Riding with non-e-bikes

When I'm out riding most cyclists I run into seem to be genuinely interested in what riding an e-bike is like. If I had to make one suggestion, it would be that if you take your e-bike on an organized ride be prepared to be asked and answer a lot of questions.

Last edited:
That has been my experience as well. I have even offered to let a couple of people who asked about my ebike to take it out for a spin. I have the quick release for adjusting the seat height, so that isn't a big problem. So far no one has taken me up on the offer.

Our local bike co-op has s slow cruise on the first Friday night each month. I’ve always been well received. Never a negative comment

Last edited:
Has anyone gone on LBS group rides? I was wondering how you are received being on an e-bike.

Yes, last year I joined a cycling group using my new Specialized Turbo Vado 6.0 speed pedelec. It was a great learning experience, to say the least.

The bike was new and I had a tendency to ride in turbo mode all the time just because it was so darn fun. As I result, I was passing up the hot shots of the group, especially on hills. Although they were respectful and kind, it was clear some of them did not like an older female passing them up on hills.
They had something interesting comments after the ride. One rider told me by law the maximum speed allowed on an ebike was 10 mph (wrong, it’s 20 in my state). Another rider wanted to try the bike. I was not comfortable having another rider on it, mostly because I didn’t want to hear snarky remarks. Most of them had never seen a modern ebike and were simply curious.

What I learned:
- If I’m new to the group, stay in the middle of the group, preferably in the back, even if it means cycling in the off mode. At least until they get to know me, and more importantly, an ebike.
- Determine who the hot shots and leaders are, and let them “win”.
- In the event of any rare snarkiness or ebike shaming, ignore it or simply provide info on ebikes.

Obviously, your situation may be different. Please post how the experience goes for you.

When I do LBS rides with acoustic bikes, I let the hotshots lead until we get to the first big hill.. At that point I zoom past them pointing and laughing at their expensive rides while yelling "I'm faster than YOU!"

When I do LBS rides with acoustic bikes, I let the hotshots lead until we get to the first big hill.. At that point I zoom past them pointing and laughing at their expensive rides while yelling "I'm faster than YOU!"

I hope you were joking. Hard to tell.

I have doing two to three weekly rides with local roadies every week. Good advice to stay in the middle of the pack till you figure things out. I have taken time to learn how to take the lead when we encounter headwinds and let others draft behind me. This really help folks on acoustic bikes share in the advantage of an ebike. In the larger groups I end up riding with the hotshots and quite frequently will pull a few of them on long 25mph sprints using my class 3 ebike. Learning how to share the ebike edge with fellow riders makes for ready acceptance. Even the most hard core are now curious about the technology. Some readily and others more reluctantly acknowledge that, in all likelihood, they too will eventually end up riding an ebike instead of not riding at all.

Nice thread here! I have been riding in the Midwest for over 3 years with mine and I get anything from funny smirks to an interesting or curious greeting related to E-bike tech. Just recently, there were 3 of us (on the side of the trail) with one guy on an E-bike made from a kit with a DD rear hub motor @ 1000Wts . This attracted others passing by on acoustic bikes into the conversation. Most of them opted to go with a kit due to the cost savings. Most were not willing to pay the extra $$$ to invest in a fully built E-bike even though I pointed out that you can buy them on sale at a considerable savings. Most riders are curious than they are on the attack. When I have been shouted at, I just keep riding and leave them in the dust and don't look back. :oops:

Yes, last year I joined a cycling group using my new Specialized Turbo Vado 6.0 speed pedelec. It was a great learning experience, to say the least.

The bike was new and I had a tendency to ride in turbo mode all the time just because it was so darn fun. As I result, I was passing up the hot shots of the group, especially on hills. Although they were respectful and kind, it was clear some of them did not like an older female passing them up on hills.
They had something interesting comments after the ride. One rider told me by law the maximum speed allowed on an ebike was 10 mph (wrong, it’s 20 in my state). Another rider wanted to try the bike. I was not comfortable having another rider on it, mostly because I didn’t want to hear snarky remarks. Most of them had never seen a modern ebike and were simply curious.

What I learned:
- If I’m new to the group, stay in the middle of the group, preferably in the back, even if it means cycling in the off mode. At least until they get to know me, and more importantly, an ebike.
- Determine who the hot shots and leaders are, and let them “win”.
- In the event of any rare snarkiness or ebike shaming, ignore it or simply provide info on ebikes.

Obviously, your situation may be different. Please post how the experience goes for you.
Uhh. Let them “win”. I love it.
I haven’t done any group riding yet- thinking about it. But I live near the San Gabriel foothills and I’m starting to explore. Love the WTF look I get when they see a hefty lady old enough to be collecting SS climbing “their” hills.
I’ve gotten some strange looks, but the only comments I’ve gotten have been “Cool bike, Where did you get that?”

That has been my experience as well. I have even offered to let a couple of people who asked about my ebike to take it out for a spin. I have the quick release for adjusting the seat height, so that isn't a big problem. So far no one has taken me up on the offer.

Same thing here. I talked with a fellow on the trail for a half hour last week. He was around 60 or so and genuinely interested in the ebike concept.

Back