regen braking need help

kevinmccune

Region
USA
OK, I bought a fwd Violamart kit 1000 watt, is lt possible to get regen with the stock display and controller? these hills are murder on the brakes, need a way to slow down to a reasonable speed on the downgrade due to the fact large critters like to amble in way unexpectedly.

I am not familiar with it but a quick google says it should do regen. do you have the brake switches installed (correctly)?

OK, I bought a fwd Violamart kit 1000 watt, is lt possible to get regen with the stock display and controller? these hills are murder on the brakes, need a way to slow down to a reasonable speed on the downgrade due to the fact large critters like to amble in way unexpectedly.

Take a look at this site and see if you get any ideas on how to activate it. Also RTFM maybe they say how it is supposed to activate. https://ebikes.ca/learn/regen.html

Thank you, it has some pretty good advice OTH I cannot afford Justins merchandise.

Yeh I have only done some test rides on hub motor bikes and never tried regen so I was curious how it worked. some automatic, some 2 throttle, some switch, some brake with optional throttle to control amount when braking... on my Chevy Volt it is both automatic with the brakes or a switch on the steering console...

perhaps I could shunt the power wires and switch to a "dump" to generate enough counter EMF to retard the bicycle, after all a lot of electric motors are generators in reverse. Any ideas?

Yeh I have only done some test rides on hub motor bikes and never tried regen so I was curious how it worked. some automatic, some 2 throttle, some switch, some brake with optional throttle to control amount when braking... on my Chevy Volt it is both automatic with the brakes or a switch on the steering console...
It appears the Chevy Volt was quite a good car despite what the naysayers said,I always liked the styling and the real possibility of doing a month's close driving on a gallon of gas. There is another benefit from the DD hub motors, a good one has "heirloom" quality as long as the main bearings hold up those things cold be around a long time,I gave my brother a 1500 watt DD rwd motor for His bike and it has plenty of oomph, His Son who is very good with things electrical and mechanical said He thought He had it regenning" one time.

It appears the Chevy Volt was quite a good car despite what the naysayers said,I always liked the styling and the real possibility of doing a month's close driving on a gallon of gas. There is another benefit from the DD hub motors, a good one has "heirloom" quality as long as the main bearings hold up those things cold be around a long time,I gave my brother a 1500 watt DD rwd motor for His bike and it has plenty of oomph, His Son who is very good with things electrical and mechanical said He thought He had it regenning" one time.
with a brushless motor it is just software, literally a negative force input and everything works backwards. but... the controller has to have the input somehow.
yeh this is my second Volt and now that I commute by bike and previously telecommute I put one to two tanks of gas a year. generally 2000, 5000 miles per tank. Usually use a gallon to visit my daughter or sometimes we take a long trip (with the folding bikes in the back hatch) without charging and I get 50 MPG.

Very good, if this current build works out alright I will seek a "KT controller and display".This cheapo cruiser has very poor mechanical disc brakes.

Back