rear mirror or radar

CTDude

Region
USA
Hello all! I'm a newbie here and I just purchased my first eMTB (Viribus Panther). So far I love riding it and want to learn much more. I'm considering getting either handlebar mounted mirrors or possibly radar and welcome any an all suggestions and input as to which might be better. I don't ride too often in the woods yet and it's more on the streets and roads near my home.

People think well of the Garmin Varia.

For mirrors, I like helmet-mounted mirrors for a bunch of reasons. The least expensive and simplest are typically Good Enough and in my opinion the most appropriate tech.

All of these mirrors are small and have a narrow field of view, it is easy to tilt your head from side to side to expand the field of view and that is easier and safer than wiggling your handlebars to be able to see more. Also, a mirror on your handlebars is at higher risk from breaking off if you hit something, get too close to something, or if your bike falls over when parked.

I have a handlebar mirror and recently also got a radar (Garmin Varia). If necessary, I’d use the mirror without the radar (as I did before getting the radar), but not vice versa.

From my first rides with the Garmin yesterday and today, I am finding it to be extremely useful in combination with a mirror. Doubt I’d go back to mirror-only, but I definitely can’t see going to radar only, at least not in my case. So, I’d get both if you can.

Both. The Varia is good but doesnt give much warning if cars are coming up behind you fast. You see a brief indicatior and they pass you (hopefully) - not enough time to react. And it cant see around curves. I like seeing the warning come up on my display but Im not always looking at it. Whenever Im street riding, and especially in areas with no shoulder or room to get off the road, much less a bike lane (what’s that?), I use the mirror religiously. If I had to pick one or the other Id pick the mirror, but the Varia also provides a very noticeable, bright flashing red taillight, so its a good combination. I use a Serfas mirror - kind of big but has a pretty good field of view and holds adjustment well.
FB643C03-79D7-4409-8432-96307AF10FEE.jpeg

Radar is a good addition but not a substitute for a quality mirror. If you do get into trail riding, be aware that radar is of little use.

Radar that uses a cell phone to display alerts can also drain the phone battery. This can be a problem if you use other phone apps. For visual alerts, It is also necessary to have the phone in view, usually mounted on the handlebars. This is a personal thing but I prefer to carry my phone in my pocket. That way, if I have an accident and get separated from the bike, I can still call for help.

In any case, welcome to the forum! You've come to the right place to ask your questions!

The garmin varia warns of approaching metal over a 120 degree cone to the rear. I warned me of trucks on the freeway through a chain link fence 300' to the side. It warned me of traffic on cross streets moving at 90 degrees to my path, streets I had passed already. It provided so many false alarms I took the indicator pod off the bicycle. I still use it as a taillight.

Back