Removing fenders on Vado 4?

dbison

I thinking about removing the fenders on my bike. The front one seems pretty straight forward, but the rear seems like it a bit more tricky especially with the rear light cable going into the motor compartment.
Is this something i can do by myself or should i take it to the my LBS?
Thanks

Why were you thinking about removing them?

It is funny to me, since I was out in the garage just last night, checking over my Vado 4.0 with the same thing in mind! :)

I don't much like or need fenders how I ride the bike, and I tend to think I would like the bike's appearance better without them.

But in the end it looked like a pain to remove the rear (as you noted), and I thought about my wife complaining that my tires throw up too much cr@p when she rides behind me. Plus they don't seem to rattle or anything. So I decided that for the time being anyway I'm leaving them on.

You might want to check out the 'I hate fenders' thread before removing yours; https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/i-hate-fenders.32745/ .

The Vado rear rack is partially supported by the rear fender. There are threaded frame inserts on the under side of the seat stays intended for a frame lock, but no inserts on the sides that would accept an after market rack. As such, you may be giving up a rear rack entirely when the rear fender is removed. Just sayin'.

Reactions: TMH
You might want to check out the 'I hate fenders' thread before removing yours; https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/i-hate-fenders.32745/ .

The Vado rear rack is partially supported by the rear fender. There are threaded frame inserts on the under side of the seat stays intended for a frame lock, but no inserts on the sides that would accept an after market rack. As such, you may be giving up a rear rack entirely when the rear fender is removed. Just sayin'.
You can add a seatpost clamp with bosses to add a rack. When I had a Vado 2.0 that came without either, I did that to have just a rack.
6F1BEF75-0ABC-490A-B3C2-1805F7324673.jpeg

Reactions: TMH

I see what your saying. I plan to keep the rack on the fender, I just want to remove the whole thing for the time begin. I plan to put it back on once I can start commuting to work with it.

I thinking about removing the fenders on my bike. The front one seems pretty straight forward, but the rear seems like it a bit more tricky especially with the rear light cable going into the motor compartment.
Is this something i can do by myself or should i take it to the my LBS?
Thanks
You can remove the rear fender by removing the engine plastic cover (4 screws) then unplug the rear light cable. Its easy to do i used to do it when planning off road rides.

Attachments

• 20191027_141415.jpg
    20191027_141415.jpg
    705.9 KB · Views: 800
You can remove the rear fender by removing the engine plastic cover (4 screws) then unplug the rear light cable. Its easy to do i used to do it when planning off road rides.
Thanks for your insight. I got the courage to remove the motor cover and saw the plug you were talking about. My only concern is leaving outlet not covered. Did you cover the outlet on the motor with anything or did you leave it uncovered?
Great bike the way, I have the same crimson one. One of the reason i want to remove the fenders is because there are light trails i want ride, but also want to see if the decreased weight will change the ride.
Did you happen to weigh the fenders to see how much weight you shaved off?

Thanks for your insight. I got the courage to remove the motor cover and saw the plug you were talking about. My only concern is leaving outlet not covered. Did you cover the outlet on the motor with anything or did you leave it uncovered?
Great bike the way, I have the same crimson one. One of the reason i want to remove the fenders is because there are light trails i want ride, but also want to see if the decreased weight will change the ride.
Did you happen to weigh the fenders to see how much weight you shaved off?
Hi dbison. Yes they are great bikes. I added a waterproof plug on the outside of the motor cover so i can easily remove the fenders without taking the motor cover off each time. Earlier i just unpluged the connector and left it exposed. I didnt have any issues doing this but we were riding in dry conditions. I didnt notice any difference in the ride feel without the fenders on.

You can add a seatpost clamp with bosses to add a rack. When I had a Vado 2.0 that came without either, I did that to have just a rack.View attachment 52372
It looks like your rack attaches to the inside of the seatstays whereas all the racks I've had attach to the outside. I wouldn't think there'd be enough clearance for that. How did you do it and what brand/model of rack is that?

It looks like your rack attaches to the inside of the seatstays whereas all the racks I've had attach to the outside. I wouldn't think there'd be enough clearance for that. How did you do it and what brand/model of rack is that?
The rack actually mounts to the seatpost collar, as there are no rack mounts on the stays.

Last edited:
Was watching utube videos on repair of different brands of motors. On the three I watched, all had shot craps from what looked to be water ingress with obvious rusting of parts, ruining the bearings. Something to think about if removing fenders.

The rack actually mounts to the seatpost collar, as there are no rack mounts on the stays.
Were you able to use the stock arms that came with the rack, or did you change them out to match up with the seat post collar?

Seat post clamps with rack stay bolt attachments are available, but it looks like you used the standard Vado clamp with a new bolt (and nut)? A quick search didn't find any 30.9mm clamps with rack stay attachment points.

I was talking about at the bottom of the stays where the seat and chainstays meet. And what model rack?

I was talking about at the bottom of the stays where the seat and chainstays meet. And what model rack?
Sorry, it is a Specialized rack and there is a place to mount it but the rack actually goes inside the stay rather than outside.
80A3F25A-CF34-4EBA-835D-E7414C45B35C.jpeg
C059118B-6E74-4A2A-A1A8-5040231C6E30.jpeg

Where was that photo taken? It reminds of a similar bridge over the Potomac at Harper's Ferry that was basically a narrow catwalk hung off the side of a CSX railroad bridge. With just a chainlink fence separating it from the tracks, it was a real thrill to be on there when a train came across! Unfortunately, it collapsed a few months ago when a trail derailed on the bridge (!) and since it's basically owned by the Natl Park Service it's unclear how and when it might be replaced. It's kind of important too since it's part of the Appalachian Trail going from Harper's Ferry to the C&O Canal Towpath and beyond. It also cuts off all the bikers on the C&O from going over to Harper's Ferry for sightseeing, food, etc.

Where was that photo taken? It reminds of a similar bridge over the Potomac at Harper's Ferry that was basically a narrow catwalk hung off the side of a CSX railroad bridge. With just a chainlink fence separating it from the tracks, it was a real thrill to be on there when a train came across! Unfortunately, it collapsed a few months ago when a trail derailed on the bridge (!) and since it's basically owned by the Natl Park Service it's unclear how and when it might be replaced. It's kind of important too since it's part of the Appalachian Trail going from Harper's Ferry to the C&O Canal Towpath and beyond. It also cuts off all the bikers on the C&O from going over to Harper's Ferry for sightseeing, food, etc.
Well that's sad! We stayed in Harper's Ferry one night on a bike trip down the C&O. Fun little river over look restaurants.

The bridge crosses Tauranga harbour New Zealand. Still used for rail. I live in Auckland but travel regularly for rides. Will get back to it now the virus here has settled and we are now allowed to travel.

Were you able to use the stock arms that came with the rack, or did you change them out to match up with the seat post collar?

Seat post clamps with rack stay bolt attachments are available, but it looks like you used the standard Vado clamp with a new bolt (and nut)? A quick search didn't find any 30.9mm clamps with rack stay attachment points.
Here's one from Specialized, although 30.6 is as close as they get.

I used the rack as is. Angle was not ideal for the attachment holes on the arms but workable. The diameter of the clamp was not the same as seatpost diameter but Specialized should be able to send you the appropriate one.

Can the cover be removed without removing other parts? I don't have the bike here at the moment, but the guy working on it at the LBS mentioned "removing the motor cover" which required pulling the crank arms.

Back