Riding the new ST2 s

bluecat

I agree, the parkour around the EUROBIKE was small, but I’ve some experience on the ST2, so I believe, it’s enough for a short statement.

The most important thing is the electronic gear shifting system from Shimano. There is only one 52T chain ring, but the 11 gear cassette spreads the gears form 11T up to 40T, this is broader than before. The ST2 s has sufficient torque and power to deal with this. Shifting gears is very easy, the display always shows the current setting, you hear a beep and the shifting-motor. At the upper and lower end, you hear a different beep. With this, the only important function of this tiny device is to show the reaming charge of the shifting systems battery.

As expected, the Di2 works very fast an exact. It’s also possible to choose another gear as the bike stands still – shifting will take place a soon as the wheels are turning. For people who often shift gear / riding very sporty, the Shimano Di2 might be a real benefit.

The Supernova M99Pro is a real breakthrough in bicycle lighting. First time ever, you have a street legal light, which is sufficient for a 45km/h e-bike. The daytime running light is far better visible then the ST2 s – U. With both together, car drivers will no longer recognize you as slow bicycle (and refuse your ROW). You may toggling between daytime light and low beam by pressing the well-known light button – or after pressing this button longer between high- and low beam.

It wasn’t nighttime, so I can’t say anything about the brightness. But on my own Stromer, I have a 2200 Lumen MTB headlight. The difference between the Supernova E3 and my LD 4 is more than only great. As the M99Pro has a special road reflector, I expect less brightness around the riding direction, but more light in the distance.

Dear readers,

I've posted several pictures - and more to come - at the Stromerfourm in switzerland. Feel free to pass by.

Last edited:
It was hot and I want come back totally sweaty, so I kept the speed at on a easy reachable level...

upload_2015-8-29_17-13-31.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The st2 s still has a hub motor, correct? Then the number of gears and their ratio is irrelevant to the motor torque. It'll help the rider match cadence with the motor for sure, but that's it.

The st2 s still has a hub motor, correct? Then the number of gears and their ratio is irrelevant to the motor torque.

Totally correct!

The major benefit of a hub motor is, that it's forces do never pollute the drivetrain. But I will emphasize something different. Most hub drives carry the electronic into the motor. Often, the efficiency is bad on slow speed. This causes heat in the motor... Not with the ST2 / ST2 s. Both carry the electronic outside the motor (in the lower frame tube) and the torque they offer let you climb hills fast enough - even if the amount of gears is limited.

I added an XTR groupset to the ST2 as I like the crispness of the shifting and the derailleur produces less chain slap over significant bumps. Honestly though I only use a few gears so I am wondering who the target market is for the DI2 system. I agree that it is cool but the price/value proposition is out of whack. I do like the brighter headlamp but a simple Light and Motion Addition will give you 1500 lumens and light up the world. Only real upgrade in terms of performance is the larger battery. I am not sure that the extra $3K US that this bike will cost would be considered a good buy.

The market appeal (or what we call addressable market) for the ST2 is much smaller than the average e-bike offered by competitors. The St2s makes the addressable market even smaller. Bluecat, have you talked to senior management at Stromer and asked them the marketing logic of going way upscale. Not sure this is a smart business decision.

IMHO, if you removed the OMNI system completely, adding the controller refinements and hub of the ST2, and offered a larger batter and could sell the bike for around the $4K mark, Stromer would have a significantly larger market to address.

IMHO, if you removed the OMNI system completely, adding the controller refinements and hub of the ST2, and offered a larger batter and could sell the bike for around the $4K mark, Stromer would have a significantly larger market to address.

The new ST1 will come in 2017, so please be patient ;-)

Even as the Chairman of the Board was present at the booth, we couldn't address tough questions to him. There is still no new capital found. But a walk around the fair showed, the "Stromer" are - in terms of design and technology - nearly without competition! Regarding 45km/h motors, Bosch has vast majority, Panasonic seems disappeared. Some niche players like G-SwissDrive also exists.

Yes, XT / XTR are far better in handling then SLX. But now I've learned, Di2 beats them all. I think, a premium bike should have adequate components: e.g. Di2 shifting, Magura MT5 (because of the round ball), DT swiss wheels, Supernova M99Pro. In difference to my LD4 (permanently connected to the Stromer battery), the M99Pro is street legal and can be used without complaints.

upload_2015-8-30_21-26-2.png

No question the st2s is using state of the art stuff. Will need to consider selling one of my wives to afford one.........

Looks like it is a Fizik saddle (not the Brooks cambium)!
Also, curious if the lever beneath the saddle is for dropper seat post adjustment?

Looks like it is a Fizik saddle ...!
Also, curious if the lever beneath the saddle is for dropper seat post adjustment?
The gas lift was there because it's easier to adapt saddle height for the different visitors = no standard device. BTW: The standard clamp with the imbus screw was improved.

upload_2015-8-31_21-9-4.png

I am in need of an improved clamp. I have to raise my Bodyfloat at the beginning and the 1/2 way point of every ride !

Graphite paste will solve your seat post slippage. Mellow Johneys in Austin has some. Mine did the same slippage thing. 30 % less torque required after applying paste. Wonderfull stuff !

I haven't had a problem with the seatpost but have stripped the bolt on a previous bike numerous times. Be sure to check that you do not have a stripped bolt.

Did have a chat with the US marketing manager about ST2-S.
They are looking to make a rear rack as an optional accessory and I do think rack is an important add-on for practical purposes. Looking fwd to riding this soon.

Did have a chat with the US marketing manager about ST2-S.
They are looking to make a rear rack as an optional accessory...
Remarkable statement.
On Eurobike, they emphasized, ST1 s and ST2 s have been set up as sport bikes. Therefore, they have advanced gear / transmission technologies - but no rear rack. The standard edition of these two sportbikes - the ST1 t and the ST2 - still have rear racks and a milder gear setting.

Looking fwd to riding this soon.
Looking forward to your detailed report :)

Remarkable statement.
On Eurobike, they emphasized, ST1 s and ST2 s have been set up as sport bikes. Therefore, they have advanced gear / transmission technologies - but no rear rack. The standard edition of these two sportbikes - the ST1 t and the ST2 - still have rear racks and a milder gear setting.

Looking forward to your detailed report :)
Not quite sure I understand what Stromer means by sport bikes. The geometry of the Stromers is definitely not sport (as in road racing geometry, drop handlebars, and carbon fiber). DI2 is cool but certainly not necessary for performance and am not sure what you mean by milder gear settings. Guess I am not totally aware of how Stromer defines the European market. I'd sure love to get the socio, demo, eco, and biking graphics they target.

... not sure what you mean by milder gear settings.

ST2 offers twice the amount of gears as ST2 s, ST1 s Schlumpf Speed Drive has (translated) 32T / 53T crank, ST1 t approx 30T / 42T. Conclusion: ST1 tourer supports lower speeds, ST2 sports demands higher flexibility of the rider.

BTW, the Stromer frame (red) is not that far from the BMC Granfondo...

upload_2015-9-7_9-56-11.png

ST2 offers twice the amount of gears as ST2 s, ST1 s Schlumpf Speed Drive has (translated) 32T / 53T crank, ST1 t approx 30T / 42T. Conclusion: ST1 tourer supports lower speeds, ST2 sports demands higher flexibility of the rider.

BTW, the Stromer frame (red) is not that far from the BMC Granfondo...
View attachment 4323
Funny.......my son has a new BMC (AlpenChallenge) and we both love the Granfondo. I would buy one if I were not old and feeble. Great bike! Especially the GF01 DI2.

Nice to see St2s has made some very nice changes. Plenty of rear fender clearance now. And the new seat post clamp looks like will do the job. Looks like a new frame too.? With range improvement, headlight, elec.shifting, nice saddle, should be a very nice ride.

Last edited:
Looks like a new frame too.?

upload_2015-9-20_21-58-8.png

The frame is still the same; you see the cap, where the the wiring of the ST2 shifting system goes into the frame. But they added a 22" size frame for the tall people - and do not offer the lady bike frame.

Back