Ride1UP Mid Drive Teaser

Achterbahn

Region
USA
City
Bay Area, CA
Hey folks,

Kevin, the owner of Ride1UP, recently posted a couple of photos teasing the latest mid-drive bike to be introduced later in 2021, initially without any additional details. I thought I'd share the photos here with you as well.

Product page: https://ride1up.com/product/prodigy/

Thread link: https://m.facebook.com/groups/264729534163214/permalink/730402037595959/?anchor_composer=false

What we know so far:
  • Brose TF Sprinter Motor
  • 90 Nm torque
  • 28mph top speed
  • No throttle
  • $2200+ price point
  • Targeted release date Sep 2021, realistic delivery in 2022
1609366617395.png
1609366642296.png

Last edited:
It looks like a clone of my wife's Specialized Como3 Step Through. Also a Brose motor and around $2500 (if you can only find one ...)

What is the advantage supposed to be?

Interesting that the diamond frame has knobby tires and the mixte has slicks. Probably just renders? Kevin has repeatedly said he targets commute/transportation usage, so I don't get having knobbies stock. Though maybe some customers still want it anyway.

Good looking bike. Where was this posted?

What is the advantage supposed to be?

Interesting that the diamond frame has knobby tires and the mixte has slicks. Probably just renders? Kevin has repeatedly said he targets commute/transportation usage, so I don't get having knobbies stock. Though maybe some customers still want it anyway.

Good looking bike. Where was this posted?
Yeah, these look like renders. Just happy to see them expand their lineup. 2 years ago they only nas 1-2 options.

This was posted in a Facebook group for R1U owners.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201231-140838_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20201231-140838_Brave.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 409
  • Screenshot_20201231-140814_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20201231-140814_Brave.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 424
Last edited:
I'll update the top post with
So these are actual final photos, and they won't be released til September (or 2022), so says Kevin.

Please post link next time @siqueirah

The mixte looks very nice. Alivio derailleur, G-One Speed 27.5"-50mm. Backswept bar and slickly integrated lights and fenders. Looks wise, this rivals far pricier bikes.
On FB, read no throttle.
Yeah, those info were shared afterwards. Thanks for the update. I've updated the top post with the link and what we know so far.

@krdugger if you're still reading here: considering you're increasingly going upmarket, your 1 year warranty on not only parts but the frame is pretty underwhelming. A 5 year warranty on frame and fork, and a 2-3 year warranty on electronic parts, seems like a reasonable *minimum*.

It won't be ready until 2022. So says the founder.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210112-152850_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20210112-152850_Brave.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 365
Very nice kit. Great tires, very well finessed design. Main downsides I see are the 504wh battery (why is it so much smaller than their other models), and the 1 year warranty. Still not a 10 speed and it's only one size. Compare with the Priority Current ($2600 at Costco).

Very nice kit. Great tires, very well finessed design. Main downsides I see are the 504wh battery (why is it so much smaller than their other models), and the 1 year warranty. Still not a 10 speed and it's only one size. Compare with the Priority Current ($2600 at Costco).
Compared to their other models, the mid drive motor should be much more energy efficient, which helps.

But yes, I'm only following this as curiosity, since I just recently got the Current.

Compared to their other models, the mid drive motor should be much more energy efficient, which helps.
Until it's documented, I'm skeptical that a middrive is much more efficient than a geared hub.

Much more plausible is that mid-drives are on bikes that are designed to be efficient across the board. Lighter slicker quality tires, rigid fork, and 15-20mph top speed (!!) premium big brand Euro ebikes vs direct sales startup brands with knobby fat tires, heavy suspension forks and high top speed.

See also:

Here is the latest information from Electrek... Ride1Up announces lowest-cost 28 MPH Brose mid-drive e-bikes yet (electrek.co)

..."hub motor-based e-bikes have been low-hanging fruit for many budget-oriented e-bike manufacturers, mid-drive electric bicycles have eluded affordability for years. The centrally-mounted drive units often produced by proprietary German manufacturers have typically kept prices lofty – often in the $3k-$5k range. However, the new Ride1Up Prodigy seems to have cracked the code to affordability.
Featuring a Brose TF Sprinter mid-drive motor with internal belt reduction, the Ride1Up Prodigy offers Class 3 speeds of up to 28 mph (45 km/h) with an entry-level price of $2,195.
As the company’s co-founder Kevin Dugger explained to me via email:

“The manufacturers of the components we want for this model are so far behind sadly. We will likely take pre-orders this summer with an earlier shipping date likely. Interestingly, it’s a lot easier to get low end components right now than high-end components.”
While we wait for pre-orders to open, we can still enjoy ogling the lowest-priced Brose-powered mid-drive electric bicycle yet. The Ride1Up Prodigy sports impressive specs for its price, including not just that Brose motor with included torque sensor but also four-piston hydraulic disc brakes, a 9-speed Shimano Alivio transmission and included rear rack and fender set. Buchel LED lights in the front and rear and Schwalbe G-One tires keep riders safe and stuck to the road, at least on the pavement-oriented XR and ST frames that offer a step-over and step-through geometry, respectively. Both include a hydroformed aluminum fork to match the frame.

There’s also a MTB version that upgrades to a suspension fork and Maxxis Forekaster tires, but looses the fenders and rear rack.
You likely won’t miss those commuter-spec components when you’re screaming down the trails anyways though.

1610820474770.png

Back