Rear Rack Bag?

Gene02638

I've just bought a WattWagon fat tire bike and I'm having trouble finding a bag that fits the rear rack. Specifically, most bag appear to use two long straps that fit across the rack at front and rear. Or I should say are supposed to fit... likely ok on a traditional rack, but much to short for a wide tire rack. I'm thinking four short straps, one at each corner is the way to go. Anyone have one in mind and care to share a link if possible?

Being a cheapskate, I go to Goodwill, thrifts, & garage sales to find something I can adapt to the purpose, This has
worked well. I modified a carry-on garment bag into a better in-frame pannier than I could buy & have adapted other
finds to various purposes at little expense with good results. Use your imagination.

Try REI sports Look at the To peak brand. They have a bracket you mount on the rack so it is truly universal and the bag comes on or off. They also have a really nice bag that does strap on with Velcro, this fit the rack the best for me. It is on a himiway cruiser. The color and texture fits the bike perfectly. It has saddle bags that unzip too. Very nice but expensive for what it is. $130 in store

Take a look at Axiom Seymour Oceanweave. one strap in each corner. Exactly what you’re talking about

The Arkel Tailrider is an awesome bag and uses four velcro straps, one at each corner. Recommended.

tempImagemy1ngt.jpg

Try REI sports Look at the To peak brand. They have a bracket you mount on the rack so it is truly universal and the bag comes on or off. They also have a really nice bag that does strap on with Velcro, this fit the rack the best for me. It is on a himiway cruiser. The color and texture fits the bike perfectly. It has saddle bags that unzip too. Very nice but expensive for what it is. $130 in store
We did the same. Love being able to take it off easily when we go into the grocery store.

This idea has been posted here many times.
I'm a fan of quick attach rack bags, which make it fast & easy to install and remove. Unfortunately, the rear rack on my e-bike is too wide for such a setup. I made an adapter which lets me use my collection of Bontrager Interchange Trunk bags on all my bikes. No more tying & untying rack bags when I swap bikes.

I cut up an old Bontrager rack and fastened it to the bike with insulated cable
clamps.
41wzWumQ-uL.jpg P1070100a.jpg P1070101a (1).jpg P1090070b.jpg

The clamps are sturdy and don't mar the bike finish. This method will work with a great many different racks & bags.

I have a two Topeak MTX DXP rack bag with one having the QuickTrack system and the other bag with four velcro straps (two front, two under). The QuickTrack MTX bag is for my Radrover with the Topeak rear rack with the QuickTrack sliding channel. The other MTX bag with velcro is for my wife's Radcity step-thru with a built-in rear rack. The velcro straps under the bag for the smaller Radcity are not long enough for the rack. I ended up purchasing Velcro double sided hook/loop tape in a 12ftX3/4" roll on Amazon, $8. I just added about +/- 6 inches of velcro tape to the end of the Topeak bag to make the two bottom straps longer. No extra velcro needed for the two Topeak straps at the front of bag. Works perfectly holding the rack bag secure for paved road, bumpy trail, and on the SUV hitch rack at +75 mph.

Last edited:
Back