Removing Rear Tire on Yukon 750

Rusty Shackleford

Hi Guys,
I'm trying to replace the tubes on my Yukon 750. I got the front wheel off no problem but the rear wheel is completely stuck to the frame. I've loosened both of the bolts, have the chain in the highest gear, applied some degreaser and lightly tapped the bolts with a small hammer to get them loose but the wheel refuses to budge.

Has this happened to anyone? If anyone has ideas or recommendations I'd love to hear them.
Thanks.

Hi Guys,
I'm trying to replace the tubes on my Yukon 750. I got the front wheel off no problem but the rear wheel is completely stuck to the frame. I've loosened both of the bolts, have the chain in the highest gear, applied some degreaser and lightly tapped the bolts with a small hammer to get them loose but the wheel refuses to budge.

Has this happened to anyone? If anyone has ideas or recommendations I'd love to hear them.
Thanks.

Hey Rusty, not sure if this is a good thing but I am pretty seasoned now on removing the rear tire from the frame (lots of practice from flats). I have had this same issue and found that rocking the wheel from side to side a few times did the trick. The rear mount on the disc side seems to be a little too tight and does not have the nice torque arm like the freewheel side to help prevent the threads from digging in. You may even have to push on the frame on the disc side in the direction of the freewheel to reduce the load on the threads while rocking the wheel.
I have had zero luck pulling straight up on that wheel. Didn't try a hammer as I was concerned about the axial. Rocking (tilting) wheel side to side seemed to provide enough mechanical advantage to leverage the axel free. Take some sand paper and remove a few layers once you get the axel free and lube it and you should be golden for the next attempt.

Hope that helps!

Hi Guys,

Thanks.
Looking at pulling the trigger on a Yukon 750 Limited. What worked for you in getting the rear tire off? If I get this bike, I plan on changing out the Kenda tires for Origin8 Supercells for a quieter ride on paved roads as this will be my daily commuter. How's the bike holding up and how do you use the bike if you don't mind my asking?

Back