Relatively long commute on gravel

Enibas

Region
Canada
Hi everyone,
Like many others, I am also looking at investing in my first ebike, specifically for commuting to work. I have already done some research and tested a few ebikes, but would love to hear your input!
My commute is 80 km return, with some extra km during the day (maybe 5-10km). Most of it is on a flat gravel road that are often windy, and with one big "hill" (a 2.5km long paved bridge). I do have the option to recharge the battery while I'm at work, most days, but not always.
I used to cycle to work once or twice a week without motorized help, but would love to use an ebike and do it more often! I also had a knee replacement recently and would prefer to take it a bit easier for a while (though I know I won't resist cycling!)
I'm 5'9 and 150lb and will be carrying some gear I need for work (anywhere between 10-20kg).

I would prefer a mid range class 3 bike, with front suspension because of the terrain.
My budget is relatively flexible and I would prefer to get a better bike that would last longer, but I'd have a hard time justifying more than $5000.

Thank you for any suggestions!

Weight on the back of a comfort position bike lifts the front wheel. 20 kg, 44 lb, is significant weight. I've had front wheels snap sideways on bumps, gravel ridge, a stick, and throw me over the handlebars on my chin. 2 mtb's and a cruiser did it 5 times. Your suspension requirement leaves out stretch frame cargo bikes that put the rider's weight on the front tire (that solved my instability problem). I would suggest carrying some of that weight on the front tire. Steering 44 lb is not recommended. There are a few bikes with frame mounts for a front basket that doesn't steer. One such bike was the surface604 werk. Specialized had one pricey model with front basket frame mount.

Having owned and ridden a Giant Trance E myself, I would have to say that the Yamaha Pro Sync drive motor is a reliable performer and relatively quiet. The Explore E Pro that Dave suggested would meet most of your needs in a complete package if it’s within your budget.

There is also the Explore E + GTS which sports the Sports Sync Drive motor (less torque) and 500Wh battery but at a lower price point. Both models are RE compatible if you require more range.

Having owned and ridden a Giant Trance E myself, I would have to say that the Yamaha Pro Sync drive motor is a reliable performer and relatively quiet. The Explore E Pro that Dave suggested would meet most of your needs in a complete package if it’s within your budget.

There is also the Explore E + GTS which sports the Sports Sync Drive motor (less torque) and 500Wh battery but at a lower price point. Both models are RE compatible if you require more range.

I forgot about the range extender. Good option.

Or, do you think you would absolutely need an E+1 Pro with a 625Wh battery to be able to ride 100km on gravel?
I greatly recommend that. Riding gravel means "paying Gravel Tax". You need more assistance on gravel than on asphalt. 100 km? Yes, as long as you select appropriately low assistance level by motor tuning with the RideControl app. It also depends on how string you are.

Stefan Mikes -- Thanks for your response. I was planning to ride gravel in Level 1 ECO mode, and I weigh 155 pounds/70 kilos. The Explore E+3 with the 500wh battery is $1200cdn less than the E+1 Pro. Given that cost is an issue, Do you think this 500Wh battery would have enough power to do 100km on gravel road?

Stefan Mikes -- Thanks for your response. I was planning to ride gravel in Level 1 ECO mode, and I weigh 155 pounds/70 kilos. The Explore E+3 with the 500wh battery is $1200cdn less than the E+1 Pro. Given that cost is an issue, Do you think this 500Wh battery would have enough power to do 100km on gravel road?
It only depends on your level of fitness. My brother could ride a Giant Trance E+ 2 Pro with a 625 Wh battery for 160 km on asphalt upwind. He can do well over 100 km on gravel with that battery (riding 50% ECO). He is, however a strong and healthy person. I could only ride the same e-bike in mixed terrain for some 64 km with the 500 Wh battery or 80 km on the 625 Wh battery (100% ECO). Really depends on the rider!

I'd recommend an ebike with a Bosch motor. I'm the same weight as you and ride a Cannondale Topstone gravel bike, with the Bosch gen 4 motor. If I keep the motor mostly in eco mode I can easily do 140km on one charge. So far I have 8000km on my bike and with the exception of having the motor-to-frame bolt re-torqued, I haven't had any issues, so reliability seems to be very good.

I'd recommend an ebike with a Bosch motor. I'm the same weight as you and ride a Cannondale Topstone gravel bike, with the Bosch gen 4 motor. If I keep the motor mostly in eco mode I can easily do 140km on one charge. So far I have 8000km on my bike and with the exception of having the motor-to-frame bolt re-torqued, I haven't had any issues, so reliability seems to be very good.
Do you say the motor alone makes such a big difference? Because I would say it is the lightweight gravel e-bike (Topstone) and your legs that make the difference :)

I am fit and I currently have a lightweight acoustic gravel bike, but I am changing to an upright hybrid E-bike due to neck/back injuries. So I am looking for your recommendations for an upright hybrid E-bike, like the Giant Explore E+3, BUT would have a battery big enough to provide 100km range on mixed gravel/pavement. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'm heavier than you, but I'd be hard pressed to suggest most people could get 100kms out of a 500wh battery. On the Canadian site I see 3 Explorer versions. The least expensive one uses the older battery format (behind the frame), so that would not take an upgraded battery. The other two look like they would take a 500, 625, or 800wh battery which to me is a bonus, especially if the 500wh didn't cut it.

So I am looking for your recommendations for an upright hybrid E-bike, like the Giant Explore E+3, BUT would have a battery big enough to provide 100km range on mixed gravel/pavement. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Specialized Vado SL + a Range Extender. It works for me.
1678808538681.png

A lightweight hybrid/fitness e-bike. I've modified mine for gravel cycling purposes.

When folks are saying "gravel" ... what do you mean, as there are a number of different gravel surfaces.

I have a lot of fine gravel covered paths/trails, the kind loved by joggers but hated by skateboarders. These multi use trails are usually hard packed with some fine loose gravel on the surface. They tend to get small puddles or swails but overall there's not a lot of "tax" riding these trails if they're flat, they're quite close to asphalt surfaces in terms of resistance (and therefore distance) but the overall speed is lower than asphalt roadways. I can comfortably ride these trails with a fixed or non suspension bike setup.

Then there's the gravel/dirt roads where the gravel size is larger and is often looser and accumulates in bunches. Older roads often have longer stretches of hard surface but are also pocked with pot holes or the really nasty washboard surfaces. Here there's a real tax on riding distance (probably adds 20% to the battery usage) and where front suspension certainly makes a big difference, both in terms of comfort and controllability at higher speeds.

Yes, I was looking for an upright hybrid E-bike to ride the back roads of Ontario and Quebec, Canada - basically gravel/dirt roads with lots of pot holes, and washboard surface. I am thinking of a Giant Explore E+2 (500 Wh battery), or a Giant Explore E+1 PRO (625 Wh battery) -- and trying to figure out if I could get 80km of gravel riding from either of these bikes (cost is an issue).

Hi everyone,
Like many others, I am also looking at investing in my first ebike, specifically for commuting to work. I have already done some research and tested a few ebikes, but would love to hear your input!
My commute is 80 km return, with some extra km during the day (maybe 5-10km). Most of it is on a flat gravel road that are often windy, and with one big "hill" (a 2.5km long paved bridge). I do have the option to recharge the battery while I'm at work, most days, but not always.
I used to cycle to work once or twice a week without motorized help, but would love to use an ebike and do it more often! I also had a knee replacement recently and would prefer to take it a bit easier for a while (though I know I won't resist cycling!)
I'm 5'9 and 150lb and will be carrying some gear I need for work (anywhere between 10-20kg).

I would prefer a mid range class 3 bike, with front suspension because of the terrain.
My budget is relatively flexible and I would prefer to get a better bike that would last longer, but I'd have a hard time justifying more than $5000.

Thank you for any suggestions!
How much gravel are we talking about here? When I hear gravel road, I think of a dirt road in the country that may or may not have some gravel on top.

Yes, I was looking for an upright hybrid E-bike to ride the back roads of Ontario and Quebec, Canada - basically gravel/dirt roads with lots of pot holes, and washboard surface. I am thinking of a Giant Explore E+2 (500 Wh battery), or a Giant Explore E+1 PRO (625 Wh battery) -- and trying to figure out if I could get 80km of gravel riding from either of these bikes (cost is an issue).
I had a look to the vast database of my ride stats on Strava, where I typically put the notes about the actual battery consumption. Whenever it was a mixed terrain ride (Giant and Specialized e-bikes), starting from the 100% charge and ending with the rest of the battery charge (at the unusable level) was giving me the same 64+ km (exactly 40 miles) as long as the ride was on the flat, and the effective fresh charge was 500 Wh. The assistance in the cases I analysed was equivalent to Giant "125%" ECO that feels natural and does not require the excessive effort from the rider.

It is important to mention Giant e-bikes exhibit a strange behaviour below the 20% battery charge: the remaining charge is going off the cliff giving only a few km range.
1678856835918.png

That was my first longer ride on a brand new Giant Trance E+ 2 Pro with 500 Wh battery. I was riding in standard Giant BASIC (Level 2). I had to pedal for the last 3 km unassisted.

1678857068898.png

Then, I tried the Giant AUTO mode on the same e-bike. I actually rode assisted for 53 km, and the rest was the unassisted ride.

Whenever hills came into the account (like 650 m elevation gain), I could safely ride for only 54 km on the Giant Trance E+ with the 500 Wh battery. That made me so disappointed I ordered the expensive 625 Wh battery and the battery cover, and after having waited for several months, I could eventually enjoy longer rides (with the 500 Wh battery carried as a spare). (I mentioned earlier my brother who can ride the Trance E+ for far longer distances. Yes, he reduces his lowest assistance level to the minimum (50% of assistance -- with 360% being the maximum) and often pedals unassisted).

The battery is the most expensive of e-bike components. I write all this to not make you @CXS100 badly surprised after you have invested in the expensive e-bike and then realised you could not achieve your goal.

Last edited:
Here's my Stance after a 60km circumnavigation of Richmond B.C. ***EDIT to say this was on my 500wh battery***
Richmond is flat as a pancake as you can see. I spent the trip in only assist level 1 or 2.
If there were hills of any sort the battery would have been depleted a lot more.
Getting the 800wh battery has ridden me of any range anxiety.

Last edited:
Back