Resale Values of e-Bikes

There is also the 'gateway drug' effect. Someone buys a cheep electric guitar and then learns to appreciate the really good ones so they upgrade. If I had a ton of money why would I buy a two-year old high-tech bike or phone from someone else?

Debbie's husband is having a milestone birthday. He was an avid rider but now has knee problems. The grandkids, his wife and children want to ride with him but he has been out of the game, benched. So I just made his mid-1980's bike electric today. It is about the experience. This is a chromoly frame. Super comfy.
Any messy connectors or wires?

Attachments

• GTBlue03.JPG
    GTBlue03.JPG
    334.9 KB · Views: 168
  • GTBlue04.JPG
    GTBlue04.JPG
    373 KB · Views: 163
  • GTBlue05.JPG
    GTBlue05.JPG
    362.9 KB · Views: 166
  • GTBlue06.JPG
    GTBlue06.JPG
    441.6 KB · Views: 179
  • GTBlue02.JPG
    GTBlue02.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 159
I know people who enjoy a $100+ bottle of wine when eating out or go to a Ballet or Concert. For me the experiential is what this is about. Ebikes make me feel great. It is not about what I got, a commodity or possession. You can't hold the experience of surfing in your hand. Because I also do new creative things with bikes I like the inspirational ideas too and the idea and ideals that I am helping to do my part to get another stinking car off the road for our planet and grandkids.
Completely agree! My new E-Bike makes me feel the same as my Tesla. For those who haven't driven in a Tesla, you should take a test drive its a all new driving experience. It makes you smile while passing rising gas station prices. Acceleration when you need it instantly, makes you smile. Then knowing that your'e not polluting on your way to work, makes you smile. E-Everything makes you smile!

Elon Musk........soon to be known as the GREATEST con man EVER.
You’ll see.....

Say what you will, I can't say enough good things about my Tesla. Once more people experience EV Cars, everyone will say the same, No more maintenance, oil changes, tune ups & instant acceleration.
Same story with EV Bikes There are those purist who say its just a scooter, blah. While we owners are over joyed that we can still get out and ride with pedal assist to get us over those hill until we get into better shape. Its a game changer that will lead to more Positive. Bike Oriented Legislation. Same analogy with Tesla, Elon made it happen whereby his cars have the range and stability that the Chevy Volt could not attain. Plus the style and looks that the Prius can't match. As a result every MFG is in the EV Vehicle Race. But as for me I support anything to get us off Oil and the attachments that go with it after living with the result of Iraq.

I'd be interested to know how many are just upgrading as well. One other thing about luxury buyers is they often have the means and desire to always keep the newest model. High-end cars tend to have a rapid depreciation compared to most others, as the target market doesn't want used, and the bulk of the interested used market lives a measurable step down the economic ladder (else they'd be buying new).
That's why i like picking up used Lexus cars, they are some of the best autos available.

My friend Fritz has had good luck selling Sondors bikes at close to what he paid. He has had several. Now he is selling his new Black Ultra and will get more than he paid because it is a new model, the price has gone up and the buyer will not need to wait for delivery and they can see it and test it. After doing group rides with various bikes and trying light weight bikes, that is the direction he will be headed.

Attachments

• Sondors21LS04.JPG
    Sondors21LS04.JPG
    260.6 KB · Views: 157
  • Sondors21LS05.JPG
    Sondors21LS05.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 149
The RV industry has been on fire for the last 15 months of so. Dealer inventories are at all time lows and manufacturers cannot meet the demand. Like bicycles, the supply chain for RV builders is struggling with major shortages in air conditioners and furniture. Class A diesel motorhomes are selling quicker than they can hit the lots. Many dealers that normally kept dozens of Class A diesels in inventory have no new or used units on the lot. This also means the market for used motorhomes is doing extremely well. If you have a nice Tiffin, Newmar, Entegra, etc in good condition, you can get top dollar for it and usually sell very quickly. We bought a new 2018 Tiffin back in March of 2018 and I could EASILY sell it today for 90% of what I paid for it.

On the other hand, I recently sold 3 bicycles. Two were Carbon Fiber Specialized Roubaix and one was a nice Trek Aluminum Hybrid. All 3 bikes were in excellent condition, but they were all 8-12 years old. Even with the shortage of new bikes and their crazy prices, I had difficulty getting a decent price for any of them. I eventually sold them for about 25% - 30% of their original MSRP and it still took a while to sell them.
We put our deposit down on a 2022 LTV Unity RL in January and were only promised a Spring 2022 delivery date - noting more specific than just Spring 2022!

Norm

I'm aware there are much better bikes available, but getting rid of a RAD product should be no problem. That's one of the better reasons for buying one.

We had a 38' Holiday Rambler for a few years. It was a well equipped diesel pusher (mobile dlx. condo). While we had it we had to have the turbo replaced ($$$), the batteries, and 2 sets of tires ($$$), but that was about it. Other than the tires and the turbo, it cost us less than 10k for the 8 years or so we had it. The trick is to avoid the first 3-4 years of depreciation. That, and take really good care of it....
I agree about the Rad bikes. I have seen a couple of Rad Rovers for sale here in southern Ontario and they are asking almost full retail price.

There is also the 'gateway drug' effect. Someone buys a cheep electric guitar and then learns to appreciate the really good ones so they upgrade. If I had a ton of money why would I buy a two-year old high-tech bike or phone from someone else?

Debbie's husband is having a milestone birthday. He was an avid rider but now has knee problems. The grandkids, his wife and children want to ride with him but he has been out of the game, benched. So I just made his mid-1980's bike electric today. It is about the experience. This is a chromoly frame. Super comfy.
Any messy connectors or wires?
This bike looks awesome. 👍
The main reason I haven't gone DIY is all the ugly, rat's nest of wires that I usually see on a DIY ebike.

Same question can be applied to recumbent trikes like mine. They do not return a lot for the investment. However I improved my health and spent time outside.
My new ebike will hopefully do the same. Cost a ton of money to buy a quality brand but pays back in many ways.
I plan to keep them both.

I agree about the annoying "rats nest" of wires on the two DIY hub motor bikes I've done but the TSDZ2 has only two wire cables that have to be used. One is to the battery, the other is to the controller/display. There is another wire that runs to the spoke magnet pickup but that doesn't need to be used, Pedaluma doesn't.

But folks that buy a Movelo mountain bike from Walmart for $89 don't think about resale value.

When someone convinces themselves "I'll buy this Ford because it has great resale value" is merely making the dealership happy.
I dunno with the used car market the way it is now! I was curious the other week to see what my Ford Ranger (purchased new Dec 2019) would potentially fetch - Carvana's offer for it is a little over 10% MORE than I paid for it! 🤣

I dunno with the used car market the way it is now! I was curious the other week to see what my Ford Ranger (purchased new Dec 2019) would potentially fetch - Carvana's offer for it is a little over 10% MORE than I paid for it! 🤣
Chip shortages crippling new car production, so for a new car you now pay full price or more. Guess what that does to used car prices? :)

Your post made me curious. I purchased a 2020 Ford F150 in June of 2020. I would not even set foot in the dealership until we agreed upon a price. This was a purchase without a trade. I told the salesman I had to be OTD (Out the Door) for under $40,000. It took about half the day, but we finally agreed on $39,999.99 OTD which included about $1,800 in VA state sales tax and $699 Dealer Processing Fee (aka Doc Fees). That put the actual purchase price of the truck at a little over $37,000.

I just ran my truck on Carvana and they offered me $39,931 for it.

Back