Replacement Lock Assembly options?

getslideways

Region
USA
Anyplace to source decently priced replacement lock and key assemblies for these bikes (Core-5)?

So far the only place I have found has been: https://flx.bike/products/keys
(any of the options that say "with tunnel")

WeChatImage_20200320114337_1800x1800.jpg

at $55 bucks an assembly it seems a little steep for what isnt really a great or all that secure lock to begin with. If its the only option then sure, but figured I would ask the greater minds if there was anything else that was compatible, even if its just the inner barrel. I am in need of 2 replacement barrels (and likely keys as its probobly easier to just get a new pair than have a barrel modified to fit my existing keys). The bikes were left locked up outside overnight and a failed theft attempt destroyed both locks. I was able to get both locks to release the battery and then remove and disassemble the "lock tunnel assembly". The "tunnel" themselves are perfectly fine, just need the barrel and key assembly. The tunnel is stamped "REENTION PLA0325" but my searches with that have all been without reward. Looks like the barrel is just held in by a single screw. I took a few pics of what was left in case that helps anyone recognize the part or something compatible

IMG-5486.jpg

IMG-5488.jpg

IMG-5487.jpg

The bikes are usually never left out of sight, but absentmindedness struck and so did the trouble makers. I really appreciate the community taking a look at this and sharing their thoughts.

Figured I would ask here first before shelling out $110 for two new complete tunnel assemblies.

I get mine on eBay, just keeping the core.
Thank you so much for replying!

Do you have a link or example showing the ones that you have come across that have worked in your experience?

I havent been able to find a picture of any of the cores separate from their housings. This one looked like it might be close (obviously the housing is wrong) but the location of the set screw made me think there may be chance the core might slide in place and work in the Ride1Up Core5 "tunnel"/housing

I would be extremely greatful if you get a spare chance to share which style had the proper compatible core.

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
I took a gamble and purchased 2 of these style locks. At $18 for a pair it seemed worth the risk to try (opposed to $110 from the link above). Since the keys themselves looked identical to the factory Reention lock set and the set screw seems similiarly placed i figured it was worth a shot. The housing is wrong but hopefully the barrel can be swapped into the Core5 lock housing. Ill report back either way:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

whomp whomp whomp

No dice. The style I purchased is shorter and doesnt sit far enough down to engage the plunger. I figured, "Not a problem I will just redesign the sleeve to allow the barrel to sit further down, 3d print it out and be on my way (sure it wont be as strong as its metal counterpart but the original wasnt all that great either):

Failed-Attempt.png

Well.... then came failure 2. I didnt realize the engagement pin on the lock barrel to trigger the plunger is offset 90 degrees from the key position on the original, while these other locks have the engagement pin inline with the key. So while the barrel did fit now, and actuated the plunger, the key was only removable in the unlocked position. Due to spacing limitations in the tunnel, there isnt enough room to "clock the new barrel placement 90 degrees" as a means of compensation via a design change.

Oh well, i took a gamble, and this time it didnt pay off. It was a good opportunity to get reaquainted with CAD and 3d printing, so not all was lost. Looks like Im back to buying the expensive tunnel assemblies unless anyone has a better source

Back