Replacement gear for Dapu Mid-drive? / Ariel Rider C-class

dg1cmz

Region
USA
My Dapu mid-drive in an Ariel Rider C-class, supposed to be a 500W motor, broke down after about 1000 miles. I drive street-only continous uphill sections; something I would think a motor should more easily handle. After taking it apart, I found the synthetic gear to be the culprit (see attached) that made the motor snap when it tried to support. The indication during riding was a "tok-tok" kind of sound that made the support push from the motor erratic. I saw on ebay people selling gears for Bafang motors but I wasn't able to find really any spare parts for Dapu let alone a replacement of the gear. I wonder if anyone knows a source or has any suggestions. The motor model number printed on the bottom of the motor is 1909A067. I tried to email Dapu but the email address mentioned on their website bounces.

Attachments

• 20220117_170720.jpg
    20220117_170720.jpg
    411.9 KB · Views: 452
My Dapu mid-drive in an Ariel Rider C-class, supposed to be a 500W motor, broke down after about 1000 miles. I drive street-only continous uphill sections; something I would think a motor should more easily handle. After taking it apart, I found the synthetic gear to be the culprit (see attached) that made the motor snap when it tried to support. The indication during riding was a "tok-tok" kind of sound that made the support push from the motor erratic. I saw on ebay people selling gears for Bafang motors but I wasn't able to find really any spare parts for Dapu let alone a replacement of the gear. I wonder if anyone knows a source or has any suggestions. The motor model number printed on the bottom of the motor is 1909A067. I tried to email Dapu but the email address mentioned on their website bounces.
I’ve got an M class which is likely the same motor . Dreading the day this happens. I did hear that Ariel was building their own in house mid drive with metal gears because this was a common problem with the DAPU motors . I’d suggest contacting Ariel as they might have the part you need

I’ve got an M class which is likely the same motor . Dreading the day this happens. I did hear that Ariel was building their own in house mid drive with metal gears because this was a common problem with the DAPU motors . I’d suggest contacting Ariel as they might have the part you need
Typically plastic and nylon gears fail as a result of stressing them beyond their range. Excessive Heat kills. Improper gear choice and/or lugging takeoffs from a dead stop by throttle. Early failure aren’t all that common on a motor that’s been properly “managed”. But

I did hear
Source? There’s a lot of urban legends, usually blather, regarding synthetic gear failure. IME it’s abuse. Sadly nearly every new version of many motors has an undeveloped parts chain.

unfortunately arm chair Internet forum “mechanics”, anxious to help repeat what they “heard” and it comes off as experience. Sometimes those heard reports aren’t reliable or are repeated misinformation. Not malicious, but the human ego can cloud a picture. iSuffer from time to time, from the same malady. Cept I’m often not very nice. Still working off 7 years of polite support. Great fun to feel enabled to call a spade a spade.

Last edited:
Typically plastic and nylon gears fail as a result of stressing them beyond their range. Excessive Heat kills. Improper gear choice and/or lugging takeoffs from a dead stop by throttle. Early failure aren’t all that common on a motor that’s been properly “managed”. But
Source? There’s a lot of urban legends, usually blather, regarding synthetic gear failure. IME it’s abuse. Sadly nearly every new version of many motors has an undeveloped parts chain.

unfortunately arm chair Internet forum “mechanics”, anxious to help repeat what they “heard” and it comes off as experience. Sometimes those heard reports aren’t reliable or are repeated misinformation. Not malicious, but the human ego can cloud a picture. iSuffer from time to time, from the same malady. Cept I’m often not very nice. Still working off 7 years of polite support. Great fun to feel enabled to call a spade a spade.

So is there supposed to be ANYTHING of value within these 2 notes? If so, I'm missing it. At least @Timpo is trying to help/offering ideas.

"Great fun to feel enabled to call a spade a spade"
I hope you're enjoying yourself....

"Cept I’m often not very nice."
Clearly.....

most gears are standard but without the 3 screw holes or the correct bore. Take it to a gear supplier to see if you can get a match up and then go to a machine shop and have them copy the bore and 3 mounting bolts. my c class just started making the tick tick sound. I can not see from the pic what is wrong with the gear. If I have to replace mine I'll put in bronze gear and live with the extra noise.

I have a couple tsdz2 on bikes. They are great DIY conversion kits that, for many bikes, are a simple installation to a person who knows which end of a screwdriver to hold (many on this forum apparently don't). I'm sort of perplexed when I read of people take weeks to months to install the kit (or buy one to never use it). I have the plastic gears in both of mine without any problems. I took one of the motors apart to convert to coaster brake capable, the plastic gear in that motor still looked new after ~1000 miles of riding very hilly terrain. Replacements are inexpensive and easy to install, if necessary, so I wouldn't bother with the metal gear myself. For comparison I also have a Yamaha powered mid drive gravel bike, it is excellent, similar to the Tongsheng but if I ever need parts for that bike I will be out of luck.

One additional thing. Your motor is available both with plastic and metal gears. Must be a reason they offer metal....

Contact Eunorau, Daymak, Evelo or Pedego?

As far as I can see, they sell ebikes with exact same motor, they better have spare parts..

My C class supposedly has a Tongsheng motor. No problems so far.

Must be a reason they offer metal....
Paranoia, and after market pitch. 3500 miles and replaced the plastic gear on a bike that climbs a steep bridge grade across the Mississippi River On every ride and back.

Metal gears are screamers. Very loud!!

Last edited:
Went to look for parts for the old guy I gave an eBike to and discovered Walmart online has a bunch of parts for multiple eBike motors and really good prices.

Back