Replacement tire

BobM

What tires are people replacing their OEM fat tires on their Rovers? Key word is Rovers, not city, wagon or mini. I'm referring to the crappy 26x4" Kenda Juggernauts that are so paper thin they easily get flats. I'm well aware of the tuffy liners and slime work arounds. I'm try to start a thread of success stories. I'm also aware of peoples affection for origin8 supercells but they are not available anywhere.

You'll probably want to look at Surley Larry tires or Surley Knard with a 27tpi casing and wire bead. Failing that, look at Vee tire Speedsters or Chicane in 72tpi.

I switched to Vee8 120tpi tires after my rear kenda wore out under 1000 miles. I'm about +1600 miles with the Vee8 and they only look about 1/4 worn on the rear. I don't think they make this tire anymore. I was able to grab the last two pair I could find on the internet on eBay last year to save for later. They are a good commuter and trail tire that isn't as noisy or flat prone like the kenda. The Vee8 ride a lot better at +20 PSI and probably not good for icy snow, rock hopping, or wet/muddy trails. They handle loose and deep sand with no problems at +20 PSI.

I'm also looking for a replacement for the Vee8 down the road since I can't find them anymore. I work commute 18-23 mph 3-5 times a week at 50-75 miles per week and fun ride hard packed and single track on the weekends (about +2500 miles per year). The Vee8s were perfect for my kind of riding.

Vee8 Tires.jpg

Last edited:
The Juggernauts on my 2018 RadRover never saw the outside of my house. As soon as I unboxed the bike I installed a set of Origin8 Supercell 30 TPI wire bead tires. I only ride on the street so I wanted something that was quiet with good handling. I've tried to sell the brand new Juggernauts that I removed on Ebay with a starting bid as low as $17 and didn't get a single one. They're taking up space in our utility room so I guess I'll have to consider donating them and take the tax exemption.

The Juggernauts on my 2018 RadRover never saw the outside of my house. As soon as I unboxed the bike I installed a set of Origin8 Supercell 30 TPI wire bead tires. I only ride on the street so I wanted something that was quiet with good handling. I've tried to sell the brand new Juggernauts that I removed on Ebay with a starting bid as low as $17 and didn't get a single one. They're taking up space in our utility room so I guess I'll have to consider donating them and take the tax exemption.
I cant find the supercells anywhere. Do you know if they were discontinued? For$17 I would deal with the constant flats for awhile longer. I assume you aren't near me in socal

I cant find the supercells anywhere. Do you know if they were discontinued? For$17 I would deal with the constant flats for awhile longer. I assume you aren't near me in socal
The only dealer that has them, and it's where I got mine, is BicycleBuys.com. I emailed Origin8 a couple of months back when I was having difficulty finding them and they told me production would resume in September. The Supercell's twin is the Chaoyang Sandstorm, which you can purchase from Moose Bicycle in Canada. Not sure if they're actually the same tire or not, but they look identical and they're both 30 TPI wire bead. Very easy to mount by the way. You won't even need tire levers. Just take your time airing them up and keep checking to make sure it seats evenly all the way around. Recommended PSI is 10-20. I keep mine between 18-20 for the street.

Now, if you need something for a mix of trail and street I would consider the VeeRubber Vee 8 as @mrgold35 recommended or the Specialized Fast Trak Fat. In the article I referenced in my previous post, both tires were well-rated overall but especially for puncture resistance.

Finally, another tire that has been mentioned in EBR is the Vee Tire Speedster, which comes in 26 x 3.5. I've seen this tire mounted on some analog fat tire bikes at my LBS and they looked impressive. Would love to take one out for a spin to see how they roll. Whatever you end up getting, consider adding a tire sealant like Slime, Stan's, etc. Everyone has their personal preference for sealant brand.

Just a friendly suggestion: consider editing the thread title to better identify the topic? E.g. "Tire upgrade for Radrover?"

I emailed Origin8 a couple of months back when I was having difficulty finding them and they told me production would resume in September. The Supercell's twin is the Chaoyang Sandstorm, which you can purchase from Moose Bicycle in Canada. Not sure if they're actually the same tire or not, but they look identical and they're both 30 TPI wire bead.

Origin8 is merely the brand name used by J&B, a major bicycle wholesale distributor. Origin8, Sunlite, Cloud 9 are all J&B brands. They don't make anything; it is all private label goods. I have Origin8 handlebars, which are manufactured by Satori. So it is not surprising that Chaoyang is the supplier of Origin8 Supercell tires. It's like buying Aldi Corned Beef Hash, which is made by Hormel.

The only dealer that has them, and it's where I got mine, is BicycleBuys.com. I emailed Origin8 a couple of months back when I was having difficulty finding them and they told me production would resume in September. The Supercell's twin is the Chaoyang Sandstorm, which you can purchase from Moose Bicycle in Canada. Not sure if they're actually the same tire or not, but they look identical and they're both 30 TPI wire bead. Very easy to mount by the way. You won't even need tire levers. Just take your time airing them up and keep checking to make sure it seats evenly all the way around. Recommended PSI is 10-20. I keep mine between 18-20 for the street.

Now, if you need something for a mix of trail and street I would consider the VeeRubber Vee 8 as @mrgold35 recommended or the Specialized Fast Trak Fat. In the article I referenced in my previous post, both tires were well-rated overall but especially for puncture resistance.

Finally, another tire that has been mentioned in EBR is the Vee Tire Speedster, which comes in 26 x 3.5. I've seen this tire mounted on some analog fat tire bikes at my LBS and they looked impressive. Would love to take one out for a spin to see how they roll. Whatever you end up getting, consider adding a tire sealant like Slime, Stan's, etc. Everyone has their personal preference for sealant brand.
The speedster looks cool but they are currently out of stock, but I will check other sources. Thanks

Another one to look at for road riding that just came out is the Vee Tire Zig Zag. Looks like a good amount of tread between the street and the tube.

Back