Ride Control Firmware

Do you have a way to read yours?
My dealer verified/updated mine on delivery. I don't know if it changed or not, nor what version it was.

I wonder if there's something in the app. I don't think so, but I'll look later if I remember.
But really, if it's working properly - go enjoy! If it's not broken you don't need to fix it. LOL

I got a new Ride Control firmware update on 2/14/2020. It also update the Evo display and changed it quite a bit from what I had seen before. It also changed the walk button option. The dealer had to show me how to use it. I push the walk button then release it while a bar is flashing on the display. Then push the Power Up/Down button to actually engage it. Suppose to be a safety feature. I would not have figured out on my own.

Updated from what to what though?

I just logged on the bike with the app and there's no firmware version data to view. Very basic settings. There's a IOS version for the app.
In fact, I've just left all my ride control custom settings to full max. I tried changing some of them just to see what it would do and didn't notice any change.

The '19+ doesn't have a display. I use the smartphone app. I didn't realize there was a walk button. 👍

Just updated my giant road e+pro2 did it through the android phone app took nearly an hour to do, make sure you have plenty of battery on the phone and bike

Using my iPhone, I check for app updates every day... sometimes even more often. And just minutes ago I was presented with an update to the RideControl e-bike app. It says that it will also update the e-bike to the latest firmware and mentinoes the change to walk assist mentioned above. It says the app version is 1.4.2.

Right now my bike (2019 Explore E+1) is partially disassembled in order for me to install a BikeSpeed RS. (Not going well because with the small frame model of my bike, it doesn't look like there's enough room in the tubes to fit everything.) So I can't run the app to upgrade the bike. Besides, our roads are very snow-covered and it's cold! Riding season here in Montreal won't start until end of March, and that's if we're lucky.

Where do you 'check for updates'? I don't find that option anywhere in the app.

I guess I wasn't clear... I check for app updates (meaning ANY installed app) using the Apple App Store app. And just this morning it presented an update to the Giant RideControl app.

Ah, found it. It's in APPS, there's a menu item at the bottom for updates, and sure enough there's one for Giant Ride Control, but it appears to have already been updated.
I still don't see a place to even check bike firmware version.

App version 1.4.2 - 43.9mb
It does say it 'will automatically update your bikes's firmware.' And a blurb about the walk assist. I wasn't aware it didn't work, but then I've never tried to use it. Would have come in hand last saturday - we had to push the bikes nearly a mile up a hill. OMG. ;)

Ah, found it. It's in APPS, there's a menu item at the bottom for updates, and sure enough there's one for Giant Ride Control, but it appears to have already been updated.
I still don't see a place to even check bike firmware version.

App version 1.4.2 - 43.9mb
It does say it 'will automatically update your bikes's firmware.' And a blurb about the walk assist. I wasn't aware it didn't work, but then I've never tried to use it. Would have come in hand last saturday - we had to push the bikes nearly a mile up a hill. OMG. ;)
Why did you have to push your bikes nearly a mile up a hill? Battery dead and you weren't able to ride?

And where did you hear/read that walk assist wasn't working? It certainly has been working for me on my 2019 Explore E+1. And my RideControl EVO hasn't been updated. Yet.

The update simply changes the way you enable walk assist (from my understanding). And maybe some other changes or improvements.

Why did you have to push your bikes nearly a mile up a hill? Battery dead and you weren't able to ride?

And where did you hear/read that walk assist wasn't working? It certainly has been working for me on my 2019 Explore E+1. And my RideControl EVO hasn't been updated. Yet.

The update simply changes the way you enable walk assist (from my understanding). And maybe some other changes or improvements.

Wife's hub-drive quit on her bike. Likely blew the controller. She had it in 7th gear pas 3 for climbing. :rolleyes: I think it smoked the controller - will have a replacement in a few days. Or I'll buy her a new bike. LOL
I walked with her so as not to leave her behind. Had I known my walk assist worked I would have given her mine to walk, pushed hers. It was .9 mile and we were beat. Then I did an hour test ride on the YT Decoy on single-track trails. Ew boy!

I didn't hear walk-assist wasn't working or didn't work, I just never paid attention or tried to make it work. There's just never been a reason.
Now I'll take a look at the updated app and process to activate it and see if it works. I'm guessing it does. 👍

Sounds like everyone is getting the update I've experienced. Yes, the walk mode button is handy. I've used it to help push up 30% dirt grades that were too steep and loose to ride.

When I went to pick up my new Revolt E+ Pro 10 days ago, my dealer started showing me how the various controls work and when he got to the walk assist function, he couldn't make it work (this was the first 2020 model he had in the store). So he kept the bike and talked to Giant, and they had him download new firmware, with an updated walk assist function. I haven't used it, but apparently you could previously activate it and take your hands off the button, but now you have to keep your hand on a button for it to run. Safety issue, I guess.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I was excited to see the new update as I have a 2018 dirt-e pro 1 (just bought it new late last year) and not all of the features of the older version of that app were implemented on my model but some still worked. I assumed a firmware update would allow things to function as a newer model but now the new version of the app tells me it isn't compatible with my bike and won't work at all.

I know 2018 models were not supposed to work with the app (even though it has Bluetooth) but am I limited by my hardware from having the latest firmware? Wonder if the dealer could flash new firmware and then things would work?

When I went to pick up my new Revolt E+ Pro 10 days ago, my dealer started showing me how the various controls work and when he got to the walk assist function, he couldn't make it work (this was the first 2020 model he had in the store). So he kept the bike and talked to Giant, and they had him download new firmware, with an updated walk assist function. I haven't used it, but apparently you could previously activate it and take your hands off the button, but now you have to keep your hand on a button for it to run. Safety issue, I guess.

Really? That's a bummer! If that's the case, unless there is some other significant reason to update the firmware, I'll stick with the version I have. I often use the walk function... with a loaded bike pushing it up our loading ramp is just a lot easier with walk assist and I often end up holding/directing the bike with just one hand. In my case, I'd hate to have to keep holding a button to use walk assist.

Number of things I notice, with the new firmware and the new Ridecontrol App. Navigation now works on the Evo. I had seen pictures before but never got it to display on mine. Also I can now actually successfully change the display to show distance (instead of speed) for example. There is a bug in navigation where the distance to the next turn is displayed in metric, whereas I have everything else set to imperial. Also my software version in the RideControl app is 20190801000

Very timely information. I had just checked my Android Pixel for any RideControl updates less than a week ago then today I'm browsing this forum and bingo I check my phone and sure enough new update 1.4.2 already installed. It took 15-20 minutes but updated RideControl on 2019 LaFree E+ 1 and 2020 Explore E+ 4. Neat!

A significant upgrade in RideControl app to version 1.4.2 is it adds an 'update bike firmware' option and you can check and verify firmware updates. Version 1.3 of RideControl didn't have any way to check for firmware updates.

Back