Ride1up Support Nightmare - I Do Not Recommend Ride1up

cardiobiker

Region
USA
I would never recommend Ride1up to anyone after my experience last summer.

I posted on this thread last July that my Ride1up Core 5 made this strange grinding sound every time I engaged the throttle or PAS. After sending multiple videos to Ride1up support, they diagnosed it as a motor problem. Since it was out of warranty, they said it will cost $250.00.

Fine. I spent the $250 for the motor + another $100.00 for a bike shop to install it. Guess what, same grinding problem. So it was not the motor. So then Ride1up support sent a controller. I installed the controller and still had the same problem. Sent more photos to Ride1up support and waited.

All this back and forth with support, shipping fiascos and waiting, took the whole summer. Since Ride1up support seemed like they didn't know what they were doing, I took the Core5 to a local bike shop. 2 days later, my bike was fixed. The local bike shop just changed a $15.00 cable.

I tried to return the motor and get a refund but Ride1up support would not pay for the return shipping and they said that the motor has to be like new. Well the motor wouldn't be like new since it was already installed in the bike and tested for several miles.

So in total I spent around $400.00 to fix my Ride1up bike when it only should have cost $15.00. Plus Ride1up ruined my biking season that summer. I would never recommend Ride1up to anyone.

I posted on this thread last July that my Ride1up Core 5 made this strange grinding sound every time I engaged the throttle or PAS. After sending multiple videos to Ride1up support, they diagnosed it as a motor problem. Since it was out of warranty, they said it will cost $250.00.

Fine. I spent the $250 for the motor + another $100.00 for a bike shop to install it. Guess what, same grinding problem. So it was not the motor. So then Ride1up support sent a controller. I installed the controller and still had the same problem. Sent more photos to Ride1up support and waited.

All this back and forth with support, shipping fiascos and waiting, took the whole summer. Since Ride1up support seemed like they didn't know what they were doing, I took the Core5 to a local bike shop. 2 days later, my bike was fixed. The local bike shop just changed a $15.00 cable.

I tried to return the motor and get a refund but Ride1up support would not pay for the return shipping and they said that the motor has to be like new. Well the motor wouldn't be like new since it was already installed in the bike and tested for several miles.

So in total I spent around $400.00 to fix my Ride1up bike when it only should have cost $15.00. Plus Ride1up ruined my biking season that summer. I would never recommend Ride1up to anyone.
Your description and ultimate diagnosis dont seem to add up.

1.) You describe a grinding that only occurs when on throttle or PAS. Since its a hub drive which puts no load on the drivetrain (crank/chain/cassette), it most certainly sounds like a motor issue. My neighbor has a core 5 and the motor is VERY loud. Maybe not what you would consider a grinding noise but its loud (I can hear him a block away). DId you send ride1up a video/audio of the issue?

2.) The only cable that a local bike shop would be able to fix for $15 would be for the rear mechanical brake or derailler (shifter). Since you use the term 'grinding', I am assuming it was the rear brake. The core 5 uses a mechanical rear brake (Bad design for a rear hub motor in that it needs a 'modified tool' to adjust
).

3.) Brakes can be fine (no grinding noise) but very small things can make them grind due to flexing of the frame and/or fork. All my bikes (ebike or acoustic) can have brake grind depending on how I apply loads to the frame while riding. My guess is your rear brake clearance was marginal and adding motor power thru throttle or PAS caused enough flex for the brakes to grind. Super easy to adjust (although tedious) by adjusting the caliber position in relation to the disc. I see no way replacing a cable would fix this except they had to readjust the caliber after replacing the cable anyways.

I am in no way defending Ride1up as I agree their customer service is sh$t (direct experience from neighbor who had a bent derailler hanger on his)

Such is the reality of direct to consumer ebikes

Cardiobiker,
I am sorry for the wasted time and money that you spent.

However, If you are unable to distinguish between a motor grinding noise and a grinding noise caused by a faulty cable, then you are not mechanically inclined, and should not be diagnosing your own bike problems, much less doing your own repairs. Unless you are willing to accept that there is a learning curve cost (time+money) to develop the necessary mechanical skills to do your own bike repairs, you should always take your bike to a bike store to have your service problems diagnosed, as you eventually did, which solved the problem for $15.00.

I cannot fault Ride1UP for not being able to diagnose a problem without the bike being present. Many problems can be correctly diagnosed remotely with pictures, videos, consumer descriptions, etc., but not all, and there is always a chance that the "remote" diagnosis could be wrong and you will waste money and time.

When you purchase a bike online and start diagnosing your own problems without going to your local bike store, the responsibility for the outcome is squarely yours to own.

You should change your headline to, "Mysterious Rear Grinding Noise on Ride1up Core5 Fixed"

There are some and most know who you are that should not be doing any mechanical diagnosis on stuff. In this case it sounds like the shoe fits.
Blaming someone else in this case is just wrong.

If you had a local bike repair shop why didn't you start with them? It's not easy to diagnose a problem over the phone.

Folks,
I did not diagnose this problem on my own. I sent 3 videos to Ride1up support and they diagnosed it as a motor problem. Also yes, I am not mechanically inclined that's why I called Ride1up support. I only followed Ride1up support's instructions and this was the result. Here was my previous post when this problem started. https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/new-stator-for-my-core-5.49874/
@teskow, I am blaming Ride1up support because they misdiagnosed the problem.

Thanks folks for the support.
Cardiobiker

It’s unfortunate that you had a problem with your bike, and it was difficult to find cause, though in the end it now works. This is the main drawback of not buying from a LBS, and in my experience it’s not unique to Ride1UP, and often also the trade-off for much better pricing by buying online.

That’s why I recommend that my non-technically inclined friends buy from a LBS, but those comfortable with doing some minor bike maintenance or troubleshooting buy from a generally good mfg like Ride1UP to save $$$.

In my personal experience, I’ve bought online from three different e-bike companies, but I’m very comfortable with minor repairs and maintainance. In each case, I had some minor issues, and in some cases had to spend some $ for repairs. But I saved thousands by doing so, and all of the bikes worked in the end.

It is difficult for anyone to troubleshoot by email, videos and by phone, so if you’re not really mechanically inclined, in hindsight a LBS would have been your best bet.

At least for me, the customer support from Ride1UP was actually very good, and I hear the same from many others. But given the volume of bikes made these days, and staffing available at companies, I’m sure for Ride1UP, and all other mail order companies, there is some percentage of unhappy customers due to individual circumstances.

Good luck and hope you have many trouble free miles going forward!

One complication is that most bike shops won't try and fix non Bosch/Shimano electronics, and if you think the problem is electric related, you may feel like Ride or whoever is your only option.

There are a growing number of ebike techs though who will at least attempt to fix your electronics - I found this directory:

Funny you mention Juiced Bikes. I had a minor issue when I first got a bike from them, but was able to resolve with minor adjustments. And no LBS was willing to work on it. After that, I got 10,000 miles on it, before the controller burned out. Had a lot of fun with it. Not bad for a bike that years ago cost me under $1500, I think (when e-bikes in general were more expensive).

Funny you mention Juiced Bikes. I had a minor issue when I first got a bike from them, but was able to resolve with minor adjustments. And no LBS was willing to work on it. After that, I got 10,000 miles on it, before the controller burned out. Had a lot of fun with it. Not bad for a bike that years ago cost me under $1500, I think (when e-bikes in general were more expensive).
Of the four shops near me that I patronize for pedal bike service, three are happy to do mechanical work on outside e-bikes. If you're in a city with 3+ bike shops, esp if they're chains, getting mechanical work done is probably not a problem.

If my R1U LMTD were to develop a grinding noise once it's out of warranty, my first response would be to take it to the LBS.

But if I were to instead consult R1U about it and if they recommended a new $250 motor, I'd have waited until the motor stopped working before replacing it. A little extra noise I can live with for a while... and in the meantime I'm still riding, and I still have my $250!

Ride1up totally did not assemble the torque sensor into the bottom bracket on my Limtd (2022 July), and it arrived loo loose, and subsequently came completely off, ripping the sensor wires - I took the bike to my local shop (that had assembled it), emailed R1U, and cc-ed the bike shop guy. That way, he could see the entire conversation between me and R1U reps, and even chime in when needed. They advised taking the bottom bracket apart and checking things out and that's when he discovered the FU T sensor. R1U sent a new one immediately, and paid for the shop fees. It was a no hassle situation that took about a week to fix my bike (3 days for the part to come in, then the shop just had to find time to do it). I am very sorry you had a poor experience, but my single experience was that R1U tried very hard to give great service, and they succeeded.

I will note that the e-bike tech guy had zero issues working on electronics. They are a specialized dealer, so he has experience, and they do full e-bike builds for people all the time.

Back