Revelation

Gfmucci

This revelation applies to trikes with the 2 wheels in back.

I was waiting in a furniture store while my wife was looking around. Situated in front of the sofa I was sitting on was a 3 legged snack table that you slide up to the sofa. The side of the table with 2 legs was closest to me, and the side with 1 leg was 18" further out from me.

I was envisioning this as a three wheeled trike, with the 2 rear wheels closest to me, and the front wheel furthest out. I checked out the stability of the table/trike at various points at various distances between the legs/wheels closet to me and the single leg/wheel furthest from me. The slightest lateral pressure applied further out on the table caused it to tip over. On the other hand, considerably more lateral pressure was required to cause it to tip when pressure was applied nearest the 2 legs.

This experiment convinced me which trike I should get: The one with the seat closest to the rear wheels. The obvious reason, made more obvious by the table test, was the closer the body weight is to the center point between the 2 rear wheels, the more stable the trike will be.

Any guesses as to which single-front-wheel trike this leads to?

Last edited:
This revelation applies to trikes with the 2 wheels in back.

I was waiting in a furniture store while my wife was looking around. Situated in front of the sofa I was sitting on was a 3 legged snack table that you slide up to the sofa. The side of the table with 2 legs was closest to me, and the side with 1 leg was 18" further out from me.

I was envisioning this as a three wheeled trike, with the 2 rear wheels closest to me, and the front wheel furthest out. I checked out the stability of the table/trike at various points at various distances between the legs/wheels closet to me and the single leg/wheel furthest from me. The slightest lateral pressure applied further out on the table caused it to tip over. On the other hand, considerably more lateral pressure was required to cause it to tip when pressure was applied nearest the 2 legs.

This experiment convinced me which trike I should get: The one with the seat closest to the rear wheels. The obvious reason, made more obvious by the table test, was the closer the body weight is to the center point between the 2 rear wheels, the more stable the trike will be.

Any guesses as to which single-front-wheel trike this leads to?

It reminded me of harness horse racing when I read it yesterday. My father loved harness horse racing and would take me whenever we would be near a horse race track. All the power is up front (horse) and the balance and control are in the back (buggy). It seems to apply to a couple of etrikes. I would never have thought someone could have a revelation in a furniture store about what etrike to purchase but obviously, you did---the ole three-legged snack table revelation.

Back