Replace drop with straight handlebar

I've already maxed out the stem raising and angle with adapters similar to the ones you mentioned. Really need a high profile straight bar, and will probably have to lengthen cables. Too bad they don't make Tiagra hydraulic levers that definitely fit, huh?

I've already maxed out the stem raising and angle with adapters similar to the ones you mentioned. Really need a high profile straight bar, and will probably have to lengthen cables. Too bad they don't make Tiagra hydraulic levers that definitely fit, huh?

I talked with my local bike shop about switching to a straight bar and they said they do it all the time with disc brakes. In fact they had just done one earlier in the day. All you need are new shifters and new hydraulic brake levers. I will probably have to do mine in a year or 2.

I know that this is an old thread but I thought that I would revisit this with some additional options for any one in the same boat as there is really no way to convert the bike to a straight bar due to the brakes and brake levers. Believe me I tried. You would have to change out the entire brake system.

Here is a 70 degree adjustable stem that I came across which is 10 degrees more angle than what was previously available.

And you can buy short reach drop handlebars with a rise from anywhere from 10mm to 50mm-

I am going to buy the Surly HB.

Larry

I know that this is an old thread but I thought that I would revisit this with some additional options for any one in the same boat as there is really no way to convert the bike to a straight bar due to the brakes and brake levers. Believe me I tried. You would have to change out the entire brake system.

Here is a 70 degree adjustable stem that I came across which is 10 degrees more angle than what was previously available.

And you can buy short reach drop handlebars with a rise from anywhere from 10mm to 50mm-

I am going to buy the Surly HB.

Larry

IMG_20220817_143931454_HDR.jpg
Greydog, thanks for the added info... I ended up with a squirrelly-looking hybrid Mcgiver approach that actually worked for my old back...

View attachment 132385Greydog, thanks for the added info... I ended up with a squirrelly-looking hybrid Mcgiver approach that actually worked for my old back...

There is actually a good straight bar shimano brake lever that will work with the road hydraulic disc brakes but it is not sold in the USA. You can buy it in Europe but they will not ship to the U.S..

You can however according to my local bike shop, use Shimano Altus hydraulic disc brake group set that will work with a straight bar and road brakes but I would not trust it with a 44lb Ebike that can do 28 mph.

And then use these Tiagra 4700 10spd straight bar shifters-

It might be a better and safer option for you Tobar.

Hey Todbar, my son found an adjustable bike stem that can go straight up vertical. Scroll down to the bottom of the link to see it set vertically.

You could also use a stem extender-

Also, here is a link to a set of drop handlebars that has a 5cm (2") rise. It also has a very short drop of 100mm and a very short reach at 63mm. This paired with that stem may be just what you need instead of the McGyver Straight bar set up.

Hey Todbar, my son found an adjustable bike stem that can go straight up vertical. Scroll down to the bottom of the link to see it set vertically.

You could also use a stem extender-

Also, here is a link to a set of drop handlebars that has a 5cm (2") rise. It also has a very short drop of 100mm and a very short reach at 63mm. This paired with that stem may be just what you need instead of the McGyver Straight bar set up.

Thank you Greydog for letting me know... Will check these out - Tod

Back