Recommendations for a quality bike that can handle hills, and is comfortable for arthritis?

Oh, I didn’t mention a couple things.
Be sure to budget for accessories. The two most important ones for newbies are safety items:
- Very bright lights even during the day. This is so the many distracted drivers have a chance to see you. Many ebikes already have them.
- A good mirror. Helps to see what’s coming behind you, especially in the city. Lots of brands, I like Mirrcycle.

After a lot of test riding, I ended up with the Gazelle Ultimate C380+. It felt like it was made for me, and checked off most of my wants. I also got a Kinect suspension seatpost for it, and added a hitch + Thule Easyfold bike rack to my car for easy transportation.

My wallet hurts a bit after all that, but damn am I happy with my new e-bike!

The 'upgrade' bike I was considering after test riding was a Riese and Mueller Nevo. The main advantage of that one for me is that it has a step-through frame. However, the medium step of the C380+ is sufficient enough and not worth an extra couple grand.

I also decided against the Evelo bikes after getting great service at a local bike shop. Online bike sales just aren't for me, and I didn't want to have to purchase a bike in order to test ride it.

Hope this helps someone else with their decision. It's true that you do have to compromise somewhere when you want lots of features; some can be obtained by spending more. Getting an upright bike with a comfy fit, front suspension, a suspension seatpost (can be added on later), and a low-to-mid step through frame seems to be a good combo for joint issues, at least in my test riding.

Also, if you plan on adding a suspension post, be sure the bike will still fit. I am in-between sizes on bikes and found out that I needed to size down on the Gazelle to make the seatpost work.

After a lot of test riding, I ended up with the Gazelle Ultimate C380+. It felt like it was made for me, and checked off most of my wants. I also got a Kinect suspension seatpost for it, and added a hitch + Thule Easyfold bike rack to my car for easy transportation.

My wallet hurts a bit after all that, but damn am I happy with my new e-bike!

The 'upgrade' bike I was considering after test riding was a Riese and Mueller Nevo. The main advantage of that one for me is that it has a step-through frame. However, the medium step of the C380+ is sufficient enough and not worth an extra couple grand.

I also decided against the Evelo bikes after getting great service at a local bike shop. Online bike sales just aren't for me, and I didn't want to have to purchase a bike in order to test ride it.

Hope this helps someone else with their decision. It's true that you do have to compromise somewhere when you want lots of features; some can be obtained by spending more. Getting an upright bike with a comfy fit, front suspension, a suspension seatpost (can be added on later), and a low-to-mid step through frame seems to be a good combo for joint issues, at least in my test riding.

Also, if you plan on adding a suspension post, be sure the bike will still fit. I am in-between sizes on bikes and found out that I needed to size down on the Gazelle to make the seatpost work.
Congrats NovaCycles!
You’re gonna have a blast, like being a little kid again.
Many fun miles to you.

I'm coming upon this thread a month late but wanted to toss out a couple more ideas for accessories.

We bought two Lectric XP 2.0 step-thrus just before Christmas and love them. Very well-made and under $1K!

They fold but with all the features on these things they are 65+lbs. So instead we have an auto receiver-mount bike rack that makes it easy to transport them unfolded. I've installed a smartphone holder (for running the excellent "BikeComputerPro" app) and the bike has front suspension and seatpost rear suspension. A mirror that mounts on the left end of the handlebars makes it easy to see overtaking traffic. I added a wireless horn and alarm setup that is surprisingly effective and only ~$35. On the rear rack sits a folding wire basket that takes up very little space when collapsed but snaps out to hold a couple of bags of groceries. Oh, and the Lectric folding lock (similar to FoldyLock) is excellent.

Outfitting an eBike is a lot of fun, given all the accessories out there.

Knee arthritis here and while I rode extensively 30 years ago, now I'm delighted I can just twist-throttle my way up hills that I'd be walking up otherwise.

Back