards the middle and the fork is fully open. When I get time I think I'll do some more experimenting and see if I can land on a better setting. I should also mention that I replaced the suspension seatpost that came with the bike with the BodyFloat (black/black springs).

Yeah the power outage kinda sucked given we were in a cold spell and had to spend about $400- $500 for hotels and food out after about 4 days of 'roughing it'. And the duration of the outage I think was partially due to a miscommunication between the utility and the tree cutting vendor they hired (downed tree took out service lines). But that is a story for another day...

I managed two commutes last week (about 70 miles total) but still only have about 350 miles on the bike. So far so good. On weekends I tend to use my human powered bikes.

As far as the suspension settings (Sag, rebound, lockout) I put a link below that it explains things much better than I could. This was all new to me. The Suntour documentation leaves a lot to be desired IMO. It would have been helpful to have had a guide specific to the fork and the bike that gave setting recommendations based on rider weight, preferred ride (stiff, plush etc) and terrain. If I could have looked up something that said "for a 170 lb guy desiring fairly stiff and efficient ride on bad pavement start with xyz" that would have been ideal. But I really just had to start playing with it. I think its working ok now and is fairly stiff but still offers some comfort. Lately I've been riding at about 90-100 psi, the rebound is towards the middle and the fork is fully open. When I get time I think I'll do some more experimenting and see if I can land on a better setting. I should also mention that I replaced the suspension seatpost that came with the bike with the BodyFloat (black/black springs).

Sorry to hear about all the struggles! Especially if a lot of it was caused by incompetence :/

That is cool that you still use your human powered bike. I can't even think about hopping on anything but an electric bike now that I've been spoiled, terrible I know... I don't mind pedaling hard and really getting a workout, but I just love the feeling of having a little push when you want it. I certainly need it on this bike, 72lbs with nothing on it. Add the bags, tools, supplies, water, and really heavy duty Abus locks and we are pushing 100 pounds! It is not too fun to pedal with the motor off. I have done it a few times, and even tried going up the bridge with it off but I gave up. I don't think I have ever seen a cyclist pedal up the bridge besides maybe some hardcore Lycra guys. I always ride past people walking their bikes up the steep climb.

Is there anything you don't like about your Charger? I ordered the Charger GT NuVinci HS for my girlfriend this past weekend, I know the Delite isn't much different but just wondering if you had any little negatives you wanted to mention. I have had a little trouble myself with the bike but nothing serious.

Thank you for the video that cleared things up a lot on the suspension fork. It would be nice for some clear cut guidelines, however I can understand some people's perspective that it is something personal that should be experimented with. I should probably use lockout when I ride up the bridge but other than that I think my suspension is perfectly fine. Even after going down a cement staircase the fork was still an inch from bottoming out so I think it is set pretty nicely, rebounds real quick. The fork sags maybe a half an inch if even that when I am just sitting on the bike. I think it is set fine and don't want to mess with it, so if anything I may just flip on lockout and see how it goes for those serious climbs. I have played with the pressure in the rear suspension and pumped it all the way up to like 275 psi because I carry a lot of weight in the rear and I don't want to bottom out if I suddenly get the urge to ride down some stairs or do some little jumps off of stuff lol. I tried to ride UP a staircase of 5 steps, almost busted my ass when I couldn't make it up and had to quickly dismount, but it was still fun to try lol. I wasn't going very fast, definitely was scared but wanted to try.

When I get off the bridge there is a stretch of terrible cobblestones around a decent curve. I come flying off the descent on the bridge about as fast as I can without crashing on the curve (maybe 22mph) and when I go over the cobblestones, I feel like the guy in the Body Float gif where it shows the bike shaking underneath him but he doesnt move an inch lol. I guess my suspension is set pretty well for now, I will only change it if the load on the bike changes!

You didn't like the Thudbuster? I believe that is what it comes with right? I think with the thinnest insert it should be fine for my girlfriend since she is barely 110 pounds. Was there a huge difference in comfort level when you switched?

That is cool that you still use your human powered bike. I can't even think about hopping on anything but an electric bike now that I've been spoiled, terrible I know ... Is there anything you don't like about your Charger? I ordered the Charger GT NuVinci HS for my girlfriend this past weekend, I know the Delite isn't much different but just wondering if you had any little negatives you wanted to mention. I have had a little trouble myself with the bike but nothing serious...You didn't like the Thudbuster? I believe that is what it comes with right? I think with the thinnest insert it should be fine for my girlfriend since she is barely 110 pounds. Was there a huge difference in comfort level when you switched?...

Funny comment about riding non-electric! I try to ride my human powered bikes as often as possible but each time I get on one after a commute on the ebike I find myself thinking "crap this is really hard work!". Well, I have some cool human powered bikes and I hate to see them sitting collecting dust so it motivates me to get them out. I have a Spot Brand Champa with a commuter setup (cromoly frame, belt drive, rack, fenders...) and a couple of Tern folding bikes. Anyway, they serve as good around town and grocery haulers. I can load up one of the Terns with about 3 bags of groceries. Very handy.

I really don't have complaints about the Charger, moreso just personal preferences that led to me change a couple of things. The stock pedals were too slippery when wet for the shoes I prefer to wear. So I switched the pedals ultimately for Origin8 Slimline 9s. The stock suspension seatpost isn't a Thudbuster but rather a European brand whose name escapes me. To me it looks the most like a Suntour seatpost. I found it extremely stiff after trying to adjust it a couple of times. And I've had the BodyFloat on my Spot for a while now so I was accustomed to its ride/feel etc. Another advantage of the BodyFloat is that you don't have to remove the seatpost to adjust the tension (which you have to do for the stock seatpost on the R&M). So probably my fault for not fully exploring and being patient with the stock seatpost on the Charger but I kind of had a bias to the BodyFloat.

That's about it really. Other things are even more minor such as: I wish I could turn off the lights for daytime riding. I think I saw Chris mention in the Delite review that the dealer can do this for the customer. I am mulling over inquiring about this as I think I prefer not to have the lights on for daytime riding (I can use my usb rechargeable flashers for that). Also, I was a bit frustrated initially that trunk bags for the Racktime rear rack are hard to come by in the US. I sent an email to R&M and they responded with a couple of European options. But before I could get around to buying something I became accustomed to riding with two Ortleib panniers. I also mounted a USB rechargeable taillight under my seat from Lupine lighting called the Rotlicht. And a trunk bag would block that additional light. So I am over the lack of trunk bag options and probably wouldn't buy one now even if I saw a readily available US option. Overall the bike is great. Just minor nitpicky preferences I had.

Thanks Over 50 for vid. on suspension settings. ,now I know what those plastic gray threaded rings are for that came with my front forks ( tokens ).

Funny comment about riding non-electric! I try to ride my human powered bikes as often as possible but each time I get on one after a commute on the ebike I find myself thinking "crap this is really hard work!". Well, I have some cool human powered bikes and I hate to see them sitting collecting dust so it motivates me to get them out. I have a Spot Brand Champa with a commuter setup (cromoly frame, belt drive, rack, fenders...) and a couple of Tern folding bikes. Anyway, they serve as good around town and grocery haulers. I can load up one of the Terns with about 3 bags of groceries. Very handy.

I really don't have complaints about the Charger, moreso just personal preferences that led to me change a couple of things. The stock pedals were too slippery when wet for the shoes I prefer to wear. So I switched the pedals ultimately for Origin8 Slimline 9s. The stock suspension seatpost isn't a Thudbuster but rather a European brand whose name escapes me. To me it looks the most like a Suntour seatpost. I found it extremely stiff after trying to adjust it a couple of times. And I've had the BodyFloat on my Spot for a while now so I was accustomed to its ride/feel etc. Another advantage of the BodyFloat is that you don't have to remove the seatpost to adjust the tension (which you have to do for the stock seatpost on the R&M). So probably my fault for not fully exploring and being patient with the stock seatpost on the Charger but I kind of had a bias to the BodyFloat.

That's about it really. Other things are even more minor such as: I wish I could turn off the lights for daytime riding. I think I saw Chris mention in the Delite review that the dealer can do this for the customer. I am mulling over inquiring about this as I think I prefer not to have the lights on for daytime riding (I can use my usb rechargeable flashers for that). Also, I was a bit frustrated initially that trunk bags for the Racktime rear rack are hard to come by in the US. I sent an email to R&M and they responded with a couple of European options. But before I could get around to buying something I became accustomed to riding with two Ortleib panniers. I also mounted a USB rechargeable taillight under my seat from Lupine lighting called the Rotlicht. And a trunk bag would block that additional light. So I am over the lack of trunk bag options and probably wouldn't buy one now even if I saw a readily available US option. Overall the bike is great. Just minor nitpicky preferences I had.
Over50,
If you are still looking for bags etc, Rixen & Kaul (Klickfix system) offer a range that fit the Raketime racks on R&M ebikes
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Over50,
If you are still looking for bags etc, Rixen & Kaul (Klickfix system) offer a range that fit the Raketime racks on R&M ebikes
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
Thanks E-Wheels. I looked at these awhile back. Would definitely consider getting one but don't see an easy way to order via the US. Found one of their Racktime models on Amazon US but guy wants double the normal price ($200). I don't think there are any US bike shops selling these but I'll keep looking.

Thanks E-Wheels. I looked at these awhile back. Would definitely consider getting one but don't see an easy way to order via the US. Found one of their Racktime models on Amazon US but guy wants double the normal price ($200). I don't think there are any US bike shops selling these but I'll keep looking.
Over50,
The Rixen & Kaul site makes reference to this US dealer
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists) United States: VeloFred LLC
Bloomington, Minnesota, fon+1 (612) 254-9499
email: www.velofred.com
http://www.velofred.net/

That's good that you have some really nice traditional bicycles you can still appreciate. The only alternative I have is some Trek bike that I got at least 12 years ago and never maintained well, so I have no reason to ride it lol.

Yes I never tried the pedals that came with my Delite, I switched them right away to the MagLock pedals. Hmm I am a little disappointed that the seatpost suspension didn't perform well. Perhaps there is a bodyfloat in our future for the charger. As for the lights you can certainly have them switched at a dealer so you can turn them off. I also like the Ortleib panniers, they work very well. I would never put a front rack on the bike. I also never tried any trunk bags, but the panniers just made way more sense to me.

I am glad you are enjoying it:) I look forward to trying out another one of R+M's best selling bikes. By the way, what do you do for water???

...By the way, what do you do for water???..

I have the Boomerang attached to my water bottle mounts so I carry my bottle in a pannier. Which of course means I have to stop and dig it out to take a drink. On my commute, I never intend to stop. The one day I had a 20 mph headwind I ended up having to stop twice to take a rest and a drink. I recently purchased a Dakine cyclists fanny pack that has a water bottle attachment (would mount rearward off the hip) but I haven't tried it out yet.

By the way, I spent some time today messing with the suspension fork settings today. I set 90 psi and a fast rebound (6 clicks from fastest rebound) and then messed with the lockout settings. Riding about a mile after each change in the lockout (2 from fully open, 1 from fully open and then fully open). I headed for the worst pavement in my neighborhood and to be honest I couldn't really tell much difference. I then dropped the psi to 80 and tested again. That felt a bit better but I still couldn't tell a big difference. I mainly tried to pay attention to the bike as I pedaled uphill. I didn't get much up and down movement and on the bad pavement it didn't feel too bad going off of some curbs. I guess I prefer to sacrifice a bit of comfort for efficiency in the commute so I opt for a stiffer ride. For the next commute I'm going to try it at 80 psi, the faster rebound and the lockout in the middle.

Oh and another thing I changed on the bike: I didn't like the bell so I changed it for a Spurcycle. I ordered the black polished bell but had to wait a few weeks as they are usually backordered on those. It matches the bike really well and takes up very little space. I wish someone made a horn that was small but powerful. Those that I have seen are too large.
BELL_1765_2_Black_BLK_FrontThumb_1572eaeb-a267-41f0-ba29-78d658be1beb_2048x2048.png

very cool on that ortlieb bag, love it can go on different racks
too bad i already have a bunch of topeak stuff...

I have the Boomerang attached to my water bottle mounts so I carry my bottle in a pannier. Which of course means I have to stop and dig it out to take a drink. On my commute, I never intend to stop. The one day I had a 20 mph headwind I ended up having to stop twice to take a rest and a drink. I recently purchased a Dakine cyclists fanny pack that has a water bottle attachment (would mount rearward off the hip) but I haven't tried it out yet.

By the way, I spent some time today messing with the suspension fork settings today. I set 90 psi and a fast rebound (6 clicks from fastest rebound) and then messed with the lockout settings. Riding about a mile after each change in the lockout (2 from fully open, 1 from fully open and then fully open). I headed for the worst pavement in my neighborhood and to be honest I couldn't really tell much difference. I then dropped the psi to 80 and tested again. That felt a bit better but I still couldn't tell a big difference. I mainly tried to pay attention to the bike as I pedaled uphill. I didn't get much up and down movement and on the bad pavement it didn't feel too bad going off of some curbs. I guess I prefer to sacrifice a bit of comfort for efficiency in the commute so I opt for a stiffer ride. For the next commute I'm going to try it at 80 psi, the faster rebound and the lockout in the middle.

Oh and another thing I changed on the bike: I didn't like the bell so I changed it for a Spurcycle. I ordered the black polished bell but had to wait a few weeks as they are usually backordered on those. It matches the bike really well and takes up very little space. I wish someone made a horn that was small but powerful. Those that I have seen are too large.
The Charger doesnt come with water bottle mounts if you get the dual battery. I personally didn't like the boomerang, it is so easy to defeat and a ripoff. The Sherlock is so much cheaper, but was engineered properly. In my opinion I would have a much easier time blocking the Boomerang signal or just unscrewing it than I would stealing a locked bike. I can go on, but basically I pretty much hate everything about the Boomerang lol. Try looking at the Sherlock from an Italian company, they are shipping next month. This is the way it should really be designed, with true satellite tracking like a navigation system, not some stupid text message with coordinates:p The only thing it doesn't have is an alarm, but really I would prefer the device that gives me my only chance of finding my bike to not start making noise so that people remove it. I'd prefer a stealthy gps that I can call a taxi and start following. With no bike computer, good luck going very fast on a 90+lb loaded bike.

For the suspension settings we run the opposite. I run more for comfort, I basically set it based on where the O ring lies. I never want it to bottom out even over cobblestones, but want it to be as comfortable as possible anyway. With my suspension settings and running a Supernova M99 Pro on high beam for about half the ride, I managed to get 55 miles in pure Turbo mode. It was city riding with tons of stopping and starting and a decent amount of hills, I do go over the bridge each way so that adds a couple miles of climbing. I wanted to test how much range I could really get in Turbo, and it outperformed the range estimate so that's good!

I also do not like the bell that came with the bike, it is okay. I would care more if it was ever even useful to me, cars can't hear it, and every single pedestrian I have to pass on paths is listening to music and doesnt hear me no matter how many times I hit the bell or scream! I do wish there was a good horn solution as well. That one horn that is loud is too big, I have played with the idea of cutting up one of my Fabric water bottles and attaching the mounting points to an air horn. Then I can have an air horn right up at the headset! lol I have 5 fabric bottles now so it wouldn't be too much of a sacrifice to cut up one of the smaller 16oz ones.

Sorry for the late reply! I have been quite busy and did some videos for my review. I seem to not be getting emails anymore for people replying on this thread, so I assumed no one has said anything in the past couple weeks!:(

Two feet of snow is way too extreme to try and ride, and those tires would surely be better than the super moto x. The snow packing into the fenders would probably be an issue in soft and deep snow. The bike has been holding up pretty well, the snow was pretty fun :) The only issue I had was I was a bit rough with the NuVinci cables when I had to remove the rear tire to change a tube, which caused one to snap, but I got that fixed at Propel. Overall though everything has been great with the bike.

I recently upgraded security on the bike and got an Abus 12mm integrated chain and have the Extreme integrated chain and U-lock for motorcycles on the way! I also went ahead and purchased the M99 Pro.

Have you gotten your bike yet or is the one I rode at Propel the other day again the one you will be getting?

View attachment 16055

Yes Matt, got the bike two weeks ago. Chris Nolte was kind enough to have someone personally deliver it on a Sunday. Can't say enough about Chris . . . great guy, knowledgeable, responsive, caring.

Like you, my delayed response to your last post is due to the email notifications mysteriously going missing, but no biggie - I've also been super busy, so haven't even looked at the forum since getting the Delite.

I'll give a full narrative of my first impressions in a separate posting, hopefully within the next day or so. For now, suffice it to say that it is pretty much all as advertised: exceptional quality/engineering, lots of fun. Due to inclement weather and commitments that required my truck, I didn't get to ride it more than 10 miles the first week, but have been making up for it with 140 miles over last week commuting to work + doing a lot of "dead head" miles over this past weekend.

Quick "feel good" story for now: I took it out early yesterday (Easter Sunday) for a 35 mile ride on some of my favorite local roads. On the way back & approximately 6 miles from home, I have a flat in the rear. Not a big deal, since I always carry pump, toolkit, and spare tube. Since I am still setting up the bike and haven't found a good on-frame mounting point for the pump, plus the tool kit isn't mounted on the seat yet due to my still fooling around with seat position settings, I have been keeping all that emergency repair stuff in my right pannier. So, I go to get the pump, etc., out of the pannier and . . . the pannier is missing! Since my wife isn't driving yet (recovering from neurosurgery) and I didn't want to bother friends/family on an Easter Sunday morning, I figured I'd just bite the bullet and started to push the bike the rest of the way home (glad Chris told me how to operate the push assist function - some pretty substantial hills on the route). Anyway, I go maybe one mile and a couple on a tandem stops and offers to pump up the tire. I figured "what the heck, let's see what happens" and the tire did take the air - slow leak. I jump back on the bike, go maybe 1/2 mile and it is flat again. Push another 2.5 miles and woman on another bike stops and offers her pump. This time I really crank the pressure up, thank her profusely, and ride as fast as possible to put more miles on before the tire flattened. Actually got most of the way home. I get home, hop in my truck, and retrace the entire 35 miles in hopes of finding my lost pannier + contents. Didn't see it the whole route until . . . I get one block away from my house and there it is, propped up against a hydrant. Contents untouched. Actually, the pannier is an Arkel Expedition, one of the originals custom made when they were just getting into biz and not cheap, so it would have been sorely missed. Anyway, through pure luck and a string of good Samaritans, all turned out well! The "trail angels" were definitely looking out for me.

The Delite rack is shorter (top to bottom) than the standard after market bolt-on racks I've had in the past, so even though I had done some adjustments, I guess the panniers were still not quite tight enough; also, the thicker diameter of the rack top tube negated the use of the pannier lock mechanism. Will have to figure that out since buying new panniers is not an option right now. Will also be sure to frame mount the pump and make sure the toolkit is mounted on the seat rails, not thrown in the pannier.

As mentioned, I'll post my initial impressions soon.

Last edited:

BELL_1765_2_Black_BLK_FrontThumb_1572eaeb-a267-41f0-ba29-78d658be1beb_2048x2048.png

I had a problem with my Nuvinci where somehow the gears werent working correctly so something internally became misaligned. I do not know how it happened really but it was repaired fairly easily by the shop. But basically I only had low gears and was spinning at almost 100 by the time I hit 20mph. I see you have the high speed as well, but I had to mention, I was really REALLY frustrating only being able to do 20mph, I felt like I was jogging. I am really glad I got the high speed. But really, to maintain 19-20mph in Turbo, all I had to do was pedal one or two revolutions every 100 feet. I would have been so disappointed if I got the regular 20mph version.

I had a problem with my Nuvinci where somehow the gears werent working correctly so something internally became misaligned. I do not know how it happened really but it was repaired fairly easily by the shop. But basically I only had low gears and was spinning at almost 100 by the time I hit 20mph. I see you have the high speed as well, but I had to mention, I was really REALLY frustrating only being able to do 20mph, I felt like I was jogging. I am really glad I got the high speed. But really, to maintain 19-20mph in Turbo, all I had to do was pedal one or two revolutions every 100 feet. I would have been so disappointed if I got the regular 20mph version.

Wow this is intriguing. When you say the shop fixed it was that Propel? Or did you take it somewhere else? Did they give you a full explanation? I'm very curious as to what the problem was, what caused it to occur and how it was fixed. Any more info you have would be greatly appreciated. I haven't had any trouble with my Nuvinci yet but I'm only at 500 miles. I asked my LBS if they had ever worked on them. The mechanic told me he had successfully repaired the mechanical Nuvinci without too much trouble but had an electronic/automatic Nuvinci that was a major pain in the rear. And with that he said the Fallbrook Technologies was really hard to work with. Just one mechanic's feedback.

Regarding the speed: I'm still glad I got the 28mph version but I have learned that I could have lived with the 20mph bike for commuting. My commute has so much start/stop that I rarely find myself over 20mph. The other day I hit 27mph but it was for only a very short stretch. When I do have open road, I find myself usually cruising right around 20mph in Tour mode. I find myself wondering whether the higher torque but lower speed Bosch motor would have been a better choice for my commuter bike just in terms of efficiency and battery range. The HS Charger is a blast to ride so no regrets at all so I was just referring to what the most "efficient" choice would have been. Over my last few commutes, I've averaged about 2 hours and 10 to 20 minutes for the 35-36 miles or about 15+mph. I'd say I have a few sections where I can get the speed up and cruise but for the most part it is start/stop commuting.

Wow this is intriguing. When you say the shop fixed it was that Propel? Or did you take it somewhere else? Did they give you a full explanation? I'm very curious as to what the problem was, what caused it to occur and how it was fixed. Any more info you have would be greatly appreciated. I haven't had any trouble with my Nuvinci yet but I'm only at 500 miles. I asked my LBS if they had ever worked on them. The mechanic told me he had successfully repaired the mechanical Nuvinci without too much trouble but had an electronic/automatic Nuvinci that was a major pain in the rear. And with that he said the Fallbrook Technologies was really hard to work with. Just one mechanic's feedback.

Regarding the speed: I'm still glad I got the 28mph version but I have learned that I could have lived with the 20mph bike for commuting. My commute has so much start/stop that I rarely find myself over 20mph. The other day I hit 27mph but it was for only a very short stretch. When I do have open road, I find myself usually cruising right around 20mph in Tour mode. I find myself wondering whether the higher torque but lower speed Bosch motor would have been a better choice for my commuter bike just in terms of efficiency and battery range. The HS Charger is a blast to ride so no regrets at all so I was just referring to what the most "efficient" choice would have been. Over my last few commutes, I've averaged about 2 hours and 10 to 20 minutes for the 35-36 miles or about 15+mph. I'd say I have a few sections where I can get the speed up and cruise but for the most part it is start/stop commuting.
I will certainly get some more information on what went wrong with the NuVinci. I had it fixed at Propel and spent the day in Brooklyn with family so when I picked up the bike I was very tired. I asked about what was wrong and everything but I will ask again in a way that will allow me to explain it to you. Initially I went to Firth & Wilson in Philly and he re-aligned the gear range rings of the Nuvinci which were out of alignment. For some reason, this actually made it worse and instead of spinning like a clown at 24mph i was doing it at 20mph. That guy told me the Nuvinci had to be reset internally but he didnt have time to do it. I had propel fix it so I will ask when I go there in a week or so to pick up my girlfriends bike, she got the same as you I believe. Charger GT Nuvinci HS in matte black, but she got dual battery as well. Can never have too much lithium!

It works great now at least! I am almost at 1000 miles now, but I ride the bike really really hard sometimes. Since my Nuvinci was messed up I was discouraged from working since speed helps me make more money, so I took it up and down some rough terrain and in the city at night was jumping off all of the driveway curbs like I did when I was a kid, only this time I was going 20+ mph. It was so much fun, the bike really can take a beating but I am not sure why this Nuvinci thing happened to me. I was thinking about the electronic Harmony Nuvinci one day, but Kyle at propel told me it isnt smooth and feels glitchy. My only motivation for it was the fact that my cables were frayed multiple times for seemingly no reason. The 2nd time it happened it was from over tightening the cable into the metal piece at the end.

I drive through Center City Philadelphia constantly, but I ride quickly and pedal hard/fast so I end up hitting over 20mph even if I am stopping and starting 1 block at a time. I just like the ability to travel at a speed that cars behind me really cant complain when there is only one lane or the million other situations that require riding in the car lane. Honestly, I mostly travel in the middle of the car lane because I jump red lights, only yield at stop signs, and don't want to get doored. Cars never complain, it usually only takes a couple seconds off the line to hit 15-20mph, I can be at 25+ by half a block when actually putting in real effort.

I don't think efficiency is changed much between motors, just depends more on how you ride I guess. Really I think the dual battery gives more than double the range of a single battery. I took a test ride one night in all Turbo to see how far I could go. Mind you, I was riding in all Turbo, with about a 225lb load on the bike between me and all my tools, water, supplies, and my 10lb Abus chain. I went 52 miles before the range said 1 mile left, I didnt run it to dead but stopped when the range said 1 mile. Also, I have the Supernova M99 Pro, and used it on high beam for most of the ride but pointed down because my tail light only turns on right now if I turn the high beam on the light. Remedying that with the M99 tail light. Anyway, with all that weight, electronic usage (including phone charging), and I frequently travel 25+, and also this was all in busy city stop/start riding, I amazingly went over 50 miles!

With regards to your speed, it sounds like you go faster than you think! At 2 hours and 20 minutes for 36 miles, thats an average of about 15mph if you never stop and just do 15 the entire time. With all the stopping and starting you are doing you must be going faster :)

I ordered a Nyon a while back and it took 4 weeks for German Customs to just cancel it and send it back. I tried again using Ebay this time for an extra $100 compared to the bike-discount.de price, and in just 4 days since shipment its already just a couple towns away! The guy shipped it the day after I ordered, and it went through the exact same German facility. With the Nyon I will have a ton more stats to help decipher where the wattage really goes! After I get that, my final 'upgrade' will be the Sherlock bike tracker when it ships in a few weeks. I am very excited to have the Nyon though, I feel like for a $7000 bike, it should have more than the Intuvia. The Intuvia is great, but minimalist. The Nyon is feature rich, but most likely still has some glitches. I just feel like it really completed the whole feel of having spent car money on a bike if the bike has a serious headlight, and a serious smart computer with GPS. Other than that everything has been great on the bike, the only thing I ever get jealous of is the suspension setup and fenders on the Moustache Starckbike, even though the bike as a whole is something I'd never choose.

P.S. The day after I did that 52 miles all turbo test, I had charged the bike fully and it showed a crazy 154 mile range in Eco.

Oh I forgot one thing to mention but then I remembered you have only 1 battery. Charging on the bike is weird, no matter how much I charge it, my Range in Turbo will only go up to like 38-40. When I charge the batteries separately off the bike using 2 chargers, it will then show me a 5-54 mile range estimate. However, when I begin a ride 'fully' charged but only showing 38 miles of range, I can go 20 miles and the range will still say 30. Really weird, can't figure out why! At first I thought the batteries were only charging to 80% on the bike, but now I'm see the range is just inaccurate, can't imagine why....

Back