Requesting assistance...which bike?

Colleen

Hoping to get some feedback on bike purchase. First ebike was 2014, I purchased a Stromer ST1, at that time not even sure how I would be using it.
It had become my main mode of transportation, as well as 30-50 mile rides, hills I would not have attempted on a regular bike. I have never owned a road bike, prior to my ebike, I had a hybrid bike. My husband decided I needed a bike with integrated lights and gps, and purchased a stromer ST3 for me. Thoughtful of him, but ST3 is 65 lbs, less agile, though it is a class 3. This bike also has a suspension system, so ride is super smooth, with Pirelli tires. I have unfortunately had nothing but issues with bike since purchase. So hi tech, something constantly going wrong. Researching Specialized ebikes, finding them highly rated. Any suggestions on which bike I should get? I now use bike mostly for exercise, long trips, hills, but also need a rack, as I also use it for most grocery runs, errands, etc. I ride on paved surfaces, with occasional sand covering paved surface. I live in Los Angeles County and frequently use north/south bike path to get to other cities, and path gets frequent sand cover from wind. Thanks for your input!

Welcome to EBR, Colleen. I ride a Como as a recreational rider and love it. So do many on here, but the Vado riders are just more vocal. wink

Thanks for input, so many options….
Colleen, could you elaborate on your needs more? Are you a fit person? Would you like a lightweight e-bike? Do you like riding fast? What about your need for comfort? Hills around? Urban rides? Trips on gravel or even off-road? Etc etc.

It is easy for people to forget the size and diversity in all regards of Los Angeles. It is four times larger than the state of Rhode Island and has ten-times the population. It has places that can be at the same hour 68 and 104 degrees with snow in the mountains. Besides the commutes and flat paths how you will ride is important. Try a Como first. You will love it. The pedals can be swapped if you want more grip or kept if you will be using sandals or fancy shoes.

Hoping to get some feedback on bike purchase. First ebike was 2014, I purchased a Stromer ST1, at that time not even sure how I would be using it.
It had become my main mode of transportation, as well as 30-50 mile rides, hills I would not have attempted on a regular bike. I have never owned a road bike, prior to my ebike, I had a hybrid bike. My husband decided I needed a bike with integrated lights and gps, and purchased a stromer ST3 for me. Thoughtful of him, but ST3 is 65 lbs, less agile, though it is a class 3. This bike also has a suspension system, so ride is super smooth, with Pirelli tires. I have unfortunately had nothing but issues with bike since purchase. So hi tech, something constantly going wrong. Researching Specialized ebikes, finding them highly rated. Any suggestions on which bike I should get? I now use bike mostly for exercise, long trips, hills, but also need a rack, as I also use it for most grocery runs, errands, etc. I ride on paved surfaces, with occasional sand covering paved surface. I live in Los Angeles County and frequently use north/south bike path to get to other cities, and path gets frequent sand cover from wind. Thanks for your input!
As well as all the flavors of Comos and Vados, Specialized sells Creos and Levos, too, Paved or gravel, hills or flats, an various price points. Lots of options probably means you can find something you'll love. Happy Hunting to you.

Hi
Thanks for your questions. I am pretty fit, but do not want to ride a bike without power as I would have difficulty with hills, want the exercise with enjoyment, not just pure work, and prefer the higher speed with ebikes. I had been told in the past ebikes needed weight to offset battery. Riding on paved roads only, with the occasional sand on these roads as I mentioned. Prefer to cruise around 25 mph on flat. Loved my initial ST1, ST3 incredibly fast and comfortable when it worked properly.
But 65 lbs has been limiting for me. Less agile, but I also liked the sturdiness at high speeds. I think I need to try Vado, need to find a retailer that has a demo. Wish I could house a stable of bikes so I could choose as needed!

Well if you can find a store with both a Vado and a Como to ride, that would be great. Be aware that these are very different bikes from what you had and bring an open mind. In my case my mind didn't decide, my back did. As soon as a sat on a Vado, my back informed me that it wasn't interested in hunching over a Vado. Comfort vs Performance.

Hi
Thanks for your questions. I am pretty fit, but do not want to ride a bike without power as I would have difficulty with hills, want the exercise with enjoyment, not just pure work, and prefer the higher speed with ebikes. I had been told in the past ebikes needed weight to offset battery. Riding on paved roads only, with the occasional sand on these roads as I mentioned. Prefer to cruise around 25 mph on flat. Loved my initial ST1, ST3 incredibly fast and comfortable when it worked properly.
But 65 lbs has been limiting for me. Less agile, but I also liked the sturdiness at high speeds. I think I need to try Vado, need to find a retailer that has a demo. Wish I could house a stable of bikes so I could choose as needed!

If you want to cruise around at 25mph I don't recommend the SL model. I think you want the '4-times you' models.

My wife rides a 2021 Como 4.0 step thru and easily gets 50 miles with 45% battery remaining. She weighs around 145 ilbs. It is a class 3 bike and weighs 50 lbs with an added Topeak rear rack.

I think the standard weight of a Vado size M would be more close to 53 lbs. It is a decidedly fast e-bike, and the possibility of tuning assistance levels (available for any Specialized e-bike) allows reducing motor power for better workout.

You can go to Specialized Santa Monica on Santa Monica Boulevard x 23rd Street and demo stuff. Easy to get to from the path - get off the beach path along the pier and follow Colorado/Expo Line until you get to 23rd.

If you want to cruise around at 25mph I don't recommend the SL model. I think you want the '4-times you' models.
My interpretation of her posts so far is compelety the opposite. She already has a "4 times you" rocket, already the second one, and knows their advantages and disadvantages but is looking for something lighter with less tank feeling.
I owned several "normal" ebikes with Bosch motors and still have a Stromer ST1x and a Creo SL (the brother of the Vado SL just with race handle bars). The difference in weight and handling from a Stromer to a normal ebike with Bosch or like Como/Vado is not that big. And as you said, the heavy Stromers give a very stable/more stable feeling at top speed. And the support/the fun is less with a normal ebike drive. At the end I think you will miss the power of your Stromer and not feel enough difference in weight/handling/agility with a normal Como/Vado and riding without motor will still be no fun. At least that are my feelings since I have a Stromer.

With a Specialized SL drive it's different. The power is even less than with a normal ebike and you will definitely notice it compared to a Stromer and you will be slower. But weight/handling/agility and also riding without motor is fantastic! If it's flat you can ride without motor for miles or even hours and will almost not notice it if you don't look on the speedometer.
It's not automatically better for all use cases. I still like my Stromer if I need to go as fast as possible to a place. Ride to the office every day or some errands (is this the right word?) within 10-30miles with little time. But the SL bike feels and rides like a bike and if I'm not in a hurry and don't need the high speeds of the Stromer or offroad it's much more fun. I use my SL bike not only but often in my free time to ride anywhere, the Stromer only to got to work or for errands.

And I think the best Specialized for you is by far a Vado SL EQ. It has also a similar riding position than your Stromer bikes. I don't know the Como myself, but the Como SL has a really upright position for people who are less used to a normal/slightly sportive position. I doubt that you would like it if the Stromer position is fine for you.
One disadvantage will be, that the Vado SL even with Futureshock will offer less comfort than your ST3 with suspension, but try it! My wife still has to get used to the harder rides on her new Vado (but is making progress...) as her old low Flyer frame with just one tube was terrible soft.

My interpretation of her posts so far is compelety the opposite. She already has a "4 times you" rocket, already the second one, and knows their advantages and disadvantages but is looking for something lighter with less tank feeling.
I owned several "normal" ebikes with Bosch motors and still have a Stromer ST1x and a Creo SL (the brother of the Vado SL just with race handle bars). The difference in weight and handling from a Stromer to a normal ebike with Bosch or like Como/Vado is not that big. And as you said, the heavy Stromers give a very stable/more stable feeling at top speed. And the support/the fun is less with a normal ebike drive. At the end I think you will miss the power of your Stromer and not feel enough difference in weight/handling/agility with a normal Como/Vado and riding without motor will still be no fun. At least that are my feelings since I have a Stromer.

With a Specialized SL drive it's different. The power is even less than with a normal ebike and you will definitely notice it compared to a Stromer and you will be slower. But weight/handling/agility and also riding without motor is fantastic! If it's flat you can ride without motor for miles or even hours and will almost not notice it if you don't look on the speedometer.
It's not automatically better for all use cases. I still like my Stromer if I need to go as fast as possible to a place. Ride to the office every day or some errands (is this the right word?) within 10-30miles with little time. But the SL bike feels and rides like a bike and if I'm not in a hurry and don't need the high speeds of the Stromer or offroad it's much more fun. I use my SL bike not only but often in my free time to ride anywhere, the Stromer only to got to work or for errands.

And I think the best Specialized for you is by far a Vado SL EQ. It has also a similar riding position than your Stromer bikes. I don't know the Como myself, but the Como SL has a really upright position for people who are less used to a normal/slightly sportive position. I doubt that you would like it if the Stromer position is fine for you.
One disadvantage will be, that the Vado SL even with Futureshock will offer less comfort than your ST3 with suspension, but try it.
Jodi, your thoughts are very interesting!
I'm, however, afraid the OP just loves riding fast and an SL wouldn't give that to her. Yes, the impression of riding a lightweight e-bike is priceless but the speed might be disappointing.

I think the OP needs something more lightweight that the ST1 and far more modern. That would be Vado 5.0. Of course the best would be if Colleen could demo ride all these different e-bikes.

I want to tell you full power Vado 5.0 decidedly doesn't feel like a tank. It feels like a Ferrari :) The point is the Vado motor is far more lightweight than one of Stromer and is located centrally and low. Quite different e-bike.

One disadvantage will be, that the Vado SL even with Futureshock will offer less comfort than your ST3 with suspension, but try it! My wife still has to get used to the harder rides on her new Vado (but is making progress...) as her old low Flyer frame with just one tube was terrible soft.
Can you cruise around on your SL at 25mph? That was the poster's request. I stand by my remarks that SL is not the model for a person to maintain that average speed.

Great comments Jodi. It’s good to get feedback from someone who owns different ebikes.

If you and your wife haven’t done so, I strongly recommend adding a suspension seat post to her Vado. I have Cirrus Kinect on both ebikes. Made a huge difference in ride quality especially on some of the poorly repaired and cracked roads in my area. Of course other brands available, Thudbuster, Suntour, etc, depending on your budget.

For a fraction of the initial cost and far lower life-cycle costs with much better performance, for your stated needs, I would purchase a 2022 Roll 3.0, adding a small mid-drive torque sensor motor and a battery that locks to the frame which looks like a standard water bottle. This way you will have a far better bike and retain the Right To Repair. This bike is ideal. The routing of the rear hose will take some care but that is fully achievable while retaining all through frame routing, with no zip ties, no visible connectors for a clean build. The Roll will not look electric as is blows past and outlasts bikes with proprietary dealer systems. For the step-thru version put the battery low for handling and balance on the seat tube above the pedals. These bike are comfortable and fun. Firmware is opensource and replacement parts are inexpensive and readily available. I am off for a big ride on my Specialized in the Coastal Wine Country hills.
1626966336370.png
1626966458872.png

Back