Removing and reinstalling front fender on Allant 9.9s

Kevmk81

Has anyone removed the front fender of their Allant 9.9s? I'm a person that likes to be able to fidget, fix, make things better, etc... I'm curious how easy it is to re-install. I did remove the piece of plastic that covers the bolts that hold the fender to the wheel, but the bolts are attached to a piece of metal that I'm not familiar with. I don't want to screw anything up because I *do* want to use my fender afterall - but still would like the ability to remove at will if I so choose.

I've removed the rear on the 8s but I imagine it's set up a little different on the carbon fiber frame. Took me a minute to realize the mud flaps need to come off first then the plastic cover up the middle of the fender slides right out... But I also found one of the bolts had been stripped so had to clean that up. And there is no easy disconnect for the wire to the rear taillight so couldn't actually take the fender off completely. I didn't look inside the motor cover to see if I could disconnect it there. I imagine the front is similar and it might be similar to the 9.9.

I did remove the piece of plastic that covers the bolts that hold the fender to the wheel, but the bolts are attached to a piece of metal that I'm not familiar with.

I am not familiar with the Trek, but front fenders are always mounted at three points. One at the fork crown, and two on the dropouts, or in the case of the 9.9s, two on the fork blades. The piece of plastic you removed, is it on the fender itself? You should not need to remove anything there, but I am thinkinging what you might be seeing is part of a safety mechanism put in place so if the fender were to fail, it would not get caught on the tire and stop its rotation.

I'm completely guessing. Photos would help.

I've removed the rear on the 8s but I imagine it's set up a little different on the carbon fiber frame. Took me a minute to realize the mud flaps need to come off first then the plastic cover up the middle of the fender slides right out... But I also found one of the bolts had been stripped so had to clean that up. And there is no easy disconnect for the wire to the rear taillight so couldn't actually take the fender off completely. I didn't look inside the motor cover to see if I could disconnect it there. I imagine the front is similar and it might be similar to the 9.9.
I just bought a 8s and had the shop install the same suspension fork as 7s. They said I could not install the factory 8s fender. Steve at SR said it should go on without any issues. So i was trying to remove the fender from the fork. The two screws on the fork legs was no issue. However, could not get the black plugs out on the top. I assume these have some sort of screw to release the top of the fender from the crown. What did you do to get those our or am I doing something wrong? Thanks

Back