Replace Headlight on 2018 Giant Quick-E+

pullenj

I have the stock AXA Blueline 30 on my 2018 Giant Quick E+. It is not near bright enough on a dark unlit trail. I would like to install a Busch + Muller IQ-X E. It looks as simple as pulling out the headlamp cable from the downtube, cutting it off and then splicing the cable to the new light. Finish it off by heat shrinking the splice for waterproofing and stuffing it all back into the downtube. Is this how it works? Will the Yamaha system support the IQ-X E? Has anyone done this?
Thank you.

Last edited:
I have the stock AXA Blueline 30 on my 2018 Giant Quick E+. It is not near bright enough on a dark unlit trail. I would like to install a Musch + Mueller IQ-X E. It looks as simple as pulling out the headlamp cable from the downtube, cutting it off and then splicing the cable to the new light. Finish it off by heat shrinking the splice for waterproofing and stuffing it all back into the downtube. Is this how it works? Will the Yamaha system support the IQ-X E? Has anyone done this?
Thank you.
Welcome to the forum. I have the IQ-X-E installed on my Juiced CCX. I was able to use a a Y splitter and connected the leads. I now have 2 headlights that can be turned on or off from the LCD display control panel. I don't know much about the Yamaha system though. The IQ-X-E is polarity sensitive and is protected in case it is wired in reverse polarity. The voltage range is 6V to 60V I believe.

I decided to just go ahead with the install and see what happened. It works great. IQ-X E turns on and off with the light button on the computer and seems to be super bright. I haven't had a chance to ride with it because of all of the stupid snow...
A quick install tip, test your light before you finalize the wiring. My connections (and hopefully the wiring is consistent across all the bikes) had to be White/black to black and black to white/black. Apparently the (+) and (-) wires are opposite on the light and the bike.

I decided to just go ahead with the install and see what happened. It works great. IQ-X E turns on and off with the light button on the computer and seems to be super bright. I haven't had a chance to ride with it because of all of the stupid snow...
A quick install tip, test your light before you finalize the wiring. My connections (and hopefully the wiring is consistent across all the bikes) had to be White/black to black and black to white/black. Apparently the (+) and (-) wires are opposite on the light and the bike.
The light works perfectly for me. You can leave it on during the day because it has a light sensor that lowers the intensity during daylight. I compliment the IQ-X-E using the stock headlight mounted on the fork. I also installed an inline on off switch to turn off the stock light when I don't need it during the day.

Sorry for the delay! I kept forgetting to take the photos. In the second photo you can see the back edge of the light has some vertical striping (for lack of a better description), this part lights up in 3 lines for side view illumination.
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

This photo is a good example of what I was trying to explain with the side lights in my above post. Not my photo or my mounting.
1561705571316.png

I have the standard tires that came with the bike on the front - Schwalbe Big Ben, 27.5x2. I had to change out the rear one (due to a razor blade in the road) and ended up with a Continental Contact Plus City 27.5x2.2 which barely fits in the stock fender. I like them so far. No issues with slipping and I've been out in some pretty rainy weather and some freezing over the winter too.

Back