Recommendations for cycling rain wear?

FitzChivalry

I keep getting sidelined from riding to work because of rainy forecasts. I have the Pearl Izumi Men's Elite Barrier Jacket on my Amazon wish list, but at $55, I want to make sure it's the right choice. Also, are there other rainy-weather accessories to make life a little less soggy? Things to keep other parts of of you dry?

if it is cold I would recommend a non vented helmet to block all rain from your head, a face mask and thin wool layer long johns and top.

on top of it some lightweight wind barrier shell.

Hi Fitz,

I have a full rain suit that I got when I picked up my Stromer. It includes jacket pants and foot covers. I also picked up a Castelli Goccia rain jacket because of how much it rains here!

castelli-goccia-due-rain-jacket.jpg

Keep in mind that wind resistant and water proof are two totally different things. There is little to no breathing going on with a waterproof jacket. I usually roll up my work clothes (business casual) and put it in my waterproof Mission Workshop backpack and if its raining or roads are wet I for sure put on at least my rain pants. I have also been using the Fox Antifreeze gloves to keep my hands warm. They aren't waterproof but even when its' crazy raining out my hands stay warm.

Have fun!

That's interesting Eddie... I've never seen a rain cape before but they make sense and are pretty affordable as well! Kind of reminds me of a Snuggie or something :p

ninja-turtle-snuggie.jpg

Last year when visiting Salt Lake City Utah I discovered these Bar Mitts designed to keep your hands warm when riding. Kind of a neat idea.

Good find Chandlee, I saw that Levi had several pants designed to be flexible and perfect for commuters who ride bikes. Neat that they're focused on this growing segment :D

Another option worth considering is the Showers Pass range which is a manufacturer out of Portland. Personally I am on my second Showers Pass Elite 2.0 as I brought it for commuting and touring ... it has worked pretty well on eight hour rides in pouring down rain. That said they have other options which might be more suited to commuting and local rides. Worth a look at least in my view.

showers-pass-elite-2-rain-coat.jpg

As to riding with a helmet and in my cases glasses I find a cycling cap under my helmet works a treat in keeping the rain off my glasses. It does of course wet out after awhile. I have seen suggestions to use a shower cap on the helmet but haven't tried that yet.

Regards
Andrew

I'm resurrecting this thread to ask: does anyone have any clue about a rain cape that could cover a backpack and a helmet? All the so called cycling rain capes and ponchos on amazon and elsewhere look like they have hoods that just fit over your bare head: what could be the logic in that? I'd very much like to have just one lightweight thing to keep in my pack that I can easily put on if it starts raining...

Shower caps are often used for covering the helmet ... maybe an option which gives you more flexibility.

Andrew

Ok... but can anyone explain why it's impossible to simply buy a cape with a hood that fits over a helmet? I'm genuinely puzzled.

Ok... but can anyone explain why it's impossible to simply buy a cape with a hood that fits over a helmet? I'm genuinely puzzled.
If you desire a parka that is designed to be big enough (hunchback shaped) to fit both a backpack and a helmet (your specs.) I'm assuming 'on' a bike 'at' speed...you're probably looking at simply an extra large rain suit with a hooded draw-string to keep the hood from flying off your head.

if it is cold I would recommend a non vented helmet to block all rain from your head, a face mask and thin wool layer long johns and top.

on top of it some lightweight wind barrier shell.

A cheaper option popular amongst bicycle tourists is a shower cap ...

Andrew

I finally broke down and bought a $89 cycling rain jacket: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005RB6KN8. I've been a bit strapped for cash, but when I factored in the $5 in gas I spend per day not riding, and the 4 weeks of near-continuous rain we had in September, I realized that it was an investment rather than a nice-to-have. I've only ridden once since I got it and it didn't rain, but I'll give my assessment once I've gotten a chance to use it.

I've gone 2,200 miles on my bike and have yet to get caught in a rain shower (quite a feat in the Southeast coast during the summer!), so I'm not sure how long it'll be before I'll need to use it. ;)

http://www.bicycleclothing.com/ has lower cost rain gear, including capes and helmet covers, and they are made in the US. I have a cool REI Sugoi Zap Versa bike jacket (reflective, vented, removable sleeves that attach with magnets) but think a cape from Bicycle Clothing probably makes more sense in the summer. I have a rain helmet on the way from Taiga - I really want the visor to reduce water on my glasses and the protection down the back.

Back