Rear rack for Yamaha cross core

Jetsfan901

Picking up my bike in a few hours. Can anyone recommend a rack for the rear of the bike that is portable, meaning I can just put it on when needed and then take it off when I don't need it. I like the lines of the bike without the rack, but for long rides I would like to have it on.

I ended up with the Topeak V beam rack on my Civante and it’s worked out great. Despite the one mounting point - the seat post - it has not given me any problems with moving or wobbling around.

They make three versions - the V drops the rack down a little lower which seems to be the best choice for the Yamaha frame, at least. I have the trunk bag shown, which while it is a great bag, annoys me because it’s so high and involves some gymnastic leg maneuvers climbing on and off... I added the frame kit that allows hanging panniers on the rack but still doesn’t add any other mounting points. I’ve got some small Giant panniers that work great, so lots of choices.

1604755168687.jpeg

I ended up with the Topeak V beam rack on my Civante and it’s worked out great. Despite the one mounting point - the seat post - it has not given me any problems with moving or wobbling around.

They make three versions - the V drops the rack down a little lower which seems to be the best choice for the Yamaha frame, at least. I have the trunk bag shown, which while it is a great bag, annoys me because it’s so high and involves some gymnastic leg maneuvers climbing on and off... I added the frame kit that allows hanging panniers on the rack but still doesn’t add any other mounting points. I’ve got some small Giant panniers that work great, so lots of choices.

View attachment 70821
Thanks for the reply. That is the rack I have been looking at, but I was a little worried about the one connection point. I was looking at the size E, but seeing the V on your bike, that is the one I will order.
By the way, that is a beautiful bike, the Civante. I am heading over now to pick up my cross core, and having some regrets I didn't go with the Civante. .

I wouldn’t worry too much about it. The higher speed is fun enough, but I’ve got a Class 1 bike as well that I’ve put 5000 very happy miles on just fine. The Yamaha feels great though, very responsive and a lot of fun to ride. Happy trails!

Picked up the bike today. Realized since I put the suspension seat post on the bike, the Topeak racks that attach to the seat post won't work. Not enough room to fit...

If you don't want a traditional rack and a seat post rack won't work, you may consider one of those extended saddle bags. I have a similar 5L one that I'd occasionally use on my road bike.

BikeMan, thanks for the recommendation on the Old Man racks. They are a bit pricey though. What set's them apart from the competition?

They are very well built and designed if you are going to carry panniers.. Seatpost racks aren't that stable if you are packing 15 pounds per pannier, and the only alternative for a full suspension bike is the topeak tetrarack, which clamps on via velcro and has a weight limitation. Old man mountain do offer a satisfaction guarantee if you don't like it.

I am very happy with my racks. See some of my other posts for pictures. Thanks @Mike TowpathTraveler, he is the one who sold me on the racks.

Back