Rear spoke size Moscow plus 27.5"?

Pleinalr

I just broke my first spoke on my way to work this morning. Do you guys know what size spokes to order?

Thanks,
Stephen

I had my first spoke go on my 29" Moscow Plus a couple of days ago.
I emailed Leoncycle customer services and they told me the required spoke sizes and mailed me some spares for free.

When I called they wouldn't tell me. They said they'd mail some but that was a month and a half ago...

When I called they wouldn't tell me. They said they'd mail some but that was a month and a half ago...
The length is easy enough to measure, you can use a ruler that measures millimetres. Measure from the inside of the J-bend to the very end of the threaded end of the spoke. I just ordered some spare spokes for repair of a 29er hub motor bike and mine were 252 mm long. As for the gauge they are likely 13 gauge, which are 2.3 mm. You'll need a digital or dial caliper or a micrometer to measure for sure. A measuring caliper is a very handy thing to have for all manner of bike repairs. I say likely 13g because most hub motor bikes are 13. The outside chance is they are 14g, that's 2.2 mm.

Whenever you replace a spoke you should always replace the nipple as well. The fine threads get cupped when you tension the spoke. The threads in the old nipple will only mate with the old spoke. When a new spoke is threaded into an old nipple the threads in both are stressed and weakened.

Don't be surprised if you need to remove one or two existing spokes to lace in the new spoke in the proper orientation. My 26" bike I had to remove two spokes to lace in a new one, my 29er I only had to remove one.

Good luck.

I emailed them and had a response within a couple of hours and received 6 new free spokes in the post this morning. I'm hoping I can fit them onto the old nipple without too much bother, i'm itching to get back out on the bike.

@Ryan - Leon Cycle What's the nipple size? I've tried a multi spoke wrench on size 13 and it worked, but this thing hurt my hand so I switched to a park tool SW-3 spoke wrench that is 3.96mm but it seems like it's too wide and rounded off all my nipples.

Sourcing from Wikipedia

1598547501564.png

I do. I am the logistics manager so I'm not the most knowledgeable about very specific components. Our lead technician advised to me that a 13G or #13 spoke wrench would do the trick. I googled the above to try and provide you a comparable measurement to what you originally provided. This is for USA and Canada in case that makes a difference.

I don't know about that...

You're right, it's "easy" but I would not want to take off my rim, tire, take off a spoke, measure it, re-install it, and re-true the rim again. 🤯

This sounds like a little too much work just to find out a length of spoke.
Well, I had just done that about a week prior to posting that. I had a broken spoke, I will not ride a wheel with a broken spoke. To repair a broken spoke and true the wheel properly in a truing stand, you remove the wheel and tire. I did that, then measured and called shops for the spokes. Next day did the repair. Total repair and truing time about 40 minutes.

How else do you propose to measure, repair and true? You can't ride a busted wheel, the steps are what they are.

@Ryan - Leon Cycle Coming back to the nipple size, I went on aliexpress to see what width 13g Chinese nipples had and it seems to be 3.62mm, but a 13g spoke wrench is 3.96mm wide. Hence why I rounded off a bunch of nipples. 3.62mm feels about right for how I feel the slack of the wrench around the nipple.

I just broke my first spoke on my way to work this morning. Do you guys know what size spokes to order?

Thanks,
Stephen
I also have 27.5 tires. Cannot find these spokes anywhere. Im up in Calgary Alberta. Does anyone know where locally or online i can buy Moscow spokes?

Thanks, the sizes are helpful, but i cannot find them.

Can anyone suggest an online provider as leoncycle in Canada does not stock them.

you or the bike shop will need to remove the disc brake to change the spokes. the Bolts they use are allen key bolts and they're really hard to take out and will strip easily. That's why it's better to use torx screws, but they went for cheaper in the assembly. I had to use extractor bits and drill the disc and the bolts with a dremel to take them out with a big flat head screwdriver. Real Hassle, wish they used torx screws...

you or the bike shop will need to remove the disc brake to change the spokes. the Bolts they use are allen key bolts and they're really hard to take out and will strip easily. That's why it's better to use torx screws, but they went for cheaper in the assembly. I had to use extractor bits and drill the disc and the bolts with a dremel to take them out with a big flat head screwdriver. Real Hassle, wish they used torx screws...
It's weird how these things seem to vary so much between people's bikes - my brake discs on my NCM Moscow in Australia are definitely held on with Torx bolts not allen bolts.

Back