Rear racks

I did the Topeak Super Uni Tourist rack for back in 2016 for my two Radrovers. This rack comes with the Quicktrack system for the Topeak MTX rack bags or you can use velcro/strap rack bags from other manufacturers. Very sturdy and zero issues in +4 years since install.

Thanks, guys..I think leaning more toward the Topeak Explorer as I won’t be needing pannier attachments.
Still trying to figure out If the Explorer with disc and spring will fit my fat tire Rover.

I don't think the Topeak Explorer is wide enough to fit over the rear of the Radrover frame?

The best one is the one that you buy from Rad Power. It includes everything you need to relocate the tail light.
Actually the longer cable you need to relocate the brake light can be bought at Amazon. I bought one there when I bought a Topeak rack and bag for my Rover Step through this spring.

Hey Gordon, which exact model Topeak rack did you get that fit over the fat tire fenders? And I’d of gotten the Rad rack but they are sold out and back ordered.

I have the same Topeak rear racks on my two 2016 Radrovers. I needed to add blue locktite to the screws because they would get loose after a few months. Very easy to strip the aluminum frame thread if you over torque the screw too much. Zero issue working themselves out after +3 1/2 years with locktite. Doesn't hurt to double-check the torque of all nuts/bolts/screws every few months (my Radcity kick-stand was the next loose screw I found).

Does yours have the ‘spring’ like the Explorer model?
I just looked at the Explorer and Tourist models on Amazon. I was pretty sure mine, the Tourist, did not have a spring, but I didn't know what you were talking about. The spring is an option with the Explorer, but not with the Tourist. Never having had it, I haven't missed it....

Not sure this is relevant, but I almost always have a Topeak trunk bag snapped onto the rack.

TT

I just looked at the Explorer and Tourist models on Amazon. I was pretty sure mine, the Tourist, did not have a spring, but I didn't know what you were talking about. The spring is an option with the Explorer, but not with the Tourist. Never having had it, I haven't missed it....

Not sure this is relevant, but I almost always have a Topeak trunk bag snapped onto the rack.

TT
That’s very good info, thanks. You know, bc the Rad factory rack is on back order I’m torn between waiting for it and just going with the rack you have, it’s down to that. Somehow

...oops. Anyway so without seeing them both in person it looks like the Topeak Tourist might be bigger metal and frame wise than I need as I won’t use panniers and the Rad rack a little smaller but can’t really tell. Any feedback/thoughts appreciated.

Which bike do you have? There may be different versions of at least the Topeak Tourist. I know the one I got was specifically for fat tire bikes with disk brakes. I don't think you want that one if you don't have fat tires. Looking back, I see you have the Rad Rover ST, so be sure you get something for fat tire bikes.

I've never used panniers, but I don't mind having that option. I don't see a lot of downside to having the option and not using it. Maybe sometime I'll want to do some cross country touring and need panniers. Even for a 40+ mile day trip, they could be used for a spare battery, water, lunch, etc.

Plus, I really like the ability to snap on different Topeak bags, should the need arise. It's basically push button easy to swap bags, or take one off to carry with you when you lock up your bike. There are ways to do that with other racks, but not nearly as easily.

I don't understand Rad's inability to keep things in stock. It seems to be their business model, but I can't imagine the number of sales they must lose because almost everything is just about always "temporarily out of stock." Of course I haven't used their rack, but, for me anyway, it doesn't seem worth waiting for when I know there's another excellent option available.

TT

Back