Ride1UP Core5 no assist or throttle

Roudiedog

Region
USA
I have two Core 5 bikes that are about 1 1/2 years old. I was going to go for a ride on the one with the most miles on it, about 2000 mi. I turned it on and the display worked fine but I had no power to the rear wheel. No throttle and no assist. I took the battery out and installed the battery from the other bike and same thing. Next I unhooked the cable by the rear wheel and got the other bike so they were side by side and hooked the good bike to the cable on the bad bike. The wheel on the bad bike worked fine so I put it back the way it was and decided to take apart the internals where the battery power goes into the bike. I pulled all the wires and the control box out and disconnected each connection and reconnected each wire. I took the battery and plugged it in and the dammed thing worked. Must have been one of those connections. Hope this info helps someone.

Good job! As long as there's no error message on your display, the simplest solution is often the best one. That said, I think you got lucky. Many times these symptoms indicate a short from an abraided or crushed wire and those can be pretty hard to locate.

Good job! As long as there's no error message on your display, the simplest solution is often the best one. That said, I think you got lucky. Many times these symptoms indicate a short from an abraided or crushed wire and those can be pretty hard to locate.
Next thing I would like to do is see if I can switch from a thumb to a twist. I will probably have to pull everything back out of the frame and find the connection for the throttle so I can make sure that I purchase the right plug. My brother also has two Core 5 bikes and he said that he wished his was a twist.

I believe Member Fast n' Furious put a 1/2 twist throttle on his LMT'D; his detailed post is here on the R1U Forum. Seems like it should work on a Core 5 as well...

I believe Member Fast n' Furious put a 1/2 twist throttle on his LMT'D; his detailed post is here on the R1U Forum. Seems like it should work on a Core 5 as well...
I will check it out thanks. Have you ever tried a twist?

I will check it out thanks. Have you ever tried a twist?
Sorry I missed your reply. My first ebike had a twist throttle on the right side, the way motorcycles are setup. There are a lot of old motorcycle riders like me who really wish more ebikes came with twisties. It's true they can cause accidental wheelies, but IMHO they are much better at holding a steady speed than a thumb throttle.

I’m amazed that they are so inexpensive. Not much riding when it gets cold here in Minnesota so there is going to be plenty of time to work on it.

Back