(Refund Refused/More Issues) My Experience - Brand New Stromer. 3 months of ownership, 2 months of repairs.

Did the dealer ask you to bring the bike to them? I believe they did. This means they are still working with you. The fact they are far from where you live is something you accepted when you entered into a contract with them.

Stromer has a product with a comprehensive warranty that is supported by dealers. It's a product that requires dealer support, full stop. I agree the dealer has let you down and should resolve the situation.

Yes I know they are required to investigate. It is also my understanding that a charge back can be valid if the product is "Not as described", and "defective" falls under that category as well.

To be clear, my issue is with both the shop and Stromer for different reasons.

Did the dealer ask you to bring the bike to them? I believe they did. This means they are still working with you. The fact they are far from where you live is something you accepted when you entered into a contract with them.

Stromer has a product with a comprehensive warranty that is supported by dealers. It's a product that requires dealer support, full stop. I agree the dealer has let you down and should resolve the situation.

The dealer is playing games with the OP and has already demonstrated bad faith in the process.

I would recommend playing hardball and working directly with the credit card company... see below.

Update from Stromer direct: they responded with saying it is the merchant's responsibility to offer a refund, while the bike shop is saying it is up to Stromer.

Sigh

I agree that my distance from the dealer is my issue, and I've never made that a point against the dealer. I've said as much in the posts.

My point of the distance I've traveled is more of a knock agaisnt the limited Stromer network, and one of the reasons I say to stay away from Stromer.

In any event, six repairs deserves a refund no questions asked.

I get what you're saying, and believe me I do have sympathy for the hassles you're going through.

But something about the "limited Stromer network" critique doesn't add up. Didn't you say there was a Stromer dealer near you, but you chose to go to Wisconsin to save money? Couldn't you still go to that dealer close to you to have the work done (presuming they know what they are doing), pay any additional charges beyond what is covered by warranty, and ask for reimbursement from the dealer where you bought your bike? It wouldn't have been six repairs if the repairs had been done correctly.

Is the dealer you purchased from known for offering great internet deals on older discontinued stock, "demos", return bikes, etc., and shipping those bikes in unbuilt condition? Nothing wrong with saving money, but I would say Stromer's main fault here was in working with the dealer who sold you the bike, not in having too limited a dealer network.

I do hope you get your refund or a satisfactory resolution of another kind, good luck.

I agree that my distance from the dealer is my issue, and I've never made that a point against the dealer. I've said as much in the posts.

My point of the distance I've traveled is more of a knock agaisnt the limited Stromer network, and one of the reasons I say to stay away from Stromer.

In any event, six repairs deserves a refund no questions asked.

But something about the "limited Stromer network" critique doesn't add up. Didn't you say there was a Stromer dealer near you, but you chose to go to Wisconsin to save money? Couldn't you still go to that dealer close to you to have the work done (presuming they know what they are doing), pay any additional charges beyond what is covered by warranty, and ask for reimbursement from the dealer where you bought your bike?

I mentioned this in a previous post, but my nearby dealer was asking me to pay for all labor, plus $75 just to diagnose. Going through reimbursement would be a hassle itself. They also told me they'll stop selling Stromer bikes soon due to the trouble they were to deal with.

Otherwise, there is no closer dealer than Wisconsin.

Last edited:
Personally I would have paid the local dealer for the repairs to save the hassle of travel, and then played hardball with Wisconsin about the additional expenses, probably would have been $300 or so. You are going to have to take the bike back to get a refund in any case, no one is going to refund thousands of dollars without you returning the product first. You do have a right to a product that functions as it should.

[edit:] After checking out the website of your local dealer, I wouldn't be confident in them having the needed skills either... sad. I know for a fact that Stromer does stand behind their product, but you definitely benefit by having a dealer with deep knowledge of the product nearby.

Last edited:
I get what you're saying, and believe me I do have sympathy for the hassles you're going through.

But something about the "limited Stromer network" critique doesn't add up. Didn't you say there was a Stromer dealer near you, but you chose to go to Wisconsin to save money? Couldn't you still go to that dealer close to you to have the work done (presuming they know what they are doing), p
I am still considering a Stromer purchase from Lenny's. Its a 2 hour drive BUT I'd rather spend funds for an e-bike at dealer with realistic prices, excellent customer support and no hassle test ride availability which is not the norm with the clown in downtown Naperville. That dufus has no clue about owning or operating a business or dealing with a potential consumer purchase inquiry. I got the same treatment as the reviewer when I made a local Stromer inquiry.

The Stromer ST5 at Lenny's was $2000 less than what the clown in Naperville was selling a Stromer for. That's a HUGE finance savings. FWIW, I have been in contact with a number of e-bike shops to discuss differnt models they have in stock and for test rides. Wheel & Sprocket, Eriks, Village Cyclesport. Main Street Bikes and the Cyclery. Not one of those businesses sent inflammatory degrading e-mail as a follow up for a test ride inquiry or questions about e-bike purchase.

Stromer is a dream e-bike BUT there is no local support. I am going to continue following threads on EBR about Stormers. Sooner or later I'll be taking the drive to Lenny's.

Nichu U.
Elk Grove Village, IL

7/28/2020
Horrible business owner. He sent me an email asking me to come today @ 730pm. We showed up to buy 3 bikes. He tells me he made a scheduling mistake & to come back on Friday same time. I said we're here now, let's just get it done, we came from far. We even said we would wait. He refused & got all weird about it. I then said clearly he doesn't need our money. My buddy kept wanting to get the deal done because he drove the furthest & it was a gift for someone leaving this weekend. We then left. Then in the evening Michael (the owner) starts sending me threatening texts, name calling me, harassing me. I told him to stop then 30 minutes later he sends me another threatening abusive text. Clearly he has some mental problems. If anyone wants the proof, I have his email & text messages. I've blocked him now. But everyone need to be cautious. You're not just buying a bike, you'll need service too. Be careful dealing with this guy. I would avoid him.

Edit Friday July 24:
LOL. It's sad that Mike needs to lie. I just read his reply. All would have been well & I would have left it alone if he didn't start harassing me & that's why it's important that everyone know who they are dealing with & it's reasons like this that Google & others have this method of communication. 1st he sent a reply yesterday imo: full of rage. Then deleted it & sent another long winded one below full of lies. I've attached my screen copies of his harassing name calling abusive texts to me of which I eventually called Naperville police & they told me to block him.

I've also attached his email telling me to come today. Not me initiating - it was him. Think about the basic premise. I did call him. He sent me a link to the bike & told me he was booked up for a few weeks. So I said, well if you can squeeze me in or have any cancelations let me know. He then tells me to come in 2 days later. Why on earth would I drive on my own so far with out a confirmed after hours appnt when he is normally closed. Clearly it doesn't make any sense & neither does his story. He flew off the handle with me & is now trying to paint a fake history & doing damage control. This negative review from me would not have existed if he didn't start harassing me that evening either.

A simple apology would have been enough. But his rude name calling.... Everyone needs to know

Back