Rent-A-Battery overseas???

Michelll

Hi folks, my first post here. My husband bought me an EBike for Christmas. It's a Haibike XDuro SuperRace. we are avid cyclists but due to age and worsening arthritis, I'm having a difficult time keeping up with our normal ride group, most notably my husband who is an incredible athlete. this bike has been a dream come true. I love the thing. HOWEVER... we had planned a 6 week trip to Italy in the summer, and we've just now discovered we cannot get the 400 WH LI battery over there without spending some $250-$300 each way to transport via FedEx or other carrier - and that doesn't include the VAT and duties they'll likely impose on us... Now it seems even that is "iffy" since we are not trained in the packaging of such hazardous goods! The more we inquire, the more we run into brick walls! I'm wondering if anyone here has any ideas, or whether you know of any companies who rent Ebike batteries for travelers? I've inquired at some ebike shops around Milan but so far none has this service available. meanwhile my husband is busy plotting rides in the Dolomites and around Lake Como and it seems like most of these rides are 50 miles with 8-10,000 feet of climbing!!

I hear ya sister! I am also new to EBR and my wife and I would like to do the same thing as you and your husband. If you don't get any better responses than mine, I suggest you continue to call ebike shops overseas and see if they will rent you a battery with the capacity you specify AND, if necessary, a connecting adapter that will enable you to connect to your bike's wiring harness. Let me know if you have any luck. We would love to do the same trip as you with our own bikes!

What a fantastic idea @daleL ! I also did some quick searches myself and did not turn up any companies that rent out batteries in/around Milan. Have you had any luck yet @Michelll

I looked up the haibike your husband bought you and all I can saw is he makes me look like a chump. I just bought a $700 kit for her. Fortunately she loves it. But then again she won't be cycling the alps.

I'm not too surprised you haven't found any established store that will rent a battery- there is probably no demand for rental batteries but I'll bet if you show up at their shop they might have some spares they might rent.

Alternatively you might start posting ads on Craigslist in Milan (use google translate) and see if you get a response. Also find out if there are any ebike forums that attracts the same type of helpful crowd as EBR.

I really hope your quest for a battery turns out well. Keep me posted so I can do the same trip someday.

@Michelll People like you are a prime motivator for Haibike.

Suggest you find the American Distributor of Haibike and ask them for a European contact... I bet they would be happy to set you up with a battery or rent you an entire pair of bikes.

Great idea @JoePah! That would be wonderful if someone with Haibike is able to do that for her! @Michelll let us know if any of these options work out for you! I posted around to a few well traveled friends who have lived in Italy and abroad to see if they have any contacts close that would be able to recommend a shop or even one to lend, I will let you know if I find anything.

You can hire e-bikes from almost any tourist area in Europe., and this might be an easier option.

You have to shop around a bit to get the best rates, but it's no big deal. I'd rather do that that have the added cost and hassle of transporting a bike.

I guess that is where I'm lucky living in Europe. You just stick the bike on the back of the car, and away you go. :)

I'll try and have a nose around some of the European pedelec forums for you, to see what is available. It could also be worth asking on Trip Advisor UK http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ I'll hunt some other links as well.

Shame that you hadn't chosen Switzerland or Austria, as I could have probably helped with that one. In reality, you won't be so far from Switzerland, and taking Interlaken for example, the small town has four places that E-bikes can be hired from, and I can think of several other shops close by. Perhaps alter your journey to take in say Lauterbrunnen with it's amazing scenery and superb riding. The whole area has some very creditable mapped routes. You could spend a few days or so there, then move to Italy, and just return the bikes at the end of the holiday. You might even be lucky and find somewhere that has a franchise of shops, and then be able leave the bikes anywhere.

You have made me feel very home sick. :( Roll on the end of July, when I can go back to place where my soul is. :)

edit.. Could you give me some planned dates please?

edit again! It is worth asking the airline if the battery could be transported, if it is still fitted to the bike.

Last edited:
Back