Ridecontrol App Crashes

GBuck

I have a 2018 Fastroad and I’ve been trying to use the Ridecontrol app with it. The app syncs with the bike, but then crashes and freezes the controller on the bike.
Has anyone else had this problem?
My phone is iPhone X with the latest iOS.

Glad I am not the only one! Just purchased the 2019 Giant Fathom and I can connect to the bike and then as soon as I try to start a ride it drops connection. I am on a Galaxy Note 9 which recently updated to Android Pie. Going by the Google play store reviews all android users are having issues on the latest version. Hopefully they realise with a new update for IOS and Android shortly.

It was working for me for about 2 weeks, but now if I try to open an earlier ride it will crash. No new rides will sync to the cloud.

In my opinion its a pretty poor app. Hard to see any useful information while you are riding. No customisation options.

I really wish I could get an Evo display fitted to my explore E.

Can only hope that if they get enough negative feedback they might make the option available.

It was working for me for about 2 weeks, but now if I try to open an earlier ride it will crash. No new rides will sync to the cloud.

In my opinion its a pretty poor app. Hard to see any useful information while you are riding. No customisation options.

Can only hope that if they get enough negative feedback they might make the option available.
That's exactly what I thought re feedback so have currently left a one star review on the play store to go along with the others explaining that currently it is not working.

Hopefully they fix it soon!

My App finally updated last night so I was straight out to test it and i can happily say its working fine and no longer crashes when you go to log a ride!

I've tried to use the app 3 times - First time. Perfect. Second time it dropped connection and didn't record the ride. Third time upon viewing the ride stats in Strava it flatlined the cadence and speed for 90% of the ride, i.e. it was working correctly for about 5 kms then locked the speed at 25.6kph and cadence at 91rpm for about 20km then for the last 5km started working again. Think I'm just going to use Strava to record the app, Ride Control only gives you cadence anyway.

I've tried to use the app 3 times - First time. Perfect. Second time it dropped connection and didn't record the ride. Third time upon viewing the ride stats in Strava it flatlined the cadence and speed for 90% of the ride, i.e. it was working correctly for about 5 kms then locked the speed at 25.6kph and cadence at 91rpm for about 20km then for the last 5km started working again. Think I'm just going to use Strava to record the app, Ride Control only gives you cadence anyway.

I'm new to this (my bike will be here on Tuesday)... do I understand correctly that there is a way for Strava to get info from the RideControl? I'd love it if it could record cadence as well as the other stuff it does.

And that leads to the next question... if Strava can somehow read that data, is it possible that Apple Workouts (started from the Apple Watch) and/or the Activity app also would be able to read that data?

I've currently settled on the routine (with my non e-bike) of starting WorkOuts on my Apple Watch, capturing everything other than cadence and then viewing it on the iPhone Activity app. Plus with an app called HealthFit, that data is automatically transferred over to Strava. So I have the best of both worlds that way.

It would be fantastic if there could be a link from RideControl to Strava or Apple Workouts. I guess I'm dreaming.

Strava doesn't record cadence off of the bike unfortunately.
I have successfully use Ridecontrol to record my rides, and then upload them to Strava, and that works to include cadence. Haven't used Ridecontrol in a while though except to check exact battery capacity, and look for firmware updates.
Maybe I'll try again tonight.

Strava doesn't record cadence off of the bike unfortunately.
I have successfully use Ridecontrol to record my rides, and then upload them to Strava, and that works to include cadence. Haven't used Ridecontrol in a while though except to check exact battery capacity, and look for firmware updates.
Maybe I'll try again tonight.

Oh, I'm encouraged by your reply! When you say you've used Ridecontrol to record your rides, including cadence, are you talking about the Ridecontrol on the bike (in my case it'll be the EVO) or the phone app? So maybe it'll be possible for me to continue using the Apple watch app Workouts to record my workout and have it visible with everything I want (except for cadence), and then using HealthFit have it automatically copied to Strava (like I'm doing now) AND pick up the cadence from the Ridecontrol and move it to Strava. Sounds complicated, and probably it's not going to work. But maybe...

Oh, I'm encouraged by your reply! When you say you've used Ridecontrol to record your rides, including cadence, are you talking about the Ridecontrol on the bike (in my case it'll be the EVO) or the phone app? So maybe it'll be possible for me to continue using the Apple watch app Workouts to record my workout and have it visible with everything I want (except for cadence), and then using HealthFit have it automatically copied to Strava (like I'm doing now) AND pick up the cadence from the Ridecontrol and move it to Strava. Sounds complicated, and probably it's not going to work. But maybe...
I know that the app was created to start working on 2019 bikes. That being said, I've heard of some 2018s working too.
What I don't know is if it works with all display types. Mine has no display at all.
When you get the bike, turn it on and try and sync/add the bike with the app, then look for firmware updates for the bike.
You should be able to adjust the assist levels as well, if desired.
Then start to record and go for a ride. When you're done (do a short run/test) you should be able to upload to Strava, it will ask for your account info obvs.
I "think" you can add devices to monitor HR etc, but I don't have any to test with.

I know that the app was created to start working on 2019 bikes. That being said, I've heard of some 2018s working too.
What I don't know is if it works with all display types. Mine has no display at all.
When you get the bike, turn it on and try and sync/add the bike with the app, then look for firmware updates for the bike.
You should be able to adjust the assist levels as well, if desired.
Then start to record and go for a ride. When you're done (do a short run/test) you should be able to upload to Strava, it will ask for your account info obvs.
I "think" you can add devices to monitor HR etc, but I don't have any to test with.

Hi Dave,
You said "then look for firmware updates".

I can't find a menu that references Firmware Updating, on my phone app.......
It just shows Software & Hardware Version numbers (in the Settings menu) that don't really tell me how current they are, or not.

Any advice ?

P.S. Plus I continue to get a "Failure to Upload" (my Ride) message.

Craig

Hi Dave,
You said "then look for firmware updates".

I can't find a menu that references Firmware Updating, on my phone app.......
It just shows Software & Hardware Version numbers (in the Settings menu) that don't really tell me how current they are, or not.

Any advice ?

P.S. Plus I continue to get a "Failure to Upload" (my Ride) message.

Craig

On my new Explore E+1 GTS, I don't see any reference to updating firmware either, on the app. But the app connects to the bike just fine. I haven't tried recording rides (have no interest in that because I use the Apple Watch Workouts app in combination with Strava). I read somewhere on this forum that firmware updating might have been removed from the app due to too many failed updates resulting in having to visit the dealer.

Hmmm... well with much trepidation, that option was there last season, and I used it to update the firmware on my Fathom.
Maybe it's only there if there is an update available?
Just looked at mine and it's not there either

Oh well ......... Not the end of the world.

Strava is good, but then I have to go to Giant App to see Battery detail.
Can't have everything in one place I guess..........

Oh well ......... Not the end of the world.

Strava is good, but then I have to go to Giant App to see Battery detail.
Can't have everything in one place I guess..........

You mean after the ride or during? Are you talking about something other than seeing the current battery charge level?

You mean after the ride or during? Are you talking about something other than seeing the current battery charge level?

After the ride the Giant App gives me a specific % of remaining Battery Life.
Not just 5 Bars.
Via Bluetooth to the bike

Back