Replacing my SUV with an E-Bike

Hatch Matherson

I really enjoyed reading all your posts while I have been searching. I'm stuck right now, feeling overwhelmed by the plethora of options out there. I'm looking for my first e-bike and I'm based in Toronto. However, they say a confused potential buyer doesn't buy. Could you give me any tips? I will be using this bike to ride my 5 year-old to swimming and gymnastics and piano, all within 1.5-2km of my house. As well as to the gym and to work. Both around 3km away. I have the rad wagon in mind, though the shipping fee is $400 and the service seems absent in the Toronto area. I would like to have a rad wagon type of bike for my daughter to hop on, but we do have a bike trailer that she can also go in. And with the $400 shipping fee that Rad Power charges I could buy a Weehaa trailer and she can get some pedalling action happening. I'm 6'1", weigh 220 and my budget is $2500 US. I would love to get your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

A cargo bike like the rad wagon doors make the most sense for your described usage. I honestly don't think you'll find a better price on one, the only other option would probably to go diy.

Biktrix is a Canada based company that sells kits, looks like you could get a bbshd with battery for about half your budget and buy a cargo bike to sit with the other half.

If you don't want to be bothered by tinkering and spending time adjusting here and there then get the factory ebike. Rad wagon seems to be your best bet.

After reviewing a multitude of bikes, I totally agree with you. I will go with the Rad Wagon. Thanks @pxpaulx
I applaud you for replacing your SUV with an ebike! I especially like that you will be taking your daughter to all her activities in it, rather than idling the SUV waiting in line with all the other lemmings... Plus, your child will have great memories of it. Good for you!

Thanks @Alphbetadog for the acknowledgement, it took a while to build up the courage and mindset to get rid of it. Would love for the next gen to see bikes as a serious form of daily transportation, like other parts of the world. Also, she never asks for a tablet nor my smartphone when she's outside in her bike trailer. Being outside of steel and glass is the opposite of boring I guess.

Thanks @Mark Peralta for your input. I think I might keep it simple for my first e-bike and get factory instead of DIY.
You can put a foam padding to the back seat. Heck, you can even put a pillow on it. You can also put a cheap but comfortable upright sprung seat. The springs can provide almost an inch of isolation travel.
http://www.cloud9seats.com/extra-deep-relief-zone-12x12.htm
Of course, there is also a suspension post (but more pricey).
I used both.

Only problem I see with the RadWagon is it only comes in a 17" frame. May be rather small for someone 6'1". I'm 5'11" and ride a 20" frame most comfortably. If you already have a bike that fits nice, check the measurements compared to the Rad Wagon.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

If you already have a bike trailer, that might be preferable to a cargo bike, in my opinion. Kids like to shift a lot in their seats and can become difficult to compensate for as they get older. This is why I grocery shop with a trailer instead of panniers since balance is easily affected by distribution of weight. A cargo bike, while great for cargo may not be as convenient as a regular bike for non-cargo usage. One item of care when looking at bikes is how your trailer attaches. I had to order a special thru-axle with a hitch mount for mine. If you get a hub motor, pay attention to how it is wired and whether or not any wiring, etc may get in the way.

I really enjoyed reading all your posts while I have been searching. I'm stuck right now, feeling overwhelmed by the plethora of options out there. I'm looking for my first e-bike and I'm based in Toronto. However, they say a confused potential buyer doesn't buy. Could you give me any tips? I will be using this bike to ride my 5 year-old to swimming and gymnastics and piano, all within 1.5-2km of my house. As well as to the gym and to work. Both around 3km away. I have the rad wagon in mind, though the shipping fee is $400 and the service seems absent in the Toronto area. I would like to have a rad wagon type of bike for my daughter to hop on, but we do have a bike trailer that she can also go in. And with the $400 shipping fee that Rad Power charges I could buy a Weehaa trailer and she can get some pedalling action happening. I'm 6'1", weigh 220 and my budget is $2500 US. I would love to get your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Hi there,
did you get your bike already? I thought I would add my input here since my use case is similar. I got a radwagon to haul around my 2 and 4 year olds to activities and to commute to work once in a while. The frame works great for this purpose and the kids love riding in the bike and looking at the world around them from the relatively high vantage point; definitively an advantage over trailers IMO. Someone mentioned an issue of stability. I have not found this to be a problem, even with 2 wiggly toddlers in the back who sometimes have fights while riding (I am 5'6'', so not that big). The bike is really stable and handles predictably. I carry them using the caboose "cage" and some cushions on the rack and this works well for us. In terms of using an online-only company, my experience was good. My bike arrived with a bent fork that made it impossible to get a good adjustment of the front brake. They sent me a replacement fork without issue when I described the problem. The only thing to be aware of is that with a direct drive motor, there is some drag even when the motor is not engaged and the bike is not a great hill climber (meaning anything more than 15% is going to be a problem).

Enjoy!

Back