Replacement Rim(s) for a Super Commuter +8S

GuruUno

I hit a pothole, the bikeshop is going to "true" the rim that is bent, but in the event I want to replace it, do I use the same or is ther better??
(Super Commuter +8S)

By rim, do you mean having the shop rebuild your wheel with a new rim, or do you mean replacing it with an entire new wheel, i.e. hub, spokes, and rim?

What a nightmare. First thing, Trek shop told me "it's not available", but we can get you a 'close match' wheel.
Sure the RIM is available, but then the spokes and hub would need to be installed, adding cost, so then you have to get to thinking, why not get it all new if there is cost to "build" a new rim with old components...makes absolute sense to me to get everything new.
So, Trek said no got, and I'd have to use a Bontrager or Sun Ringle wheel.
I'm feeling like I have a 1958 Edsel and parts are hard to come by.
Needless to say, I pushed the envelope and John Cannon from Trek found the exact replacement (after a lot of complaining on my part).
Alex Volar Alloy 27.5” 32h (DC32) is the wheel, SKU isW567175.

But taking a lesson from THIS experience, how is it as a buyer of a $5,000 bike from Trek that they cannot get OEM replacement parts? Is this to be expected moving forward? I know it sounds trivial or ridiculous to some but would YOU want to buy MY bike if I had it for sale and after you went over it from top to bottom, saw parts that were out of place, did not match, were not original? To ME it would lower the value as well as make it not to be "the product of choice" given the class of bike.

Like a Tesla, I need a part, oh, use this, it works, not OEM, but it will work.

The mechanic at the Trek store informed me that Trek (the mother ship) had done this once before to him, and he wonders why they would not do THEIR homework to find the correct part.

I was minutes away from contacting Alex (rim manufacturer) to discuss inventory, etc., but again, WHY should I have to do the homework? Is it not the salesperson or the manufacturer to want to keep "brand loyalty" by doing everything in their power to assist a n owner of their product?

Then later in the evening I get an e-mail from a web based inquiry earlier in the day from another Trek employee (the mothership):
-----------------
Thank you for writing in! The best rear wheel option in stock at this time to replace the wheel on your Super Commuter+ 8s will be:

Full wheel:
Bontrager Line Comp 30 TLR 27.5" non-boost
P/N: 563488
MSRP: $174.99USD

* since this a thru axle wheel as it is sold you will also need Quick Release End-caps
P/N: W562022
MSRP: $13.99USD
P/N: W527033
MSRP: $19.99USD

If you are looking for a rim-only, we stock the following rim as a recommended replacement

Rim only:
Bontrager TLR 27.5in Disc 32h Presta rim
P/N: W544119
MSRP: $49.99USD

As service part you will want to purchase these items through your local Trek retailer! If you need help finding a list of retailers near you just follow the link below!
---------------
Welcome to the new way of doing business, where one hand has no clue as to what the other one is doing.

how is it as a buyer of a $5,000 bike from Trek that they cannot get OEM replacement parts? Is this to be expected moving forward?

Unfortunately, this is rather normal for many if not most manufactured bicycles. Bikes will often be spec'd with parts that are OEM-only and are not even sold as aftermarket replacements.

So then, when you purchase one of the bikes, it's a one of a kind, never to be able to get replacement parts to maintain it in it's original OEM condition?

So then, when you purchase one of the bikes, it's a one of a kind, never to be able to get replacement parts to maintain it in it's original OEM condition?

It has been this way for as long as I have been working on bicycles (40 years). Most especially for components like saddles and grips, but sometimes things like rims or wheels and tires, and accessories like fenders and racks.

On the plus side, there’s nothing proprietary about the wheels on mid-drive e-bikes. So you’re always going to be able about to find a replacement. For a 50lb e-bike you probably want something designed for bombing down hills on a mountain bike versus the lightweight performance variety.

Needless to say, I pushed the envelope and John Cannon from Trek found the exact replacement (after a lot of complaining on my part).
Alex Volar Alloy 27.5” 32h (DC32) is the wheel, SKU isW567175.

Were you able to find a place to buy this online or did you need to order it through your LBS? Thanks!

Back