Replacement Batteries for 2013-2016 Turbo (non-Levo/Vado)

Douglas Ruby

Region
USA
City
Groton
There has been a lot of discussion recently about replacement batteries and availability for the Specialized Turbo. I wanted to start this thread as an informational post targeted at the "facts" of what batteries are available, compatible, and what upgrades and/or replacements are possible. PLEASE do not turn this thread into a complaint forum for Specialized policies. Please do comment about your experiences in replacing batteries with new or used batteries, finding compatible solutions, or availability of sources.

Details: Specialized has used a variety of batteries numbered from SBC-B01 to at least SBC-B05. As far as I know, any of these batteries can be used in any model Turbo. (If this is not true, please let me know)

Here are the various form-compatible Turbo battery specs:

2013 Turbo - 342Wh/9.5Ah - SBC-B01 (later upgraded to 396 Wh)
2015 Turbo - 468Wh/13Ah - SBC-B02
2015 Turbo X- 468Wh/13Ah - SBC-B02
2014/2015 Turbo S - 504Wh/14Ah - SBC-B03
2016 Turbo FLR - 396Wh/11Ah - SBC-B01
2016 Turbo - 468Wh/13Ah - SBC-B02
2016 Turbo X- 562Wh/15.6Ah- SBC-B04 - bluetooth
2016 Turbo S - 691Wh/19.2Ah - SBC-B05 - bluetooth

It appears that the 504Wh 2014/15 Turbo S battery at $687.65 (US) is now the mail order replacement battery for the base Turbo and any older model (base, X, or S). The Turbo SC battery at $999 is the intended mail order replacement for the 2016 Turbo X and Turbo S, but it is currently backordered.

Swapping Batteries: The proprietary batteries used in the Turbo family are of very high quality, but have a unique architecture which makes swapping batteries, even of the same type, a bit problematic. As would be expected, battery management information such as State of Charge (%), Charge Cycles, Voltage, State of Health, Temperature, Duration Not Charged, and Date Of Last Max Charge are inside the battery. Unlike many other e-bikes, the motor control and bicycle configuration functions of the bike (Top Assist Speed, Acceleration level, default ECO level, default Regen level, Wheel Circumference. and Odometer) are also embedded inside of the battery rather than in the bicycle or motor.

This means that when you first use a new battery on your Turbo, you MUST insure that the dealer diagnostics are used to set (at minimum) the following motor control parameters: Bike Speed (in km/h), wheel diameter (in mm), and odometer setting (in km). Other "tuning" parameters can be set including Acceleration%, ECO%, and Regen%. On the bluetooth batteries, the last 3 parameters plus wheel diameter can be set using Mission Control. With the non-bluetooth batteries, the dealer diagnostics must be used to set ALL parameters.

If you intend to cycle multiple batteries to extend your ride range, they must all be configured the same. Also, be aware that your odometer will never be accurate since each battery only "sees" the mileage accumulated while it is in use (which may be a good thing).

Caveats: I am not entirely sure how the Top Speed limits are enforced in various countries. In the US, all Turbo's are certified as Speed Pedelecs for a 45Km/h (28 mph) max speed. In many countries, e-bicycles are limited to 25 Km/h (16 mph) unless certified and licensed as a Speed Pedelec. The default for all of the batteries as shipped from Specialized tends to be 25 km/h unless upgraded by the dealer diagnostic (I am pretty sure). While local laws prohibit upgrading to 45 Km/h for unlicensed bicycles (or bikes not certified as Speed Pedelecs), I am not sure what would keep someone from breaking through the limit if they had access to the diagnostic.

Last edited:
Just to provide some additional detail to the above discussion, I found some pictures of the internals of a dismantled SBC-B01 manufactured in 2012. This battery is presumably one of the early 342Wh ones.

View from the bottom of the battery with the aluminum case pulled back. Note the 18650 cells in plastic sleeves to the left (lower) part of the battery. The electronics for battery and motor control are at the top nose of the battery near the power button. Note the temperature and charge balance wires running down the sides of the cells.
Turbo-bat-1.JPG

These are the circuit boards that control the battery and bicycle. I am presuming that circuit board to the left is battery management and the one to the right is motor control.
Turbo-bat-2.jpg

In this picture, you see more of the electronics as viewed from the top of the battery.
Turbo-bat-3.JPG

Last edited:
The model year stuff is kinda confusing because who knows what model year their bike is? Mine was made in July 2014, I bought it in late 2016, and it has the B02 battery (also manufactured in 2014).

It might be nice to have start and end production dates instead of model years.

Jwb...I wish I could tie this to build date but I just dont have that information. My attempt to identify this to model year required hours of searching reviews and announcements back through late 2012..

By the way, looks like there is local stock of turbo batteries again! A few of the shops near me have both the 691 and 504 Wh batteries in stock! The 691 can't be ordered online yet but doesn't appear back ordered anymore.

Data point: I brought my non-responsive battery to my LBS last Thursday (June 15). They gave me a loaner they took off a demo base Turbo, and gave me a call on Monday (June 19) to say that they had received a battery from Specialized. Turns out that the new battery is 504Wh, and that Specialized would be getting a "better" battery to me later. I took this to be a 691Wh to replace the 691Wh that failed--though now I'm wondering if I actually had the 562Wh, per Douglas's table. Looking like whatever's coming is on some kind of backorder.

Have you guys heard of anyone doing a 'hack' via the diagnostic to make these quicker than 28mph?
I don't think that's possible, at least not with the Specialized software (with other methods, who knows). I saw many versions of the Diagnostic tool software, and none of them had the option to select beyond 28mph(45km/h). In some versions I saw more speed limits, but always between the standard up to 28mph.

I don't think that's possible, at least not with the Specialized software (with other methods, who knows). I saw many versions of the Diagnostic tool software, Just sayin' Specialized can unlimit any of the motors. On the base motor and older S (SBC-M01-2) it is best to leave the limiter as is so that the motor is turned off above 45km/h. It puts up resistance beyond 45 so ironically is faster without power than with downhill. The S motor (M03) doesn't seem to do this (put up a fight beyond 45).

I just hit 1200 miles on my turbo and haven't had any issues yet but I'm wondering how long the battery is expected to last? Related - I saw replacement batteries online for $1k which seems ridiculous, can anyone share where they found more affordable options?

The RRP for the 684W battery is $1k. It's a really big capacity battery compared to other bikes' batteries. Suggest you haggle for a better price.
You can however expect your battery to last quite long. The only thing that happens to LiIon batteries is that they lose capacity - so if you are regularly using 80% of your battery then you might have to replace sooner than someone who only uses 60%.

They are warrantied for two years with up to 300 cycles and the suggested replacement is 700 cycles. I had an issue with 691 Wh battery at about 2000 miles/100 cycles (Bluetooth) but Specialized and the dealer took care of it. I have a total of 8500 miles and I don't know many cycles the original 504 Wh battery (no Bluetooth) has but it still works fine.

Hi, I attach an interesting document regarding the warranty of the bike and battery here in Sweden (is in Swedish, so if you can't read Swedish, don't waste your time). Different warranty rules may apply in different countries. This document has been handed to me by the bike shop where I bought the bike.

Attachments

• SpecializedTurboWarrantyConditions_(sweden).pdf
    406.5 KB · Views: 1,397
I don't read Swedish but it appears to say...

Battery pack: 2.5 years warranty, <500 fully charged bikes or 70% residual capacity from date of purchase of performance. 5 year warranty on all malfunctions related to malfunction and manufacturing (cells, covers, BMS) from the date of purchase. Proper use and regular maintenance as described in the owner's manual are mandatory.

A few months back I bought a "backup" 2nd battery SBC-B02 with 504Wh that does not fit in the list at the beginning of this post. The battery was second hand, had 200 cycles and it was in 100% health, I paid around 300 dollars for it. Works without issues.

photo_2019-03-26_11-44-24.jpg photo_2019-03-26_11-44-25.jpg

Hi...I wrote the original post. The SBC-B02 well might be the 504Wh and the SBC-B03 the 468Wh batteries. I cannot tell for sure since my 2015 base Turbo (which had the 468Wh battery) now has the SBC-B05 (691Wh) battery with bluetooth.

Hi everyone, Im looking for old used battery pack to buy, because after steal attemp my bike battery is dead.
Just need a PCBs and case I have all the cells in well condition and still fully charge, due to here in UK is really complicated to find parts I hope somebody have one old unwanted in his garage.Thanks and sorry for my english level.

I have 2015 turbo s with SBC-B05 battery. The bike has fully functionality with this battery. I recently acquired an older SBC-B01 that came from an original turbo. With the B01, the display powers on but displays zeros for all fields (speed, odometer, battery%). Does anyone know what the issue might be? Maybe a firmware incompatibility issue due to different display?

Back