Rider made a comment yesterday on the trail

I had a direct "verbal attack" once, in a long line of recreational cyclists waiting for their turn to walk their bike down on a steep and dangerous technical downhill single track. The guy was a young road cyclist who hissed: "You're cheating... you're aware of that, aren't you?" We had a plenty of time so I explained him a bit about e-bikes. If it happened now, my answer would be: "Cheating? Exactly who?" I'm not in a race.

More interesting is the behaviour of some drivers seeing my S-Pedelec on the road. They are not aware I am street legal on the road and I mustn't ride my e-bike on bike paths. They often honk at me even if they can see the registration plate when approaching from behind of me.
  • If a car approaches from the opposite direction and honks, I blink with my headlight. 1600 lm may not pass unnoticed;
  • If a car has just overtook me and honks, I honk back three times. Bikes are not equipped with the horn...
:D

My wife and I were stopped at a road crossing waiting for it to clear. We were on our Pedego Interceptors (beach cruisers). I was behind my wife by about 6 ft and I had on panniers. Wife was ahead without panniers. Two riders came up on our left and passed me first then my wife. I heard one of them make a comment to my wife, which I assumed was in regards to the truck that had just whizzed by with no consideration for stopping or slowing down. When we got going again, my wife told me he had said that there motorized bikes are not allowed on the trail. That really irritated me. First, they are not considered motorized bikes per Ohio law, and second why make the comment to my wife and ride off like a little pansy? I was ready to go full throttle and catch up to them and set them straight, but my wife insisted we let it go. Irritated me for far too long as I
Don’t waste your time worrying about it or trying to convert anyone or having to justify why you ride an ebike
I have found the majority of snide comments are from people who only consider that riding a bike is for sport and competition
They will never understand that most bikes and ebikes ridden globally are used as a means of transportation, not competition

Don’t waste your time worrying about it or trying to convert anyone or having to justify why you ride an ebike
I have found the majority of snide comments are from people who only consider that riding a bike is for sport and competition
They will never understand that most bikes and ebikes ridden globally are used as a means of transportation, not competition
For recreation and fitness, too.

My wife and I were stopped at a road crossing waiting for it to clear. We were on our Pedego Interceptors (beach cruisers). I was behind my wife by about 6 ft and I had on panniers. Wife was ahead without panniers. Two riders came up on our left and passed me first then my wife. I heard one of them make a comment to my wife, which I assumed was in regards to the truck that had just whizzed by with no consideration for stopping or slowing down. When we got going again, my wife told me he had said that there motorized bikes are not allowed on the trail. That really irritated me. First, they are not considered motorized bikes per Ohio law, and second why make the comment to my wife and ride off like a little pansy? I was ready to go full throttle and catch up to them and set them straight, but my wife insisted we let it go. Irritated me for far too long as I
Any guy that would make a comment like that to a lady - especially a lady being followed/accompanied by her husband - is a coward. Pure and simple. A spineless, entitled jackass of a coward.

Sorry this happened to your wife, and to you.

A few weeks ago a guy that looked about my age (but obviously in better shape) passed me on an “analog” bike, kind of stared at my bike (my e-motor was off) and sped down the trail. Later on, I was going up a long, steep hill with the e-motor on (Touring setting) and I passed him going up. As I passed him I said “dont mind me, I’m cheating”. At the top of the hill where I stopped for a water break he stopped and asked me several questions about the bike. We had a great conversation about his vintage Fuji bike and older bikes I’ve had. Had a great talk which is what biking should be about.
I fully admit it’s “cheating” but at my age and given the health issues I’ve had, I just don’t care what others think. Biking is nothing new to me. I’ve lost serious weight, and improved several other health factors. Now with my Allant, I get my heart rate up far longer and far more consistently. I’m out enjoying a longer ride and now, if I need a bit of help here and there, so be it!

A few weeks ago a guy that looked about my age (but obviously in better shape) passed me on an “analog” bike, kind of stared at my bike (my e-motor was off) and sped down the trail. Later on, I was going up a long, steep hill with the e-motor on (Touring setting) and I passed him going up. As I passed him I said “dont mind me, I’m cheating”. At the top of the hill where I stopped for a water break he stopped and asked me several questions about the bike. We had a great conversation about his vintage Fuji bike and older bikes I’ve had. Had a great talk which is what biking should be about.
I fully admit it’s “cheating” but at my age and given the health issues I’ve had, I just don’t care what others think. Biking is nothing new to me. I’ve lost serious weight, and improved several other health factors. Now with my Allant, I get my heart rate up far longer and far more consistently. I’m out enjoying a longer ride and now, if I need a bit of help here and there, so be it!

The ebike has allowed us to ride together. She needs one because of knee and hip issues. She could not ride at all without an ebike. I could ride my road bike with her, but she putts along @ 12 mph in PAS 1 or 2. I'm not sure I could ride that slow on my road bike. And the riding position of the Pedego is so much more conducive to talking and enjoying each other's company.

The ebike has allowed us to ride together. She needs one because of knee and hip issues. She could not ride at all without an ebike. I could ride my road bike with her, but she putts along @ 12 mph in PAS 1 or 2. I'm not sure I could ride that slow on my road bike. And the riding position of the Pedego is so much more conducive to talking and enjoying each other's company.
It’s just the opposite for my wife and I. I got this ebike partially to be able to keep up with her over longer rides. We went on our first 20+ mile ride in years this last weekend.😎

Last year, my wife crossed 1000 miles on her ebike. I don't think she had riddden 500 miles total on a bike prior to ebiking in the 40+ years after I met her. Although I called myself a biking enthusiast, I doubt I had much more than 1000 miles myself. I still recall epic rides down to the Dairy Queen with my kids from 30 years ago, that I now realize were like 5 miles. This year, she has 700 miles and I'm at 975 miles so far.

My sister and her husband got ebikes at Xmas. They're now riding a lot. and plan to do ride a 25 mile trail next week. My wife now sez .."that's nothing". Nothing as long as I pack a set of spare batteries for her, we can do 50 if we had to do so. So far, 35 is as long as we've ridden.

All this should come as no great surprise. There will always be those who are critical of others who dress and act differently. It should also be noted that all "spandexers" aren't ebike haters. Those that do, also hate the mom & pop riders out on the trail with the kiddies or the old duffers clogging up the path on their conventional bikes. With a few exceptions, spandex is not the preferred dress of self centered jerks.

Should I be ashamed I wear the full cycling uniform for any of my rides (except fast grocery shopping)? Modern cycling clothes are comfortable, breathable and the right attire for any weather can be found. I cannot ride in cotton anymore: I feel like I were suffocating in a T-shirt.

View attachment 55858
This set is ideal for 18 C and strong wind. Just the thermoactive base layer and chamois shorts. 55 miles of full ride comfort.
Helmet strap laxness, Stefan!

I'm good for today now :)

Ya I really don't get the whole mindset of cheating.
Who and what are ebikes cheating someone out of?

Agreed - I think people either confuse jealousy for a sense of fairness or are inappropriately applying some purity standard that they've conjured up. In either case, it's their problem, not yours.

As an imperfect analogy - I have neighbors that pay a landscaping company to do 100% of their yard work. I, on the other hand, spend countless dozens of hours each year mulching, mowing, raking, etc. I could afford to pay someone to do those things, but I enjoy the exercise, the time outdoors, and saving the money. If I hated the work and also couldn't afford to pay someone else to do it, I could see that potentially making me a little bitter towards my neighbors, but if they've earned the money and that's how they choose to spend it, good on them. I certainly wouldn't tell them that they're cheating on their yard work given the opportunity.

Last edited:
1592491173365.jpeg

I got some gentle teasing from 3 (much younger) road bikers the other day. When they went around me, one of them said "Hey ... you using that motor?". I replied "You bet ... on the low assist level!" About 20 minutes later, I met them coming back the other way and the same guy said "We had to turn around. We just can't keep up with that motor" and I said "OK, I'll try to slow down for you." They all just laughed and waved as we passed.

That type of exchange along with genuine curiosity about my ebike has been the most common experience for me.

Ya I really don't get the whole mindset of cheating.
Who and what are ebikes cheating someone out of?
As for me, i said it as a joke and the guy I passed got it immediately. I think we both knew I’d never have passed him without my ebike. Obviously nobody is being cheated out of anything unless it’s a race for money and somehow it’s a secret that you’re using an ebike!😂

I have encountered a few comments. I tell them my other ride is a wheelchair. That usually ends it. I have encountered bikers who were interested in how it all worked. All types in the world, try to ignore the ones that piss you off, and celebrate the others...

Haven't run into any comments from people outside yet, but I'd think those haters will keep their mouths shut pretty soon. ebikes are popping up all over for tons of different reasons and are becoming accepted more than ever. I'm in my 30s, I'm still very capable of conventional biking and I do it a lot. I bought the ebike as a car replacement, not a bike replacement. A few others in my (small) neighborhood, are quite older than I am and use them as their every days bikes. Totally get it. Around here they seem pretty much accepted, or people who don't like them deal with them at least... and if anyone ever has a problem, I'll have a few swift words with them :)

Back