Replacing entire Turbo front brake system

jwb

I think the brakes are the weak link in the Turbo model. They are really terrible. My original disc was worn below the 1.65mm limit in less than 2000km. I tried replacing the disc with an Avid g2, which didn't end well. On the first stop the disc was noticeably warped. Like an idiot, I reached down to see how hot it was, and seriously burned my fingertips. So I can confirm that Avid g2 180mm rotors are also garbage.

I just ordered a full-on Shimano front brake rig: centerlock hub, 203mm ice-tech disc, saint ice-tech caliper. I will let y'all know if this makes me less grumpy.

I think the brakes are the weak link in the Turbo model. They are really terrible. My original disc was worn below the 1.65mm limit in less than 2000km. I tried replacing the disc with an Avid g2, which didn't end well. On the first stop the disc was noticeably warped. Like an idiot, I reached down to see how hot it was, and seriously burned my fingertips. So I can confirm that Avid g2 180mm rotors are also garbage.

I just ordered a full-on Shimano front brake rig: centerlock hub, 203mm ice-tech disc, saint ice-tech caliper. I will let y'all know if this makes me less grumpy.
A few of us have discovered that the brakes are less garbage if you use different pads. I've done over 4000kms with a set of KoolStop pads. They are powerful and quiet.
I don't think you will be sorry with your upgrade though, I too have considered it on a number of occasions.

My original Turbo brakes were pretty bad. For me, the rear brake was the worst of the two. I didn't need the bike bell because my brakes would announce my approach. After they failed (both brakes went dead at nearly the same time), my LBS got them replaced under warranty. The new brakes are actually really good. Maybe because an experienced mechanic took the time and care to set them up well vs someone at the manufacturing plant just throwing them on in an assembly line. No more loud squeaking. Of course the fact both brakes failed within 6 months doesn't speak very well for them. Until my warranty expires, I'll stick with them. But if they fail again, they're gone for good.

A few of us have discovered that the brakes are less garbage if you use different pads. I've done over 4000kms with a set of KoolStop pads. They are powerful and quiet.
I don't think you will be sorry with your upgrade though, I too have considered it on a number of occasions.

I have about 2000Km (1350 mi) on my KoolStop pads. I was going to replace but they still have significant pad left. Every once in a while I clean the rear disc and the organic pads with some solvent and it quiets down. The rear gets the most dirt and starts to squeak a bit after about 100 mi but not bad. The bike really stops well. My biggest concern is not stopping power, but TOO MUCH stopping power. I want to be very careful when braking on corners, particularly at this time of year when there is still a lot of sand left over from winter de-icing and water from snow-melt..

I agree, I'm not looking for more stopping power. Most of my daily ride is on dirt, so I wouldn't need it. But my brakes get so overheated coming down the hill from my house that they start rubbing on bits of the caliper, and throbbing like they are warped (and they are). So I want something where normal amounts of braking are well within the thermal design envelope of the whole system.

When you think about it I am much more likely to be going 30MPH on my e-bike than I am on my other bikes, so it makes sense that the brakes are thermally challenged. Yes I also have disc brakes on my xtracycle, and yes I normally carry two little passengers on that rig, but I don't think I ever get it up above maybe 12-15MPH. mv^2 and all that.

I agree, I'm not looking for more stopping power. Most of my daily ride is on dirt, so I wouldn't need it. But my brakes get so overheated coming down the hill from my house that they start rubbing on bits of the caliper, and throbbing like they are warped (and they are). So I want something where normal amounts of braking are well within the thermal design envelope of the whole system.

When you think about it I am much more likely to be going 30MPH on my e-bike than I am on my other bikes, so it makes sense that the brakes are thermally challenged. Yes I also have disc brakes on my xtracycle, and yes I normally carry two little passengers on that rig, but I don't think I ever get it up above maybe 12-15MPH. mv^2 and all that.

If you aren't already doing it, you might want to try switching to "Regen" mode on the long hill down from your house. It will significantly reduce the amount of braking pressure you need AND it put a little bit of juice in the battery to boot! I use Regen all the time on long steep downhills, kinda like gearing down and using "engine braking".

I do the same as the other guys: just keep the disks as clean as possible (I keep a towell in my backpack) and use the regen when going steeply downhill. This works. But I agree with you that is annoying that the breaks have to be maintained so often to avoid this. When the road is wet, the noise is tremendous. Is impossible to solve it on the road. The good thing is that you don't need the bell anymore.

If you're cooking your rotors in a single hill, you're seriously under braked for whatever reason, lots of weight, very steep hill, whatever. You should fare better with your new DH setup.

Back