Redux vs Vado 3.0

twabscs

Hello All,

Lurker here that is finally buying a bike in the next week or so. My LBSs have most Trek and Specialized, but also some Raleigh. I'm trying to decide between the Vado 3.0 and Redux. I've ridden the following bikes:

1) Specialized Como 2 and 3
2) Specialized Vado 3 and 5
3) Trek Super Commuter 8 (loved this too, but too expensive in comparison)

Purpose of bike is short ride on pavement to most hard gravel trails. My wife and I are in our late 50's and really had a blast riding these electric bikes. It will provide us with the confidence to ride 2-3 times a week, maybe 10-15 miles each trip. This is just a start and we realize that we'll probably buy something different in 18-24 months in the future. She is fine with a Como 2 or 3 but I'm having trouble with the 'looks' of the Specialized bikes. To me the Redux looks so much better then the Vado, but yeah, I know, looks are dependent on the viewer.

Anyway, my dilemma is that I'll have to order the Redux, pay, and have it shipped to my LBS without ever riding one. Also on pricing, they have a demo Vado 3 that they'll let me have for $2600 and the Redux is $3000.

Has anyone had the same issue with picking between the two and also ridden them both? I know my LBS pushed Specialized over Raleigh, but they sell a few of them, etc.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Try this one: (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

It's like Super Commuter minus the racks/fenders/lights/kickstand. You could add a rack and it would serve your purpose well.

Also, Ralegh has sale going on. So, the redux is $2500 for every retailer in the country.

Thanks, I have looked at Lore too, but it seems no one has a Large...

My retailer wants $2999 for the one Large Redux they have (requires shipping from another store too) and Raleigh's site only shows Medium available. Not sure why they can charge $500 more, they said something about improved lights, but when I read the specs on all sites I don't see anything different. Maybe I'll call them again.

I'm just shy of 6'1" so thinking Large is my only option...

Update:
I called and they are looking into the price difference. Raleigh also said it should be the $2499 and will make it right with LBS if necessary. I wasn't expecting such great customer service when buying something these days. It's quite nice!

Last edited:
I have that in my cart as well. I should have mentioned it. Basically it will be either the trekking 9, redux, or Vado. The trouble is I’ve only ridden the Vado. My LBS luckily has Haibike, Specialized, and Raleigh in their lines but really push specialized. In fact they have no Haibikes in the store to even look at but they are all over their websites.

Anyway right now there is a battle with the lbs to honor the Raleigh $2499 price. I guess it wasn’t as easy as I initially thought.

If anyone has an opinion on the three with consideration to price please pipe in as I appreciate it! I like the look of the Haibike and it has the Bosch motor which I’m fine with.

Last edited:
I’ve had my Redux for nearly a year and like it a lot (if you search for my posts I’ve reviewed it and discussed its +s & -s at some length.) Were I in your shoes, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy it again- I rented Vados twice and feel the Redux is very similar and in some significant ways a step up. Anyway, what I’d buy today is the nearly-identical iZip Moda, which is currently selling for $2250.

Oh, I’m a short guy but the small is almost too big for me. If at all possible, try to stand over the bike you buy before handing them a check.

Thanks, I read through your comments and threads. All very informative. I'm going to stick with the Redux (as you indicate the Moda doesn't seem to be available in large) and see if the LBS / Raleigh will come through with the promised price on the large. I'll let you all know. If they do not come through, I'll probably go to a Trek or Haibike.

Update: Working with LBS and Raleigh I was able to get the large for $2499. Now on its way to LBS for setup. I'll let you all know about my new eBike experiences, and thanks everyone for the great feedback this site provides.

Congratulations. I was also looking at the Redux but opted for the Moda. No LBS for either, but I chose the Moda due to its' color vs. the Redux. Good luck with it. Jealous that you have an LBS for support, however.

Back